• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM133: Bird Battle! Brave Bird VS God Bird!!

Guess we're lucky that Rowlet didn't defeat Decidueye with Tackle like Pikachu defeated Musdale with Gigavolt Havoc
But it won't had a second chance, when battling with Guzma or Gladion. History always repeat itself ALWAYS. Unless, only miracle occurs.

This League would have been infinitely more interesting if Satoshi had actually lost here (his pokemon was declared unable to battle and everything) but no, the writers give him all the plot armor they could to get to the finals since they never bothered to give him a team that could legitimately get him there on its own.

I'm soooo glad I'm not

I think it was still Feather Dance.

It was.

Even with the fake-out moment I mentioned, this was still quite frankly another poor offering from Junichi and even one of the worst episodes in the series.

I’ll admit that scene actually surprised me at first but once it’s revealed that Rowlet was dozing off again I literally groaned in disgust.

Also Hala did poor Hau dirty. Like f**k me, the poor kid deserved better.

Last edited:
Even with the fake-out moment I mentioned, this was still quite frankly another poor offering from Junichi.

I’ll admit that scene actually surprised me at first but once it’s revealed that Rowlet was dozing off again I literally groaned in disgust.

One reason I don't like Rowlet much, its mostly comic relief and this was supposed to be a serious battle yet it continued to be its usual comedic self

One reason I don't like Rowlet much, its mostly comic relief and this was supposed to be a serious battle yet it continued to be its usual comedic self
It’s quite frankly become the worst member of Ash’s already disappointing Alolan team next to Poipole and I’d hate to admit this but I’ll be dancing in the hills once Ash drops it off to Oak’s lab to rot for all eternity.

It’s quite frankly become the worst member of Ash’s already disappointing Alolan team next to Poipole and I’d hate to admit this but I’ll be dancing in the hills once Ash drops it off to Oak’s lab to rot for all eternity.
You said it, pal. Despite being a comedy relief, Rowlet is truly Ash's worst member of his party as it only sleeps and does nothing.

This has got to be one of the worst episodes in the entire Pokemon anime; honestly. I can't even review it how I'd like because I'm that bothered. Hau and Decidueye didn't deserve that and Ash & Rowlet certainly didn't deserve that.

The only thing I thought was neat was Meltan being inspired to possibly call for aid in an effort to become Melmetal, by the time Ash faces Guzma.

Fujisaku doesn't seem to understand that serious battles and running gags don't mix well.
....The fake out loss was not funny. At all.
Agreed. And they extended that scene for way too long. They could've just had Hala interrupt Nanu's judgment to say his message instead of giving his grandson a minute of false joy.
The only thing I thought was neat was Meltan being inspired to possibly call for aid in an effort to become Melmetal, by the time Ash faces Guzma.
Or when he faces Gladion. Quite possibly the only good point of the episode.

This has got to be one of the worst episodes in the entire Pokemon anime; honestly. I can't even review it how I'd like because I'm that bothered. Hau and Decidueye didn't deserve that and Ash & Rowlet certainly didn't deserve that.

We all know that Guzma's Golisopod has Poison Jab that can poison any Pokemon except for Steel-type Pokemon which are immune to it. I think using Meltan or Melmetal will probably solve the problem.

This episode was, frankly, ridiculous. I don't care if Mokuroh was asleep or not... it was declared unable to battle and Hau was officially the winner. Hell, I actually think Mokuroh was knocked out there briefly. I no longer care if Satoshi wins this league or not because in my opinion he's a fraudulent competitor. Hau should have progressed.

Also, Hala is the worst grandfather in the world. Imagine winning a match only for your grandad to stand up, tell you to sit your ass down and proceeds to overturn the judge's decision so it goes against you. Poor Hau, I legitimately feel sorry for him.

Jun'ichi, Jun'ichi, Jun'ichi... For a moment there I thought we were finally going to get a good battle episode out of you, and when Ash lost I was genuinely impressed that you had the guts to have Hau win and have the rest of the League go on even without our main character in the running. Too bad that didn't happen.

I didn't even like Hau in the games and although his anime counterpart is a vast improvement on that jumpy git I still never took much interest in him, but I genuinely felt bad for him when his own Grandfather overturned his victory just to propagate a running gag that has no business being deployed in this context. This was only made worse when he went on to lose in a plagiarizing of the Z-Move dodging thing from the previous episode made the episode go from bad to probably the worst one since the Kalos League final, if not even further back.

I'm sorry, Fujisaku, but you just cannot write battles to save yourself. Electro Web Z-Move blocking, literally 5 minutes of Metang vs. Alolan Golem facial-hair exchanging and Ash using outside interference to soak Hapu's Mudsdale, all you, and every one of those alone should have been a red flag to take you off battle episodes, let alone all three of them. It's such a huge shame because your first ever episode (the baseball one) was one of the most well-regarded of Sun and Moon's early run, what the hell happened?

There are things in series I can only imagine were originally jokes.

Vrains has Revolver and his use of Mirror Force and older traps like Magic Cylinder and Mind Crush. There is no telling me the entire idea didn't originate from a joke.

Staff writer: Okay, so what sort of effect should we give this mystery trap we hype up for a few episodes before giving it a name?

Staff writer: Mirror Force!

That fake out......had to be a joke, right? After how people reacted to the last losses, they did that?

Who on earth thought that would be funny!?

Jun'ichi, Jun'ichi, Jun'ichi... For a moment there I thought we were finally going to get a good battle episode out of you, and when Ash lost I was genuinely impressed that you had the guts to have Hau win and have the rest of the League go on even without our main character in the running. Too bad that didn't happen.

I didn't even like Hau in the games and although his anime counterpart is a vast improvement on that jumpy git I still never took much interest in him, but I genuinely felt bad for him when his own Grandfather overturned his victory just to propagate a running gag that has no business being deployed in this context. This was only made worse when he went on to lose in a plagiarizing of the Z-Move dodging thing from the previous episode made the episode go from bad to probably the worst one since the Kalos League final, if not even further back.

I'm sorry, Fujisaku, but you just cannot write battles to save yourself. Electro Web Z-Move blocking, literally 5 minutes of Metang vs. Alolan Golem facial-hair exchanging and Ash using outside interference to soak Hapu's Mudsdale, all you, and every one of those alone should have been a red flag to take you off battle episodes, let alone all three of them. It's such a huge shame because your first ever episode (the baseball one) was one of the most well-regarded of Sun and Moon's early run, what the hell happened?

Why do they put this guy on battles again? Don't they have other episode types for him to write, especially in SM?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom