• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM138: The Finals! The Strongest Rival Showdown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s stronger, but it’d be nice to acknowledge that Lycanroc vs Silvally was a thing by having them face briefly.
Was it though? They fought once in a random rival battle that could have involved anyone else.

Half of Ash’s pokemon were trashed by Paul’s Ursaring at some point, yet nobody points that out as an inter-pokemon rivalry.

Was it though? They fought once in a random rival battle that could have involved anyone else.
That battle was one of the prominent set ups for the Gladion rivalry, as far as I remember.

Gladion hasn’t had enough appearances, battles or even Pokemon match ups compared to Paul. Paul has a lot of Pokemon, whereas both Gladion and Ash are limited match-up wise.

I hope adjusting and battling as a Melmetal after the drastic change and combination involved in Meltan’s evolution isn’t a total breeze.

The change is really drastic and involves the combination of multiple Pokemon so it’s pretty logical that it’ll require Ash and Melmetal some time to get used to the changes. I wonder how’ll Rowlet react on the evolution.

I wonder how’ll Rowlet react on the evolution.
I hope we get a recreation of this, but with a giant melmetal.

Makoto Shinjo who is animation director for this ep I'd say is slightly better than your average animator. The key thing though is that Masaaki Iwane always does key animation in Shinjo's work (dating back to DP), so some segments are bound to look fantastic.
The odd thing is that was MIA since DP until a few months ago, and since Iwane did last episode, I doubt he'll do much here

A bit of a weird change of topic albeit still in line with this episode, but is this supposed to be an art/animation inconsistency or an intentional decision? Whatever the case, I hope it sticks.

(Also take into consideration that Delia is wearing heels.)

I think that the animation is slightly off in that scene. I mean even ignoring the extra inches that Ash's cap provides to his height, the fact that Delia was apparently wearing heels would still make them pretty much the same height imo and the thought of that is weird. Maybe if there was another image of them standing side by side we'd know for sure, but I doubt that Ash suddenly went through a growth spurt (not that it really matters even if he did because he's still really short compared to Kukui and Burnet).

I think that the animation is slightly off in that scene. I mean even ignoring the extra inches that Ash's cap provides to his height, the fact that Delia was apparently wearing heels would still make them pretty much the same height imo and the thought of that is weird. Maybe if there was another image of them standing side by side we'd know for sure, but I doubt that Ash suddenly went through a growth spurt (not that it really matters even if he did because he's still really short compared to Kukui and Burnet).
A growth spurt is never out of the question and I can attest to that myself, having gone through a very quick+intense one in my mid-teens. There's nothing weird about it.

If anything, Ash being tall does look quite... right, I guess. I hope they keep it that way.

Last edited:
Satoshi's mother is young, but NOT that young!
A Japanese speculation trailer/preview aired before the end credits showed the VS screen from the start of the match, and it was Melmetal vs Silvally.
In other words, we can't be sure if those Poké Balls signify all of the Trainer's Pokémon, or just the remaining ones after their first ones.
I'm confused: is it confirmed to be 3vs3 or not?

Satoshi's mother is young, but NOT that young!

I'm confused: is it confirmed to be 3vs3 or not?
Being short doesn't necessarily mean that they're young. Besides, the average Japanese female is 5' 2" in height (if we're to take into account that Delia is a Kanto native). Samuel Oak himself is shorter than Delia, so that says a lot.

As for the battle format, the scans indicate Silvally and Melmetal along side their respective trainers, and additional 3 Pokeballs each.

Problem is, the SM anime might end to an arrupt halt after the Alola League. But the structure of the Alola League arc makes sense, as they might've intended it to be the Pokemon School's "graduation" system (whoever loses finishes their year at the Pokemon School). So that means some minor plot-relevant details (eg. Mallow fleeing her Shaymin) are still going to happen, but off-screen.

A bit of a weird change of topic albeit still in line with this episode, but is this supposed to be an art/animation inconsistency or an intentional decision? Whatever the case, I hope it sticks.

View attachment 124401

(Also take into consideration that Delia is wearing heels.)
When you see this scene from the back a couple of shots later it's pretty clear Ash is in front of the group and Hanako is way in the back. That, and the low camera angle makes it seem like he's taller than he actually is.

When you see this scene from the back a couple of shots later it's pretty clear Ash is in front of the group and Hanako is way in the back. That, and the low camera angle makes it seem like he's taller than he actually is.
Eh no... in the second shot he's in front of everyone but in the one I posted, he's behind Oak at the least and prolly along side his mother. Speaking of Oak, I remember he barely used to reach his chin level, now he's at eye-level.

Still no word on SM139's title, makes me wonder if there is going to be a break after this episode or they're avoiding spoilers if the finals is a one episode matc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom