• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM133: Bird Battle! Brave Bird VS God Bird!!

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm realizing how incredibly lucky Ash was. After all, he was on the verge of losing three times. First, when Decidueyes Z-Move only hit Rowlet's cloak, second after the two Flying-type attacks clashed and Rowlet miraculously only fell asleep (ok that smelled like Deues ex machina to be honest) and third, when Rowlet learned that Feather Dance/ Substitute move at the very last moment.

If Ash had lost, he couldn't have complained, given how incredibly lucky he was. So yes, I can see why some fans are angry.
But still, I like the episode pretty much. Let's just hope the next battles are more ..."balanced"

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm realizing how incredibly lucky Ash was. After all, he was on the verge of losing three times. First, when Decidueyes Z-Move only hit Rowlet's cloak, second after the two Flying-type attacks clashed and Rowlet miraculously only fell asleep (ok that smelled like Deues ex machina to be honest) and third, when Rowlet learned that Feather Dance/ Substitute move at the very last moment.

If Ash had lost, he couldn't have complained, given how incredibly lucky he was. So yes, I can see why some fans are angry.
But still, I like the episode pretty much. Let's just hope the next battles are more ..."balanced"
Plot armor at its most blatant.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm realizing how incredibly lucky Ash was. After all, he was on the verge of losing three times. First, when Decidueyes Z-Move only hit Rowlet's cloak, second after the two Flying-type attacks clashed and Rowlet miraculously only fell asleep (ok that smelled like Deues ex machina to be honest) and third, when Rowlet learned that Feather Dance/ Substitute move at the very last moment. If Ash had lost, he couldn't have complained, given how incredibly lucky he was. So yes, I can see why some fans are angry.
Not really, considering how Decidueye escaped Rowlet's Z-Move by simply flying slightly sideways, and how Rowlet is getting trapped constantly.

Rowlet being trapped by a trapping move is perfectly reasonable though, even when it could escape easily, it got trapped. So its more on Rowlet’s ineptitude than bad luck.
Either way, it's forced writing to show Hau and Juniper as competent rivals.

Either way, it's forced writing to show Hau and Juniper as competent rivals.
And it was forced writing to show Rowlet winning the way it did.

The cloak blocking Z-Move thing shouldn’t have worked since the arrows hit Rowlet and exploded anyway. The bird focused more on playing fetch with the everstone instead of trying to avoid Spirit Shackle a second time.

At least Decidueye flying to avoid a Z-Move was not illogical.

And it was forced writing to show Rowlet winning the way it did.
Obviously. Rowlet should win it easily, instead of the complicated way they showed. Decidueye's dodging the Z-Move was ridiculously easy, Rowlet stupidly trapped same way twice in front of its trainer's eyes, etc.

Obviously. Rowlet should win it easily, instead of the complicated way they showed. Decidueye's dodging the Z-Move was ridiculously easy, Rowlet stupidly trapped same way twice in front of its trainer's eyes, etc.
I doubt Rowlet is that much stronger than Decidueye. Hau took on grand trials and trained while it was sleeping. Evolving two times is a mark of training, too.

Late to the party, but here to post my thoughts as per usual...

-going into this episode rooting for Ash to win...because doy; it’d be nice to have our protag finally win a league after all these years
-DID HAU REALLY WIN WTFFFFFFFFF
-or are they about to pull a gag on all of us...I’m sorry, but I refuse to believe Hau has won just yet...it just doesn’t make sense with what I thought the story was leading us to believe :s
-NOT HIS GRANDPA BEING THE ONE TO CALL OUT THAT HE MIGHT NOT HAVE ACTUALLY WON LOL....that’s gonna make thanksgiving awkward...
-DID ROWLET FALL ASLEEP OH MY GODDDDDDD
-has this ever happened before where a match was called one way and then there was a technicality or something...I’m gonna need some anipoke historians to do some research
-since when does feather dance allow you to escape Spirit Shackle...the writers are REACHING to allow Ash to win this battle lol
-precious Hau is crying...and now I’m crying ;(
-random ass Bewear scene...I was perfectly happy forgetting she existed tbh :)
-Meltan is gonna evolve into Melmetal in time for Ash’s final league battle; I’m calling it now
-really rooting for Kiawe to win this battle...but I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers had Sophocles win just for shock value and developing his character...they know both these characters are doomed to lose anyways, so they can go either way with who wins/loses this battle :0
-Sophocles is smart to pull out a Z-move early...cuz if Charizard lands even one fire attack on Vikavolt, he’s completely over lol
-and.......a cliffhanger

-as for next week, I’m not eager at all to see Lana lose to Guzma, but maybe I should hold on to some small sliver of hope that they won’t do my girl completely dirty...

-has this ever happened before where a match was called one way and then there was a technicality or something...I’m gonna need some anipoke historians to do some research
Some judgments have been interrupted before being completed, but never before has there been a case like this, as far as I know.
-really rooting for Kiawe to win this battle...but I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers had Sophocles win just for shock value and developing his character...they know both these characters are doomed to lose anyways, so they can go either way with who wins/loses this battle :0
Nah. Future titles have confirmed Kiawe will win, which was to be expected, to be honest.
-as for next week, I’m not eager at all to see Lana lose to Guzma, but maybe I should hold on to some small sliver of hope that they won’t do my girl completely dirty...
Lana will lose. That is clear by future episode summaries.

I doubt Rowlet is that much stronger than Decidueye. Hau took on grand trials and trained while it was sleeping. Evolving two times is a mark of training, too.
It only one won, while Rowlet used in many different trials.

And, for all we know, Decidueye was used in the Melemele trial and grand trial. And that had to have happened recently. Meanwhile, as V pointed out, Rowlet has spent most of the time since it defeated Dartrix sleeping (including during his training session in the episode before) and the last time it was used in a trial/grand trial was during the Akala trip, which happened about two years ago.

With that kind of context, Rowlet being bulky enough to take tons of attacks from its evolved form, as well as it being powerful enough to take Decidueye out in just two hits is beyond farfetched.

And, for all we know, Decidueye was used in the Melemele trial and grand trial. And that had to have happened recently. Meanwhile, as V pointed out, Rowlet has spent most of the time since it defeated Dartrix sleeping (including during his training session in the episode before) and the last time it was used in a trial/grand trial was during the Akala trip, which happened about two years ago.

With that kind of context, Rowlet being bulky enough to take tons of attacks from its evolved form, as well as it being powerful enough to take Decidueye out in just two hits is beyond farfetched.
It did help with meltan's situation and battled ryuki

Plot armor at its most blatant.
Remember when Ash’s battles were good, demonstrated his skill as a trainer along with his Pokémon’s growth and not either won by pure plot armor or gags? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Rowlett was used in 2 trials and not even a recent one. He hasn’t been used since Olivia. It’s not like he was the regional star Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom