• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM138: The Finals! The Strongest Rival Showdown!!

It was fighting type

also, i have a feeling that ash is gonna win... they need that ash vs masked royal (aka kukui) battle
i don't see much of a point for gladion to face him
The anime has pulled off ruining story set up for the sake of the status quo before.

Pikachu didn't even hurt Silvally with electric type attacks, so I'm not entirely what difference it would've made,

As for Zoroark, I'm not entirely sure I see anyone's point here, especially when the illusion is lost upon getting attacked. There was no way to maintain the illusion after being struck by a thunderbolt. I get that maybe people didn't want Zoroark to get HIT at that particular point so it could've retained the illusion but I fail to see the purpose, since it would've been unrealistic to have Zoroark take no damage for most of the battle just to maintain an illusion, in other words it could've easily been revealed at the beginning of next episode and I don't think it would've mattered.

For Silvally, I just feel like it would have looked better on Gladion's part. That's all really.

For Zoroark, it just seemed like it's gimmick was over too soon. I would have preferred for it to be revealed in the beginning of the next episode.

Wait I thought Silvally WAS Ground.
Pretty sure it was fighting.

The anime has pulled off ruining story set up for the sake of the status quo before.

And what would the status quo be? We all know that Ash has won tournaments and a frontier before. That never stopped him from continuing on. The only thing that has been consistent for Ash is finding a trainer stronger than him. And no League has ever offered a exhibition match like the Royal Mask.

And what would the status quo be? We all know that Ash has won tournaments and a frontier before. That never stopped him from continuing on. The only thing that has been consistent for Ash is finding a trainer stronger than him. And no League has ever offered a exhibition match like the Royal Mask.
That is what people are very afraid about it. Especially, if next week, Ash lost. A total outrage across the internet will begins. Which is why, I warned everybody else first, before it comes. What if not comes, if Ash won. Then, the next series won't be featured him as the main protagonist except in side characters.

Edit: Oh yeah, we don't needed that to happen as this Friday will see everything, before the episode aired. Just like the one Guzma walked out.

That is what people are very afraid about it. Especially, if next week, Ash lost. A total outrage across the internet will begins. Which is why, I warned everybody else first, before it comes. What if not comes, if Ash won. Then, the next series won't be featured him as the main protagonist except in side characters.

Edit: Oh yeah, we don't needed that to happen as this Friday will see everything, before the episode aired. Just like the one Guzma walked out.

You think that if Ash wins, the series will be over?

Why does anyone even believe that for any League Conference, much less for one that is so laidback and open-to-join?

Easy. Fans misinterpret an old answer from 2008 that said that "If Ash becomes a Pokémon Master, the show will end."

Just say Pokémon Master = League Champion, and the let misconception flourish in every mainstream media outlet.

It's also why I scoffed at the idea that Pokémon Trainer Red is a Pokémon Master...

That words is not me stated. It from 12 years ago from the director coming from his own mouth. Do you want the link?

Here it is:

And oh, speak of the devil. Maybe I should clarify upon his words:

Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal. So, the show would probably continue the same way collect badges, travel through different regions, never age. Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No. Will there be a 5th generation of Pokemon and will the show keep continuing? He laughed even harder and said of course. Pokemon will continue for many generations to come, and as he made it sound, probably forever.

Notice he never said "Ash will lose the League" in that interview? And notice how outdated it has become? Ash didn't collect badges in Alola. And he didn't really travel that much.

And let's hear it from AU Ash of what he believes a Pokémon Master is from Bulbapedia:

• In I Choose You!, Verity questions if being a Pokémon Master meant being the world's strongest Pokémon Trainer; Ash replies that it is "much more than that".

And I should really restate this again:

• In an interview in 2008, Masmitsu Hidaka stated that when Ash Ketchum becomes a Pokémon Master, the show will end. Many fans took that to mean that Ash will never win a Pokémon League because if he wins, he would be a Pokémon Master. Never mind the fact that the goal of Pokémon Master is deliberately vague, with Ash himself saying that winning a League is just a small step to that goal and that being a Pokémon Master is greater than simply being the world's strongest Pokémon Trainer. This misconception has become so notorious that Sun & Moon director Takayasu Yahan had to address the issue by saying that a Pokémon Master is not just winning the League and that learning is more important over winning or losing.

Yes good Electroweb strategy and improv me likey

I'm glad Melmetal lost against Silvally because it would've felt cheap/forced/convenient if it got the win. I mean we literally saw Gladio was training the night before while Ash was just hanging around while his Pokémon evolved out of nowhere. And it's not like Melmetal was useless either.

For a final League battle, this one felt very... bland. Like it's not horrible, but it certainly didn't bring anything memorable. Also, Gladion made quite a few rookie mistakes, like being surprised that Melmetal's attack hits twice (even though its name is a dead giveaway) and not seeing that Pikachu would use Electroweb as a trampoline. Even I could see it coming a mile away.

Shouldn’t the new episode trivia also be written the first time a move was made up by one of the characters for Ash Pokémon meltmetalm

I swear to god if zoroark don't beat pikachu or at least tie with it... i would be legit disappointed

Wouldn’t that be good if Ash pikachu wins because more of chance Ash wins the league
idc about that, they can't just bring mohn powerhouse pokemon just to lose to pikachu.

The battle was decent for this writer's standards but there are things I'm not comfortable with, so I'm mixed.

Good:
-The reference to Oak's poems and to the examination segment from the first series.
-The battles' results were logical and there were some interesting moments like the one with Electroweb.
-Zoroark's introduction may have been rushed, but I liked the spectacle of it anyway.
-The scene of Lusamine and Lillie supporting Gladion, we don't see that very often.
-Faba mentioning that he created Silvally and the Aether members' reaction to it.

Bad:
-Ash didn't thank Meltan for becoming stronger for him, did he?
-The typical "muscles showcase" anime gag just doesn't work on Melmetal. I hope that was the only time we see it.
-Some parts felt slow-paced because of the reused animation.
-Neither Melmetal or Silvally did a good showcase of their moves and special abilites. Melmetal apparently has elastic arms, but it only used them once. Hopefully both will get another battle before the series ends.
-I'm not a fan of Silvally's new "haki" ability. But as said before it's nice how Ash countered it.
-The "ninja clash" finale was used again, we also saw it in the Ash vs Guzma and Lana vs Guzma battles.

Again, a wonderfully intense battle, worthy of an episode that's called "Strongest Rival Showdown". I was enjoying every second of it!

Yes finally, finally(!), they did justice to Ash by giving him a real power boost in the form of Melmetal just when he needed it. Apart from XYZ, where Ash had his powerhouse Ash-Greninja, the poor guy always had to face opponents with ultra powerful, very special or even legendary Pokemon in his final battle. And, this is my only criticism today, it wasn't any different with Gladion!
Let us be honest: Gladion's got "the ultimate" Pokemon that was explicitly invented for him (Sauboh confirmed that) and if that weren't enough, he also got Zoroark "for free" at the last second, a Pokemon that had been thoroughly trained by his father and was just "ready to use". Now, isn't that a teensy bit unfair?
All I want to say is it was high time Ash got that kind of external last-minute support as well.

As for the battle itself: Great, just great! Music, suspense, action...everything was fitting! And, of course, I mustn't forget to mention Ash's best move, Pikachu's combination of Electroweb and Iron Tail. A classic Ash, very well done!

As for some users' speculation as to what will happen should Ash win the league: Guys, I understand it's tempting to speculate about that after so many years, but let's not jump to conclusions. First of all, Ash has to win this battle and, to be honest, I don't think it'll happen. After over 20 years of being a Pokemon fan, my intuition just tells me it won't happen that easily. It'll be a Lycanrock vs Lycanrock showdown and after each of them will have launched one last fearsome attack, Ash's Lycanrock will go down first. (Would be nice if I was proven wrong, though)

Anyways, next week's episode is really something that we all can be looking forward to. Although I think I know the winner, I'm already super excited for some passionate battle action!

I like how Melmetal was handled this episode. He became much more powerful and a much bigger threat after his evolution. However, Melmetal didn’t sweep due to evolving literally the night before the finals, which meant he was still getting used to his new body and didn’t have a large amount of energy, as shown at the end of his fight against Silvally when he had to compose himself before using Flash Cannon. It was a nice way to give Ash a power boost without making it unfair.

Edit: Is this the first time since Kanto that Delia and Professor Oak have been to a league in person? If so, that’s really cool.

Edit 2: As of this episode with Meltan’s evolution into Melmetal, Alola is now the third region to have all of its Pokemon showcased in the main anime, after Johto and Kanto.

Edit 3: It may have looked like Melmetal wasn’t listening to Ash at the beginning of the match, but he actually was. Ash said that victory goes to the person that strikes first, so Melmetal went and charged into battle to get the first hit. The issue is that he didn’t wait for Ash to give him an actual command.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom