• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM136: Rising Fire! There's More Than One Rival!!

In my opinion, Gladion's mid-move Type switch is a smart move in terms of tactics. Sending out a Fire-Type Silvally at the start would allow Kiawe to plan things out with that Type in mind, as opposed to the surprise of a Type change just in time. Granted, it was a little risky, but a clever move nonetheless.

That nonstop back-and-forth opener between Nyaheat and Golisopod though... Dang, that pacing is what I've been talking about!
...Why are you using both Japanese and English Pokémon names?

Why are you using both Japanese and English Pokémon names?
Because he wants to? I usually use English Pokemon names but watching the Japanese episodes has had “Nyaheato” stamped into my brain. I associate Bakugames more with Turtonator’s name rather than the English counterpart but still prefer English names.

Why is U-Turn seen as a dirty tactic but Gladion throwing Silvally a Memory during an official battle isn’t?

Had Silvally been sent out with the memory I could understand, but Gladion actively used an outside force to give his pokemon a boost while exploiting the current battle curcumstances. How’s that not cheating?
Using tactics and strategy has never been a dirty tactic

Gladion using Memories is no different than Meltan eating Hypno's pendulum - it's part of how the pokemon operates
I have a looming suspicion it'll show up just in time to stop Team Rocket's mecha when they finally get it up and running.
GOOD

SwadloonBoy here, back once again for my weekly Sun & Moon anime hot takes!

• I never really cared much for Tutonator when it was first revealed for the games, but I’m glad it’s gotten such a chance to shine in the anime; I’m finding myself rooting for the big guy just because of how much more time I’ve invested in watching him than Silvally
  • speaking of rooting for Turtonator, that was an epic Z-move which I suspect is about to be completely nullified by some dumb stunt by Gladion...
  • Gladion changed Silvally into a Fire Type :) Sounds like riggage to me
  • Kiawe and Turtonator lost....I can’t deny that Gladion is also a compelling character, but I feel real bad for Kiawe...you can tell he really wanted a chance to prove himself against Ash!
  • Hoshi looked absolutely crushed in the audience omg....I’m not crying, you’re crying...
  • are there any Kiawe/Gladion shippers out there...cuz this episode is giving y’all some material; just sayin’
  • Olivia remains to be a lovable amazing queen goddess
  • it’s so funny that we’re in an era of the Pokémon anime where TR has to actually make money to build one of their mechs instead of just pulling one out of their hats like they used to do literally all the time
  • that Bewear/Stufful scene was extremely random lmao
  • Plumeria is kind of an icon...like I know she doesn’t really do much, but she just has such a PRESENCE...and she’s clearly the only member of Team Skull who is aware of the fact that Guzma might be in for a downfall
  • can they throw us a bone and show Brock and/or Misty and/or Serena rooting for Ash behind a television screen somewhere...it’s a small touch that I would really appreciate

• battle begins between Guzma and Ash, and between Torracat and Scizor, Ash looks to start things off with a hefty type advantage ;)
  • U-Turn foolishness....this is gonna be a frustrating battle to watch
  • Torracat was doing so well until that Pin Missile got him...stay strong, sweet prince :(
  • OMG EMERGENCY EXIT RUINED GUZMA’S PLANS HOW EMBARASSING
  • um Guzma needs to stop verbally abusing Golisopod like yesterday

- looks like a beautifully animated, exciting battle next week; can’t wait!

People screaming usually means terrible things are happening

Vinylshadow is here!

....Oh dear....

Anyway let's assume that there are set ups to keep the viewers safe. I mean if ASTERISK WARS has them, so would Pokemon.

So, this episode was... um... I guess mixed bag would be a good way to describe it?

The Kiawe vs Galdion match was somewhat disappointing. The fact that it ended so fast and that a good portion of it was stretched out by a number of unnecessary scenes of characters reacting to what was happening gave the battle a sour sense of hastiness and Turtonator going down in just one hit made the whole thing feel anticlimactic. Plus, there's the whole "Gladion changing Silvally's type at the last second", which some people have already explained why it's not good, so I won't go into detail. Also, while I definitely enjoyed that aftermatch moment between those two and how Kiawe declared Gladion his rival, the fact that this was just set up in last week's episode (as opposed to establishing it prior to the league in order to make the battle more impactful) and considering that the series will end in a few months (meaning that the writers won't have any time to actually explore it more, nor would it actually make sense to) make this scene feel kind of pointless and shallow.

Speaking of shallow, let's talk about Guzma's backstory. Now, while the SM series has been more than faithful regarding Guzma's character and personality (which is very commendable, considering how some certain other characters were handled), his backstory, so far, has been virtually non-existent, which is unfortunate. The only thing we got regarding his history was Hala giving a very simplified and bland explanation that doesn't explain much and a short flashback that shows Guzma forsaking Hala, Kukui and their teachings (aka. the effect), but not the reasons why he did it or the events that led to his decision (aka. the cause). And, while it's nice that they decided to references the trophies he had in the games, it still doesn't improve the situation, nor does it offer too much insight into Guzma's past or his motivations. I really hope that this will get fixed in this week's episode, since the battle is basically a 1v2 (or more like a 1v1 and a half, considering the damage Torracat's gotten), so hopefully they'll try to pad out the time by properly exploring Guzma's past, relationships and reasons (unless they decide to waste precious time by recycling the exact same useless and stupid Bewear scenes again, which add absolutely nothing to the story).

As for the main event, the battle between Guzma and Ash was nothing short of marvellous. It was action packed, it featured some good strategies from both sides, it was well paced and it even had a pretty surpassing (yet not unexpected) twist. Not to mention that we got a short glimpse at Guzma's upcoming breakdown. And the fact that Torracat, Ash's second best battler in Alola, is finally getting some much needed screen time (and in an episode that doesn't involve Stoutland or the Masked Royal and Incineroar in any way, shape or form to boot) and the fact that it's shown to be so strong that it's capable of not only keeping up with Guzma's Pokémon (in terms of strength and prowess), but also of forcing them on the defensive really sends a warm feeling of joy to my heart. About time they gave the fiery kitty the attention it deserves without somehow inserting Kukui and his Incineroar into the story. Truly, one of the best battles this league (and this series, in general) and I genuinely can't wait for its conclusion (provided that they don't find a way to screw it up somehow, which I really hope to Arceus they don't). The only thing I would've complained about regarding this match is if the characters would've actually complained about/criticized that Guzma's Scizor used U-turn, like some people were saying on this thread (since, besides the fact that that's what the move does, it's nothing more than a simple substitution, which is a very legal and basic move that any trainer could and would do in a league!), but, at least according to the subs, nobody (not even the most narrowminded and inexperienced of the classmates) claimed that it was dirty or unacceptable or hard to approve of. At most, they were just taken aback by Guzma's tactics, which thankfully is nowhere near as annoying as them acting like they are knowledgeable and experienced enough in Pokémon battles that they get to decided what is and isn't acceptable or legal in one.

Judging by the staff for the next episode, this is a slim to none chance. I'd be more worried about the one after the next.

If I've learned something about this series is that, even if something doesn't seem like it could turn out to be terrible, there's still a chance it could. And based on the preview and the staff list, I do believe that we're in for an outstanding episode, but still, you never know what might happen.

Plus, I've already give up on the Fujisaku episode. I expect it to be an infuriating mess (not to mention one of the worst league endings, even if Ash wins) that will most likely find a way to disappoint and enrage me, even if my expectations are at their lowest.

Vinylshadow is here!

....Oh dear....

Anyway let's assume that there are set ups to keep the viewers safe. I mean if ASTERISK WARS has them, so would Pokemon.
Except it's very, very, very clear there's nothing there to protect the watchers, otherwise they wouldn't be screaming in terror

I assume they've managed to develop some sort of invisible barriers between the field and the stands akin to a mix between Protect, Reflect and Light Screen to keep the viewers safe. Otherwise there's no logic as to even allow spectators in the first place.

Z-Moves though, they're an entirely different can of worms.
Except there's nothing there to suggest it

Never commented on or shown in effect

Therefore it doesn't exist

That there's absolutely no evidence that Panky's made-up "invisible barrier of protection" is a thing in the anime, so that's not a valid explanation for why the audience wasn't hurt by that Z-move? I'm pretty sure that's what the post was suggesting anyways.
Okay? I'm not sure why there is even an argument about that, considering we clearly see that fires didn't expand that much, to effect the audience. Also, I would complain more about Gladio, who simply stayed within the center of those fires, unharmed.

...Why are you using both Japanese and English Pokémon names?
I didn't remember Nyaheat's English name by then and I can't for the life of me learn Golisopod's Japanese name

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom