• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM138: The Finals! The Strongest Rival Showdown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Writes nonsensical battles that fall apart when you take a second to think about them

The battle is usually "And then Ash wins because the plot said so" rather than letting Ash or his pokemon show their skill, ingenuity, or anything remotely resembling competence
He's okay/good at writing slice-of-life episodes, but sucks at writing battle episodes. For example, he wrote the second part of the Ash vs Hau League battle, where Ash suffered a fake-out loss before the result was overturned due to it turning out that Rowlet had actually just fallen asleep instead of fainting, and the Ash vs Hapu battle, where Ash not only chose to use an Electric type against a Ground type but also won by splashing water onto his opponent to somehow mimic the move Soak and then winning the match with an Electric move. So fans are now afraid that he's also going to ruin the first part of the League finale.
iu

I think this fits.

He's okay/good at writing slice-of-life episodes, but sucks at writing battle episodes. For example, he wrote the second part of the Ash vs Hau League battle, where Ash suffered a fake-out loss before the result was overturned due to it turning out that Rowlet had actually just fallen asleep instead of fainting, and the Ash vs Hapu battle, where Ash not only chose to use an Electric type against a Ground type but also won by splashing water onto his opponent to somehow mimic the move Soak and then winning the match with an Electric move. So fans are now afraid that he's also going to ruin the first part of the League finale.
Well, if it's going to be a two parter then the first part might only be the first Pokemon from each side going at each other. Hopefully most of the episode will be some sort of pre-final build up and we can have the REAL battle written by a proper writer in SM139.

Well, if it's going to be a two parter then the first part might only be the first Pokemon from each side going at each other. Hopefully most of the episode will be some sort of pre-final build up and we can have the REAL battle written by a proper writer in SM139.
At least I pray to Arceus it's going to be a two-parter. All final League battles since Kanto have been two-parters. With that, there would be hope that the second part could still be salvaged.

At least I pray to Arceus it's going to be a two-parter. All final League battles since Kanto have been two-parters. With that, there would be hope that the second part could still be salvaged.

Agreed, few two parters have the same writer if I recall so the second part should be more exciting (I hope)

This will easily be a Two Parter. First Half of the Episode will be dedicated to Ash Training because he's clearly the underdog and build-up towards the final. The Solgaleo-Lunala Music that played during the Ash-Gladion Scene during the Battle Royale could be a hint that Ash would use Solgaleo and Gladion would use Lunala but I really don't know. They can easily build up a plot of Ash using Tapu Koko as his 6th Pokemon as well. Ash getting a 6th in his Team can be easily done. I don't know about Gladion though, They can easily make him have another Pokemon out of nowhere and use Lunala as his 6th and I wouldn't even personally mind that really.

Well, the semi final match against Guzma is a two-parter according to the episode listings, so there's no sense in the finals being just one full episode. Hell, even the one against Hau was two-parter for that matter.

This will easily be a Two Parter. First Half of the Episode will be dedicated to Ash Training because he's clearly the underdog and build-up towards the final. The Solgaleo-Lunala Music that played during the Ash-Gladion Scene during the Battle Royale could be a hint that Ash would use Solgaleo and Gladion would use Lunala but I really don't know. They can easily build up a plot of Ash using Tapu Koko as his 6th Pokemon as well. Ash getting a 6th in his Team can be easily done. I don't know about Gladion though, They can easily make him have another Pokemon out of nowhere and use Lunala as his 6th and I wouldn't even personally mind that really.
Please no. Legendaries in Leagues are a bad idea, even if the main characters get them. Darkrai nightmares anyone?

Well, the semi final match against Guzma is a two-parter according to the episode listings, so there's no sense in the finals being just one full episode. Hell, even the one against Hau was two-parter for that matter.

Please no. Legendaries in Leagues are a bad idea, even if the main characters get them. Darkrai nightmares anyone?

This is the first league in which Wild Pokemon can participate ex: Mallow's Shaymin, so not taking advantage of that would be a missed opportunity and poor writing. Solgaleo isn't techinically Ash's Pokemon but he can still use it in the League same goes for Lunala with Gladion.

This is the first league in which Wild Pokemon can participate ex: Mallow's Shaymin, so not taking advantage of that would be a missed opportunity and poor writing. Solgaleo isn't techinically Ash's Pokemon but he can still use it in the League same goes for Lunala with Gladion.
Shaymin isn't a legendary though? It's a pseudo-mythical at best in the games, and in the anime-verse it's a quite common Mon. Besides, Mallow is out of the competition.

Solgaleo being brought into the league would easily dominate the opposition and make for a lackluster (semi-)final. THAT would be bad writing.

Last edited:
Shaymin isn't a legendary though? It's a pseudo-mythical at best in the games, and in the anime-verse it's a quite common Mon. Besides, Mallow is out of the competition.

Solgaleo being brought into the league would easily dominate the opposition and make for a lackluster (semi-)final. THAT would be bad writing.
Rotom outright confirms Shaymin's Mythical Pokémon status in its debut episode.

Shaymin is a mythical, that's clearly explained by Rotom. It wouldn't dominate the opposition if Gladion had a Lunala really. Also Ash is clearly the underdog in this League them pulling a Twist and making Gladion an underdog during the battle would be interesting imo. Also this is a final.

He pretty clearly isn’t. He has 5x more Pokemon than most of the contestants.

Having more Pokemon doesn't mean you're the favorite, that's like saying BW Ash is the Best Ash out of all the Ash's because he has more Pokemon than them. Contrary to Kalos and Sinnoh, he's actually the underdog here. Dude's fighting with his little memebird while other competitors have Pokemon like Deciduye, Golisopod, Charizard, Vikavolt, and Primarina.

Contrary to Kalos and Sinnoh, he's actually the underdog here. Dude's fighting with his little memebird while other competitors have Pokemon like Deciduye, Golisopod, Charizard, Vikavolt, and Primarina.
He isn’t. Battling with a memebird was his own choice. Torracat could easily defeat Decidueye.
His team as a whole is pretty much capable of dealing every threat thrown at them. Pikachu alone could defeat Charizard and Primarina, and would probably defeat Golispod.

His Pokemon are actually trained, something which 90% of the competitors don’t. He’s actually a seasoned battler. His o classmates’ Pokemon may be fully evolved but that doesn’t mean they’re stronger than Ash’s Pokemon.

He isn’t an underdog here by any means.

He isn’t. Battling with a memebird was his own choice. Torracat could easily defeat Decidueye.
His team as a whole is pretty much capable of dealing every threat thrown at them. Pikachu alone could defeat Charizard and Primarina, and would probably defeat Golispod.

His Pokemon are actually trained, something which 90% of the competitors don’t. He’s actually a seasoned battler. His o classmates’ Pokemon may be fully evolved but that doesn’t mean they’re stronger than Ash’s Pokemon.

He isn’t an underdog here by any means.
I never said the other trainers were "stronger" than him. I very well agree that if Ash suddenly acted like a Red and decided to use Torracat against Deciduye, he would destroy it. Lycanroc/Pikachu would also destory Golisopod... but the my point is, that isn't Ash and he wouldn't do that. We know he would go ahead and use Rowlet against Deciduye, while one could argue Rowlet was always stronger than Deciduye because it has more experience in trials, It hasn't had any focus that much last since SM097 while Deciduye and Hau gained experience. We know Lycanroc would be his main choice Vs Gladion, Ash's Lycanroc isn't the favorite... Gladion and his Lycanroc have way much experience. The Thing is, Ash has to go to school, spend time with his friends, deal with his memebird's annoying sleeping gag, and at the same time train his Pokemon, meanwhile both Hau, Gladion, and Guzma only have to focus on training their Pokemon. That's why him even making it to the Finals is an impressive feat in my opinion and why he's still the underdog. In Previous Series, Ash only had to focus on training his Pokemon whereas here the situation is completely different. Kiawe is also the same, having going to school and doing his housework etc.

I’m just going to ask one question...if in the event of Ash actually winning the league, would you consider this an actual win, or would it be as valuable as the Orange League victory, or even less so?

I’m just going to ask one question...if in the event of Ash actually winning the league, would you consider this an actual win, or would it be as valuable as the Orang League victory, or even less so?

...All I know is that my fanfic has this in it's YMMV page

Harsher in Hindsight:
  • MissingNo notes in fic that in the old timeline no one could ever reach their dreams: not Ash, not May, not Brock, etc. Then came Lumiose, where Ash got so close to the win...

....Long story

I can already imagine the edit

Harsher in Hindsight:
  • MissingNo notes in fic that in the old timeline no one could ever reach their dreams: not Ash, not May, not Brock, etc. Then came Lumiose, where Ash got so close to the win...and when he got the win at Manalo, no one was happy about it

I’m just going to ask one question...if in the event of Ash actually winning the league, would you consider this an actual win, or would it be as valuable as the Orange League victory, or even less so?
In my
...All I know is that my fanfic has this in it's YMMV page

....Long story

I can already imagine the edit
To me, I obviously want Ash to win, but I feel the satisfaction will be like the Orange League, maybe less. Ash had to actually beat two strong trainers in that Psychic leader and Drake, and same goes here for the Alolan League, Gladion and Guzma, with Hau being well...as you lot mentioned, Torracat and Lycanroc could handle him easily.

In my

To me, I obviously want Ash to win, but I feel the satisfaction will be like the Orange League, maybe less. Ash had to actually beat two strong trainers in that Psychic leader and Drake, and same goes here for the Alolan League, Gladion and Guzma, with Hau being well...as you lot mentioned, Torracat and Lycanroc could handle him easily.
Heck, rowlet could've handled him much more easily if the fight had been written by a person who actually knows how ash should fight by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom