• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, they given us false hope just to let the people to watch again and see Ash getting the L once more.

They never did that in BW. Or DP. Heck, I'm sure that not even AG gave false hope of Ash winning.

XY certainly hyped the Kalos League Victory but only because Ash did made that far for people to seriously ask themselves if Ash would win.

And even then, none of them went to the same length as SM to hype up the League. I don't recall a contest to bet on the winner except SM. I don't recall these promo videos about Pokémon Leagues except SM. I don't recall the people who worked on the anime mention that Ash never won a Pokémon League except SM. And I don't recall the director establishing Pokémon Master as something different from Pokémon Champion except SM. Why the shift in tone?

Because, they given us false hope just to let the people to watch again and see Ash getting the L once more.
You know that would be just suicidal especially when they're already dealing with a ton of controversy at the moment?

I doubt any smart businessman would want to risk more stock drops much less a dent in reputation, if they want people to keep buying their games and merch.

Besides, they never did these montages before. Like someone mentioned above, it's indeed unusual for the staff to do so now.

Last edited:
You know that would be just suicidal especially when they're already dealing with a ton of controversy at the moment?

I doubt any smart businessman would want to risk more stock drops much less a dent in reputation, if they want people to keep buying their games and merch.

Besides, they never did these montages before. Like someone mentioned above, it's indeed unusual for the staff to do so now.
I bet majority of the people that answer correctly through phone of the question: Who will Won in Alola League? for the airplane ticket to Hawaii won't showed up there if this Sunday, Ash get another L again. That also mean, the businessman that risk everything will lost a lot money after prepared all this.

Thanks to the same old trick that pull off like they did in 3 year ago. That is why, I'll needed to warn everybody else, there is going to total outrage across the whole internet in this Sunday after the episode aired.

I bet majority of the people that answer correctly through phone of the question: Who will Won in Alola League? for the airplane ticket to Hawaii won't showed up there if this Sunday, Ash get another L again. That also mean, the businessman that risk everything will lost a lot money after prepared all this.

Thanks to the same old trick that pull off like they did in 3 year ago. That is why, I'll needed to warn everybody else, there is going to total outrage across the whole internet in this Sunday after the episode aired.

Actually, the contest states that those guessed correctly would have their names be placed into a lottery which actually determine the one lucky person to get the trip.

And again, do you have evidence to your claim? I have never seen this much League promotion and hype since ever. The Kalos League didn't even have Ash's mom return to see her son at the finals. Alola does. Kalos League never talked about Ash's previous Leagues. Alola does. And Kalos League never had some contest betting on the winner. Alola does.

The only thing truly comparable to this League hype is all of those Amourshipping hints that the anime team loves to sprinkle everywhere in XY. Many of us went with the hype wondering what the payoff was. And unlike the Kalos League, we got the best payoff sealed with a kiss.

And thus, why would a businessman open old wounds that were there since the beginning? The only people who care about the Pokémon Leagues are old fans. Why tell the new fans about Ash's old League adventures and the fact he never won?

If Ash is likely to win the alola league, then why is the title of episode 141 not being revealed ? Why do the scriptwriters keep it a secret ?

Gladion is betting a lot on his Dad's pokemon Zoroark to win. He might recall it back and use it at the end of the match against pikachu. Do you think this is possible ? In episode 138, Gladion's Mum mentioned to him that he is just like his dad Mohn, always training hard even at the last hour for important battles. I sense Gladion Burning desire to win but not from ash.

If Ash is likely to win the alola league, then why is the title of episode 141 not being revealed ? Why do the scriptwriters keep it a secret ?
Because they only want to hype up the likely possibility, not spoil it.
Gladion is betting a lot on his Dad's pokemon Zoroark to win. He might recall it back and use it at the end of the match against pikachu. Do you think this is possible ? In episode 138, Gladion's Mum mentioned to him that he is just like his dad Mohn, always training hard even at the last hour for important battles. I sense Gladion Burning desire to win but not from ash.
I think Pikachu will either tie with Zoroark or defeat it and then lose to Lycanroc. And Ash is always radiating with a desire to win! That's what's always driving him forward towards his dream!

And again, do you have evidence to your claim? I have never seen this much League promotion and hype since ever. The Kalos League didn't even have Ash's mom return to see her son at the finals. Alola does. Kalos League never talked about Ash's previous Leagues. Alola does. And Kalos League never had some contest betting on the winner. Alola does.
I get what you're saying but three years ago we were asking why they'd have Alain beat Ash several times before the league, have Ash promise another trainer he'd win for those who couldn't enter, and discuss in promos how Ash has his strongest team ever if he wasn't going to win.

I think the odds are very slightly in favor of Ash winning but lets be honest; the audience has pretty much been trolled three leagues in a row now by having Ash lose to someone who only needs two Pokemon to massacre him, by losing to a moron, and then everything around Kalos. It's natural people are being are incredibly skeptical this time.

I get what you're saying but three years ago we were asking why they'd have Alain beat Ash several times before the league, have Ash promise another trainer he'd win for those who couldn't enter, and discuss in promos how Ash has his strongest team ever if he wasn't going to win.

I think the odds are very slightly in favor of Ash winning but lets be honest; the audience has pretty much been trolled three leagues in a row now by having Ash lose to someone who only needs two Pokemon to massacre him, by losing to a moron, and then everything around Kalos. It's natural people are being are incredibly skeptical this time.
Fair points, but you have to look at it from a business perspective as well.

They did their damn hardest to keep the status quo up and it lead to displeasure among fans with the Kalos finals still leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth. That backlash was so massive that it affected the company's stocks back then, and with the ongoing controversies they already have, I doubt they'd want to do anything more to anger fans lest they lose all chance of selling games/merchandise.

Maybe that's why they're saying the next anime will include all Pokemon and regions, to sooth the Dexit issue.

They did their damn hardest to keep the status quo up and it lead to displeasure among fans with the Kalos finals still leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth. That backlash was so massive that it affected the company's stocks back then, and with the ongoing controversies they already have, I doubt they'd want to do anything more to anger fans lest they lose all chance of selling games/merchandise.
Do they really think, they can pull out by that with so many controversies to cover and buried for tricking us again right after this episode aired. We all know, it will be another new controversy rising soon after Ash lost to Gladion in an idiotic way. But if Ash won, I will take back all my words.

Do they really think, they can pull out by that with so many controversies to cover and buried for tricking us again right after this episode aired. We all know, it will be another new controversy rising soon after Ash lost to Gladion in an idiotic way. But if Ash won, I will take back all my words.
You can only create so much controversy and negativity before you run yourself into the ground. The Dexit issue has been one of the biggest controversies in Pokemon History afaik, I doubt any smart CEO would want to piss off more people.

Fair points, but you have to look at it from a business perspective as well.

Maybe that's why they're saying the next anime will include all Pokemon and regions, to sooth the Dexit issue.
Maybe they put the Masked Royal fight into the anime to give the League basically a battle beyond the finals battle, so that Ash could technically win and lose at the same League.

Except none of them ever had an ad campaign like this one. Diamond and Pearl, Ash only made to the Top 4 and thus if there are no new League episodes after Tobias, there was no chance of Ash winning the Sinnoh League (and quite frankly, it was already exhausting to have Paul Battle last three episodes). In Best Wishes, the writing was already on the wall due to how poorly managed the entire series was. Nobody, I repeat nobody, ever thought Ash was going to win in Best Wishes (at best, there'll be a Team Plasma interruption like in the games). XY was the only real League where people start having second thoughts of Ash's chances (I remember very early on, people were thinking that Ash was only going to regain Top 4 at best or stay Top 8). But even XY never had an official ad campaign montaging the past Leagues that Ash has faced. There was only a few mention of Ash never winning a League, but only by Team Rocket in what can only be described as a meta-commentary or 4th Wall joke. And certainly XY never had a contest to bet the winner.

And honestly, keeping the status quo ain't easy if you're going to bring up the fact that it has existed in the past. Much like the idea that Serena's crush on Ash will lead to nowhere because "status quo decree that Ash will always be oblivious to love." So many people thought it would be dropped off early, simply won't be resolved, or that Serena will get over her crush. And yet the writers love to keep giving hints episode after episode all the way till the end. I doubt anyone except the most optimistic (and hardcore) of shippers thought there would be a payoff in the end. And yet here we are now.

Are you seriously implying that the winner of the Hawaiian vacation trip contest wouldn't go just because Ash might lose to Gladion? Who in their right mind would skip a free trip to Hawaii regardless of whether or not they'll like what'll happen in this episode?

One thing I'm sure. If he loses again after all this never seen before promotion, the reactions will be way worse than in XY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom