• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM133: Bird Battle! Brave Bird VS God Bird!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it can. Rowlet can be tutored the move in USUM.
Well, Rotom says that Rowlet cannot learn the move in the episode where it learn it... I guess it’s technically 'tutored' by the Pikipek evolution family to Rowlet. At least according to the anime, Rowlet isn’t biologically capable of seed bomb without external means.

Well, Rotom says that Rowlet cannot learn the move in the episode where it learn it... I guess it’s technically 'tutored' by the Pikipek evolution family to Rowlet. At least according to the anime, Rowlet isn’t biologically capable of seed bomb without external means.
Which makes no sense at all considering Rowlett is capable of doing the move. Them saying that is like them saying that because Pikachu isn’t metallic at all that the only way for it to learn Iron Tail is for it to have it grip a metal pipe with its tail to use for assistance.

Which makes no sense at all considering Rowlett is capable of doing the move. Them saying that is like them saying that because Pikachu isn’t metallic at all that the only way for it to learn Iron Tail is for it to have it grip a metal pipe with its tail to use for assistance.
It’s just a case of the anime not considering seed bomb a part of Rowlet's moveset for some weird reason.
The move (which the original argument was) has been mastered in the improvised form it learnt it in.

In this universe Rowlet isn’t capable of shooting seeds for some reason so the 'perfection' isn’t going to happen, and idk why are people expecting that. It’s a new case of anime logic =/= game logic.

There are perfectly better things to hate Rowlet on anyway...

Rowlet can’t learn Bullet Seed, which is what Rotom said...

This episode is going to be two half battles- I wonder what we’ll see in between?

This is how I think the battle between Ash and Hau will end:
We already saw the brave bird vs god bird clash in the preview. The owls are getting up, but the next attack will be decisive. Hau's Decidueye uses spirit shackle to prevent Rowlet from moving, so Decidueye can perform another sky attack. The only way for Rowlet to escape from sky attack, is using feather dance. Feather dance saves Rowlet, Decidueye is wide open to attack and with another brave bird the battle wil end.

This is predictable, I know. Hopefully the writers will be a bit more creative to give Rowlet a great victory!

The Rowlet line cannot biologically use seed bomb though, Rowlet's just using a different version which everyone decides to call seed bomb due to the resemblance.
It’s mastered it’s own version of the move.
It’s just a case of the anime not considering seed bomb a part of Rowlet's moveset for some weird reason.
The move (which the original argument was) has been mastered in the improvised form it learnt it in.

In this universe Rowlet isn’t capable of shooting seeds for some reason so the 'perfection' isn’t going to happen, and idk why are people expecting that. It’s a new case of anime logic =/= game logic.

Rotom never said Rowlet couldn't learn Seed Bomb; he specifically said it cannot learn Bullet Seed, which is true.

The Rowlet line is capable of learning Seed Bomb as of USUM. In the episode in question, Rowlet learned the move by himself without any assistance from the Pikipek. In regards to being incapable of producing seeds, whose to say? It could very well be a variation rather than a shoddy adaptation, just because the move doesn't resemble what we've visually seen in the anime so far. IIRC, no one has mentioned in the saga so far how Rowlet's version isn't the proper way to perform the move. Now that I think about it, the writer's having Rowlet perform the move this way is probably an allusion to owls swallowing stones in real life to help grind food down in their gizzards. Just another example of that Alola species diversity, I guess.

Yeah, I admit I got the two moves confused. I think @Alola’s explanation is probably the likeliest one. Rowlet’s seed bomb reminds me of the improved moves from the DP series, as much as I hate the owl.
Personally I find that, even if it was the writers trying to be clever, all they ended up doing was make it impractical. Due to how they’ve done it here, Rowlett is incapable of doing the move unless it swallows a rock. In such a thing, should it lose the rock, it’s now down an entire move. Now had that been a developmental stage for it, sure, that would show nice development in Rowlett’s strength as it grows to not require “training wheels”. But sadly, I doubt the writers put that much thought into it.

Isn't it weird that neither Bullet Seed nor Seed Bomb had anything with actual seeds?

Personally I find that, even if it was the writers trying to be clever, all they ended up doing was make it impractical. Due to how they’ve done it here, Rowlett is incapable of doing the move unless it swallows a rock. In such a thing, should it lose the rock, it’s now down an entire move. Now had that been a developmental stage for it, sure, that would show nice development in Rowlett’s strength as it grows to not require “training wheels”. But sadly, I doubt the writers put that much thought into it.

No different from Kiawe's Marowak being down three moves (Shadow Bone, Bonemerang, and Flare Blitz) without its bone. Or the Oshawott family depending on their shells.

Lots of Pokemon depend on tools. The way Toucannon and Trumbeak used Bullet Seed also wasn't anything like how Bullet Seed was used in past series. They also need to swallow rocks to use Bullet Seed.

No different from Kiawe's Marowak being down three moves (Shadow Bone, Bonemerang, and Flare Blitz) without its bone. Or the Oshawott family depending on their shells.

Lots of Pokemon depend on tools. The way Toucannon and Trumbeak used Bullet Seed also wasn't anything like how Bullet Seed was used in past series. They also need to swallow rocks to use Bullet Seed.
Difference there is that the tool that those Pokémon use have always been a part of their general appearance (plus are the Pokémon lines that premiered the attacks with them made specifically for those Pokémon). In the case of these birds in Sun and Moon, the writers just invented these handicaps where they weren’t necessarily. For example, normal types like a Meowth have been shown able to use electric type attacks with no trouble in spite of lacking thunder sacks to store electricity like Pikachu has. The anime never seemed very concerned about where the power to use these moves came from until now.

Some screenshots for tomorrow’s episode. Nothing new in particular. カキVSマーマネ!白熱の決勝トーナメント!!TVアニメ『ポケットモンスター サン&ムーン』8月4日放送のあらすじ&先行カットが到着 | 超!アニメディア

Summary (roughly translated)
“Bird Battle! Brave Bird vs Sky Attack !!” The Alola Pokemon League tournament second round is a heated match between Satoshi and Hau. Can Mokuroh perform "feather dance" after special training? Mokuroh vs Junaiper final decision! And, Kaki vs. Mamane, the second match of the final tournament in which the fighting spirit burns, the third game begins!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom