• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM135: The Semifinals! Kaki VS Glazio!!

What a cute episode of first part for Mimo and Gladion after he rescue her from Team Skull bulling. While on the second part to see how fierce battle of Gladion and Kiawe and finally see Gladion's Lycanroc lost for the first time ever since two year ago.

Overall rating: B+

Last edited:
Is it just me, or did Lycanroc look absolutely terrifying while using Outrage?

Lycanroc certainly did, helped make the battle a lot better than Ash vs Hau

Sadly I ended up missing the first 5 or 6 minutes because of problems with the stream but caught most of it

Mimo was adorably cute as always, loved how Gladion seemed to see Lillie in her whilst they were walking along

I love the love between Kiawe and Mimo, seeing them together was so adorable

I'm glad that battles are two on two as one vs one was rather boring

Team Rocket were rather pointless this episode and it sadly looks like they're going to do their bit of trying to steal other Pokemon again

Another good episode to go with last week's, I appreciate them making up for Ash vs. Hau by giving us two solid episodes, both with actually good battles and what looks to be a third one to come. My only real complaint would be that Marowak got KO'd a bit too quickly, but other than that it was just as good as last week's. Hoshi was adorable as always, and I liked how the preview from last week presented her as having something of a crush on Gladio, only for the episode to come along and completely ignore that and just show her as an innocent little girl expressing gratitude to someone who saved her from danger, that's how you bait an audience, in a way that doesn't completely crap on a character who doesn't deserve it. I also like that they've found a purpose for her other than, "people liked Eureka, right? Let's give Kaki a little sister too," and will actually tie her into the Gladio family plot.

They did a good job of showing just how strong both Midnight Lugarugan and Bakugames are, with both displaying their power and the strategies of their trainers. Genuinely didn't know which of them was going to win there for a while. They also managed to get the running gag of Lychee falling over in there without it being obnoxious or mistimed, which I enjoyed. I certainly hope these last two episodes are indicative of how the League will be from hereon out.

Hoshi part was kinda pointless in the end, yet it's still cute so I can't complain of it.
Lilie is a traitor, cheering for a brother she barely talk anymore, instead of her friend.

This was a decent showing. The battle was well written (although Bakugames took so many hits that it won't make sense if it lasts very long against Silvady next week) and all the filler-y scenes were good fun. I had thought Kaki/Gladio a pointless match-up but the big brother connection is quite nice. Team Skull continue to be utterly adorable. I'm looking forward to seeing Guzma go berserk in the next couple of weeks.

I love how the TRio momentarily forgot that their shtick is the evils of love and truth, as opposed to Musashi's 'doughnuts of love and truth' WTF WOMAN :ROFLMAO: Between their plans to capture all the Pokemon at the League and Guzma's plans to destroy eVeRyThiNG, however, I can unfortunately not see any good coming of the ending of this arc...

Lilie is a traitor, cheering for a brother she barely talk anymore, instead of her friend.
If I had to watch a league battle that involves a friend I would've only known for a few "months", and my older brother who I've not seen much in that same time, but still grew up with and know that he still cares for me as well as our mom and missing dad, I'd choose to cheer for my brother.

I love how the TRio momentarily forgot that their shtick is the evils of love and truth, as opposed to Musashi's 'doughnuts of love and truth' WTF WOMAN :ROFLMAO: Between their plans to capture all the Pokemon at the League and Guzma's plans to destroy eVeRyThiNG, however, I can unfortunately not see any good coming of the ending of this arc...
So, if Team Rocket decides to attack the league during the finals and steal thousands of Pokémon because Jessie couldn't get through the second round, that might bring back the sore loser revenge attacks that have not been seen much since DP. And again, I would see bystander syndrome among everyone except Ash and the current cast.

So, if Team Rocket decides to attack the league during the finals and steal thousands of Pokémon because Jessie couldn't get through the second round, that might bring back the sore loser revenge attacks that have not been seen much since DP. And again, I would see bystander syndrome among everyone except Ash and the current cast.
It's actually not for that reason, but rather to reclaim their status as villains rather than recurring characters who sell doughnuts.

But yeah, let's hope that doesn't actually happen, or at least not in the way we're probably all imagining it.

Another enjoyable league episode with some 'a spicy hot a' goodness" from Aito Ohashi for some of the battle. Gladion vs Kiawe is a pretty good battle so far and yay, Torracat gets to part for a bit next week...

for a total of 3 seconds before Golisopod rips the poor thing to shreds.

I liked this episode, it’s good that both semifinal battles will get 1.5 episodes dedicated to each of the remaining contenders..

Next week’s episode is also looking like it’ll be pretty good, I can’t wait to see Guzma go mental at the fact that he’s not able to do to Ash what he did to Lana making him rage as he sees Kukui in Ash’s eyes..

What was the point of Team Rockets shtick of trying to go back to their old ways of stealing all of the Pokémon at league when obviously they’re gonna fail? Sell your doughnuts, make some dough and then mess up whatever after the league is done..

As for the battle, it looks like Silvally vs Turtanator will be a “fiery” battle, Marowak got knocked out too easily and I think Bakugames learned a new move as well.. Kiawe may not the be strongest trainer but he’s not a scrub either and is imo giving Gladion a very passionate fight.

Can someone explain to me what happened when Guzma was interacting with his Team Skull crew and Plumeria mentioned “Satoshi” and Guzma just scoffed it off, thanks!

Attachments

• FE040248-1B67-4F5D-9863-CC323C6DDC94.jpeg
    FE040248-1B67-4F5D-9863-CC323C6DDC94.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 648
If I had to watch a league battle that involves a friend I would've only known for a few "months"
Where did you get that she only known him for months? Even Satoshi known him that much. They should be in that school for years.
and my older brother who I've not seen much in that same time, but still grew up with
She didn't really "grew up with" him. She barely remember her time with her brother, as she was still a toddler, and then he abandoned her for most of her childhood.
and know that he still cares for me
How she even knew that? In just this episode, he interacted more with someone else's sister. He only cares about the idealized Lilie he left in the past.

Next week’s episode is also looking like it’ll be pretty good, I can’t wait to see Guzma go mental at the fact that he’s not able to do to Ash what he did to Lana making him rage as he sees Kukui in Ash’s eyes..
If I recall the preview summaries correctly, Guzma is going crazy because Golisopod's Emergency Exit activated.
I think Bakugames learned a new move as well..
It learned Focus Blast.

Where did you get that she only known him for months? Even Satoshi known him that much. They should be in that school for years.

She didn't really "grew up with" him. She barely remember her time with her brother, as she was still a toddler, and then he abandoned her for most of her childhood.

How she even knew that? In just this episode, he interacted more with someone else's sister. He only cares about the idealized Lilie he left in the past.
It's the anime, remember? I doubt they met before she turned 10 and started the school, and I doubt she's older than 10. And time doesn't pass in this series, hence "months".

Also, don't forget the old saying "blood is thicker than water". Even if they didn't spend much time together, Gladion is still Lillie's brother. You can't just berate her for rooting for family unless you have actual proof that Kiawe was a better brother than Gladion. But given the writers don't care about backstories unless it's plot relevant, and with all three characters set to be "forgotten" by Christmas, we will never know.

Kiawe vs Gladion is awesome so far! Fast paced action combined with good strategies is essential for a good battle and this semi-final has both. I wonder if we will see the red glowing eyes again, not only from midnight Lycanroc but also dusk Lycanroc. The expression of Lycanroc during that battle segment reminded me of Bowletta from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

So Plumeria gives Guzma a warning to be careful for Ash, of course the proud Guzma ignores the warning. So Ash gave a good First Impression on Plumeria I guess :D

From the looks of it, they saved budget during the early part of the league so they can go all out during the (semi)finals. I give this episode a 8.5/10.
Positives:
  • Very good battle so far I am really enjoying it
  • I liked the Hoshi and Gladion part
  • The way they set up the semi finals with Ash and Kiawe training, Plumeria warning Guzma and Gladion saving Hoshi
Nitpicks:
  • Marowak went down a bit too early, but it was fighting longer than vs Zweilous (not a big achievement)
  • The Team Rocket and Bewear segments took the attention away for the semifinals, I would have liked it if that time went to more character interactions between Gladion and Kiawe or Ash and Guzma

Last edited:
This spent ages on things that weren’t battles, as a result of that Marowak was made to look pathetic so it could lose fast enough.

When Turtanator was sent out, the episode got awesome! For the last 4 minutes we had some really great battling. Lycanroc was monstrously cool once it stopped spamming Stone Edge.

Can someone explain to me what happened when Guzma was interacting with his Team Skull crew and Plumeria mentioned “Satoshi” and Guzma just scoffed it off, thanks!
Like said above, Plumeria tried to warn Guzma about how strong Satoshi is. Guzma responded with "Have you forgotten? I'm the undefeated legend" while the grunts continued cheering him. Plumeria thought to herself that the others don't know the real reason why Guzma is "undefeated"...

It's the anime, remember?
Remember what?
I doubt they met before she turned 10 and started the school, and I doubt she's older than 10. And time doesn't pass in this series, hence "months".
Where did they say that they didn't go to school till they're 10?
Also, don't forget the old saying "blood is thicker than water". Even if they didn't spend much time together, Gladion is still Lillie's brother.
I disagree with this way of thinking, completely.
You can't just berate her for rooting for family unless you have actual proof that Kiawe was a better brother than Gladion.
What? She should root for him because he is her friend.
But given the writers don't care about backstories unless it's plot relevant, and with all three'se characters set to be "forgotten" by Christmas, we will never know
We know that Kaki didn't abandon Hoshi and his other family members on someone's word, so that makes him automatically a better brother.

Is it just me, or are Gladion's Pokémon able to take a ridiculous amount of punishment? Previously, his Umbreon tanked a Z-Move, and here, I was surprised that Lycanroc survived a Shell Trap, even if it wasn't very effective, and took two super effective Focus Blasts, atop the damage it had already sustained, before finally fainting. I just wanted that creepy@$$ Outrage smile to disappear from my sight ASAP, but nope, it had to remain there for a couple more moments after Shell Trap.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom