• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM138: The Finals! The Strongest Rival Showdown!!

Ok i have one question, will ash melmetal ever split from other meltans?
No.
Despite Silvally seemingly being relatively fine after that fight. Still easily keeping up with Pikachu only for him to get knocked in one hit.
It's speed was fine, but its endurance clearly took a hit.

Not bothering with a full, detailed review, just sharing some thoughts.

I have to say I'm surprised, so far the battle hasn't done anything to severely let me down. The continuous use of Double Iron Bash was somewhat bland, and I wish Melmetal used other moves, but I guess at the same time it could be argued that it shows Meltan/Melmetal's lack of experience against the much more trained Silvally so it losing actually made sense; I do still wish that Melmetal had a better debut battle, but with however long SM last maybe it'll still get a chance to shine. Pikachu using Electroweb like a trampoline against Silvally felt much more like the correct way to write improvised strategies that I'd expect from Ash and not the not so favorable and controversial stuff Fujisaku has done in his previous battles (just hope it continues...).

I owe you an apology, @Neo Blaze. I shouldn't have judged this episode as hard as I did beforehand.

I'd say to wait for the ending of the battle (since that's when Fujisaku generally... messes up), before getting your hopes up to much. But, yeah, surprisingly, he hasn't pulled one of his usual stunts... yet.

First of all, I want that Koiking shirt Okido was wearing in this episode.

Anyway, onto the episode and it was a pretty solid lead-up and first half to the final. It's so weird to think that Satoshi now has a massive Mythical Pokemon in his team (bet Takuto doesn't seem so bad now), although it was sad to see it taken down in its first battle... I can't complain about that too much. Silvady has already been shown to be pretty tough opponent and Melmetal was newly evolved too... what I can complain about is the constant reused animation of Melmetal stretching and Satoshi spamming Double Iron Bash. Did he forget Melmetal has Harden? It would have helped here. I just hope the money saved went towards next week's conclusion.

It makes me laugh that Okido and Hanako didn't turn up for (and seemingly didn't even watch) Satoshi in the Kalos League final, a huge match in an established competition that the poor kid worked his butt off to reach, yet the finals of a small inaugural league that Satoshi doesn't really deserve to be in (yeah, I'm still hung up on Mokuroh sleeping)? Oh we're jumping on a plane for that!!!

That’s doesn’t answer my question

...It's not bad odds, especially with TBA as an episode title lingering about.

Though I must admit....I am just not psyched for the possibility as I was for XY champion Ash. And I do like Ash quite a bit.

What do you know, this was actually good!

Melmetal’s spamming of DIB was pretty annoying, but I’ll attribute that to it and Ash being excited about the huge new arms and mobility. The thing was an inch tall and now it’s huge, I guess it gets the right for that.

Likewise, I like how Melmetal’s inexperience was brought up here. Not only is it suddenly a lumbering behemoth after being a tiny legless blob for so long, it never really had to tank super effective hits and from an opponent so strong. I like how it didn’t eat up every attack with the dignity most of Ash’s pokemon do, since it doesn’t have as much of a fire. But even then, I like that it did so much damage to Silvally.

Pikachu’s battle was... tense. Silvally toying with him was sorta scary to see, but the Electroweb trick was VERY satisfying. The look of shock on bird chimera’s face was great.

Hmm, Zoroark’s reveal could have happened a bit later to add on to the surprise, but I’ll forgive it for Lusamine’s reaction. She might as well have seen a ghost, and she kinda did.

That’s doesn’t answer my question
I only say it like that, because it's so evenly matched at this point it's hard to tell who has better chances. Either could win. Hence why I said it's up to the writers to decide if they should just cut Ash a break and let him win.

Hmm, Zoroark’s reveal could have happened a bit later to add on to the surprise, but I’ll forgive it for Lusamine’s reaction. She might as well have seen a ghost, and she kinda did.

If they'd wanted to surprise us, it would have helped if the trailer hadn't shown Lugarugan using Zoroark's signature move or if they'd kept its Poke Ball hidden. Still, it'll be a surprise for dub watchers who don't get to see Japanese trailers or post-credits scenes.

Is a Lycanroc match going to conclude the battle? That's a bit lame.

I have to admit, it's ain't no Blue Flame Dragon vs Trainer-Hybrid Ninja Frog but you take what you can get.

I guess it was inevitable because Ash's Lycanroc hasn't used its Z-move to win yet, and that wouldn't work so well for anything but the last match. But if it loses...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom