• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've never exactly done foiler footages on those Oha segments, they only replaced the actual voice-overs with their own cringeworthy/ridiculous dialogue lines. The scenes remained the same in the respective episodes.
I don't recall this having been done in Pokémon before.
Even the page itself has no recorded cases of foiler footage from Pokémon, and even I'm praying this won't be the first time Ash is leaked to be the winner in previews, only to lose in the actual episode.

and even I'm praying this won't be the first time Ash is leaked to be the winner in previews
Wait what? Where? Was he shown with the trophy or the regional Champion in the past?

And I don't see how they can flat out compromise Ash holding a trophy, that would be an even worse bait-and-switch than the Kalos finals that'll effectively destroy TPCi.

wqVkwmI.jpg

Even though I haven't enjoyed this league, Ash finally winning a league (assuming this isn't some stupid fakeout) makes me happy. :bulbaLove:

The thought of Ash winning a league with his arguably weakest team and with his that low amount of effort he put in...

At least he won a league.
Well if he won this this one, he'll certainly win the next one. Now we just have to start crossing our fingers for an amazing Galar League in 3 years.

I don't recall this having been done in Pokémon before.
Yeah, at worst we've had some changes in animation/effects (like Lycanroc not having an aura when using Stone Edge or the scene with Greninja's giant orange disc being kinda blurred out)

pikachu and zoroark is draw!!! boom
What's with the low effort, cringy posts?
The thought of Ash winning a league with his arguably weakest team and with his that low amount of effort he put in...

Not counting BW, he's always improved his league placements. If he wins this, he definitely has to win the next ones. And hopefully they bring back the dropped Champion League sub plot for Galar.

While he may have won the league, I’m just left feeling unsatisfied after this carrot and stick game for over 20 years. So many regions with much better battles, better teams for Ash and better competition and they choose this, the absolute weakest league where the bar was so low that they put Team Rocket, Faba and Samson Oak into it. It’s like, you expected a bang and instead you get a whimper. Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh or Kalos would have been much more exciting for Ash to win, but the execution of this league has been so lackluster as a league that this feels more like a letdown.

Not counting BW, he's always improved his league placements. If he wins this, he definitely has to win the next ones. And hopefully they bring back the dropped Champion League sub plot for Galar.
This mirrors my thoughts almost exactly. I mean nothing's guaranteed because BW did happen, but...
Door's open, ladies and gentlemen. Galar has a good chance to be another heavy battle focus with what we've seen from the games and he can win that because the rule's been shattered.
I see this as an absolute win.
(Unless Ash is dropped like some people suspect but I wouldn't take out a mortgage for cash to put on that bet.)

There is a good reason why many of us continue to doubt Ash will win this league. There is a phenomenon that TV Tropes refers to as Foiler Footage that has the writers intentionally create fake footage so that spoilers won't be leaked out.

This has been done several times before, as the link shows. One example is The Simpsons multi-part episode Who Shot Mr. Burns, which created an alternate ending where Smithers was the shooter in order to hide the spoiler that Burns was shot by Maggie before airing. Other foilers include Doctor Who episodes that imply Rose will die (to hide the Ninth Doctor's regeneration) in The Parting of the Ways, and Missy is The Rani (to hide her being The Master) in Dark Waters. Marvel also did this in several movie trailers.

We've seen images implying Ash will win, but whether they're real or foilers to hide Gladion's victory won't be confirmed until Sunday. The higher promotions in regards to this league and bringing up past failures are still unusual. But doing so is a make or break situation now; Gladion winning the league after a lot of build-up could destroy this anime's reputation for good. Ash winning might save the reputation, especially if he returns as the protagonist of the SwSh series and it keeps its promise by giving spotlight on all previous regions.
What would be nice is if they leverage ash becoming the champion as a way to incorporate the previous regions. Like as Alola champ he travels to other regions for mini tourneys or something.

the madman actually did it.

idk about you guys, but Ash winning his first League with a team of five is hilarious retribution for Unova to me.

the madman actually did it.

idk about you guys, but Ash winning his first League with a team of five is hilarious retribution for Unova to me.
He did enter the League with 5 Pokemon similar to Kalos. Technically, he does have a Full Team but there was really no need to bring back his 6th Spot which is Poipole since the Most Battles were 1 VS 1 with a 2 VS 2 and 3 VS 3 although I do think he will bring it back for the Exhibition Battle.
This mirrors my thoughts almost exactly. I mean nothing's guaranteed because BW did happen, but...
Door's open, ladies and gentlemen. Galar has a good chance to be another heavy battle focus with what we've seen from the games and he can win that because the rule's been shattered.
I see this as an absolute win.
(Unless Ash is dropped like some people suspect but I wouldn't take out a mortgage for cash to put on that bet.)
I personally don't even know if we'll even see a Galar League. But if we do and Galar is the Main Focus, I do personally think he has a good chance of winning mainly if Leon is the Main Antagonist. But him winning every League after this one will make him too over-powered so there is a chance of a regression like Best Wishes.

But him winning every League after this one will make him too over-powered so there is a chance of a regression like Best Wishes.
Or... you know, they could just make the next region more intense on battles and the trainers there more experienced, no need of a reset. Kinda fits the passion for battling theme of the Galar region too, no other region has a sponsorship requirement to join to League. The challenges he'll face will mostly be about helping his Galar Pokemon (or past mons in case they're brought back) overcome their problems. Kind of like Sinnoh, you know?
They can have characters like Serena and Bonnie be the 'point of view' to new viewers, which in this case could be Gloria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom