• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM138: The Finals! The Strongest Rival Showdown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall the leagues in the games being tournaments at all.
The Leagues from the games do exist in the anime, being renamed as the Champion League. The "Leagues" you see people enter when they win 8 badges are League Conferences, a tournament whose winner gets the right to officially compete and contest in the Champion League.

All of these subjects were touched back in DP when the writing was a bit more in-depth w.r.t. the games, the writers apparently forgot all about it ever since.

The Leagues from the games do exist in the anime, being renamed as the Champion League. The "Leagues" you see people enter when they win 8 badges are League Conferences, a tournament whose winner gets the right to officially compete and contest in the Champion League.

All of these subjects were touched back in DP when the writing was a bit more in-depth w.r.t. the games, the writers apparently forgot all about it ever since.

From Bulbapedia itself

After winning a Pokémon League Conference, a Trainer may enter the Champion League of the relevant region, where the Elite Four and the League Championawait. Like in the games, Trainers must defeat all members of the Elite Four for the right of challenging the Champion. Once the Elite Four is defeated, Champions are required to defend their title from challengers. If the battle against the challenger is won, Champions hold on to their current status. However, if the challenger succeeds, Champions must relinquish their title to the winning Trainer, who will then be deemed the new Pokémon Champion.

In the Diamond & Pearl series, all members of the Sinnoh Elite Four but Bertha have been shown challenging Cynthia for her title. It is unknown if they had to defeat their Elite colleagues or if they requested a battle from the Champion straight away. So far, the only mentions of the Champion League have been in An Elite Meet and Greet!, A Trainer and Child Reunion!, Ash and Trip's Third Battle!, and Ash Versus the Champion!.

Two of those episodes are Gen 5.

Two of those episodes are Gen 5.

In other words, it's unlikely that the Champion league will ever be relevant again if the last time it was even mentioned was in BW. If Ash does beat Gladion here and wins the tournament, I expect that some form of clownery will happen and Ash won't keep the Alola Champion title regardless.

In other words, it's unlikely that the Champion league will ever be relevant again if the last time it was even mentioned was in BW. If Ash does beat Gladion here and wins the tournament, I expect that some form of clownery will happen and Ash won't keep the Alola Champion title regardless.
The Champion League doesn't exist in Alola yet for obvious reasons, and Galar could work differently, if the rumors are true and the anime goes the same route.

TBH, if Ash wins the league, I expect Ash to willingly give up the title regardless of if he wins or loses against MR

TBH, if Ash wins the league, I expect Ash to willingly give up the title regardless of if he wins or loses against MR
Considering how laid back this league has been in the early stages (an invitational literal BR), the inaugural league will most likely be experimental. Any win, despite being official, will not be considered for long term championship (or to contest the official Champion League). After the league, we'll probably see the Elite 4 being elected and the Trial Captains assigned.

Here's hoping SM139 is written by Tomioka. I know he's avoided league episodes since Ash v. Paul but he's written Ash's last two battles against Gladion, hopefully he returns.

So I just realized the league is officially past 11 episodes. If this is a 2-parter, then it's going to be 12, and if we include the Masked Royal battle we might even get 14 if that's a 2-parter as well. Ooh boy.
So many episodes yet most of the fights are 1 v 1. I guess it's because they showed every match which I like but, still

So many episodes yet most of the fights are 1 v 1. I guess it's because they showed every match which I like but, still
If you wanted to make most matches anything beyond 1v1 AND actually not skip them the league would actually have to be much much longer. I mean, people were complaining that we jumped straight to top 16.

@KyseL a few of the 1 v 1s are stretched out though. The anime has been historically able to do an unrushed 3 v 3 with some plot in one episode before.

Whatever the result, let it be known that I didn't give a damn either way. I stopped becoming emotionally invested in these league tournaments after seeing how this ridiculously volatile fanbase always finds something to riot over by the end of them. Never mind the writers, it's the fans themselves that are putting me off.

Whatever the result, let it be known that I didn't give a damn either way. I stopped becoming emotionally invested in these league tournaments after seeing how this ridiculously volatile fanbase always finds something to riot over by the end of them. Never mind the writers, it's the fans themselves that are putting me off.

You talk like we're Sonic Fans

You shouldn't judge the whole anime based on just the negative outbursts from occasional exceptionally bad episodes. Just watch the last two episodes and be positively surprised.

So I just realized the league is officially past 11 episodes. If this is a 2-parter, then it's going to be 12, and if we include the Masked Royal battle we might even get 14 if that's a 2-parter as well. Ooh boy.
SM128 was just a setup episode with no battles. I wouldn't count on a two-parter (for a 3vs3 battle?) or include an exhibition match, either.

Considering Lugarugan's defeat against Kaki, could it be that it won't be used against Satoshi? Especially if it's 3vs3 as we assumed.

Considering Lugarugan's defeat against Kaki, could it be that it won't be used against Satoshi? Especially if it's 3vs3 as we assumed.

Midnight Lycanroc still needs to lose to Dusk Lycanroc. If any of Gladion's Pokemon sits this out, it would be Umbreon, but it'll most likely be a 4v4. We went up to 2v2 because Guzma has two Pokemon, so I see no reason not to go up to 4v4 now that Gladion will be the one with the lowest number of Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom