• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

I have awoken from my slumber, and a friend linked me an article saying Ash won a legit league, and I was like, "Bullshit".

I stopped caring for the Pokemon anime directly because Ash couldn't seem to win a legit league. I deduced that he would never win one.

22 years later he finally did it, I'm happy, but I wish he would have won when I was a kid, and when my generation was also children - it would have been an even bigger deal probably.

On top of that, it does seem like he researched Pokemon Battling (by browsing Bulbapedia?) because of the normal/ghost immunity Z-move clash followed by status effects like confusion .etc.
I was honestly surprised how soon they busted out their z-moves. I expected a clash between Devastating Drake and Splintered Stormshards, but instead Ash used Breakneck Blitz of all things to win. Now I'm curious to how the Masked Royal fight will go

wow! It finally did it. Ash finally won the Pokémon League Conference! I waited 20 years for Ash becoming the champion.

The batle was so intense. Ash's Lycanroc vs Gladion's Lycanroc. It end up with Ash winning with Lycanroc's Counter, which caused Gladion's Midnight Lycanroc to be fainted when he crashed at the door.

I give this episode an A+.
I bet ash gives up this champion to someone else to enter galar region

I was honestly surprised how soon they busted out their z-moves. I expected a clash between Devastating Drake and Splintered Stormshards, but instead Ash used Breakneck Blitz of all things to win. Now I'm curious to how the Masked Royal fight will go

Especially as the bout is said to be a Full Battle: and that generally means Six on Six.

...I'll admit I am fearful that Poipole will return with Guzzlord and make it a team of Six: Pikachu, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Torracat, Poipole, Melmetal. For once I'd rather see Charizard shilling again.

....Though I could always just go 'GRENINJA!'....because let's face it, with a win league odder things have happened.

So an organised review since my first posts here have been excited messes:

Well, I was initially meh about the league but somehow actually watching Ash wins his first league was really hype inducing! I’d have never been excited enough if I just read the summaries. Actually watching the episode has a better effect.

So firstly, the Pikachu vs Zoroark battle. I felt that the battle should be been longer, and was really rushed . It would’ve helped if Zoroark had shared a move with Lycanroc and the illusion was longer.

The Ghost Z-Move's depiction was great, and one of the most unique depictions of Z-Moves. I think the Normal Z-Move was chosen because Normal's immune to ghost, and thus wouldn’t damage Pikachu if it stepped on the ghostly arms. Ash coming up with the strategy on the fly even when he hasn’t used the normal Z-Move for such a long time is the Ash I was missing! His reaction time was stellar, and that spark was missing for a long time.

Now the final Lycanroc vs Lycanroc: I really liked the initial flashbacks of Rockruff battling Lycanroc! If they wanted to insert Type;Wild that was probably the best time to do it, since it actually would’ve felt weird if inserted in the actual battle.

Gladion laughing actually demonstrates his character arc, and how far he’s come. It spreaffirmed him as my favourite character in this saga. He really deserved more appearances. I need subs to see what happened, but everyone's clueless reactions were golden! One of the actual times SM's humour didn’t look misplaced,

I was actually mentally shouting at Ash to counter Gladion's stone edges with Accelerock and he does just that the next time! Stone Edge+Counter Spam from Gladion got boring quickly, and the only interesting part was watching Ash pass or fail dealing with it.
Gladion's clearly waiting for Ash's Lycanroc to hit close range, so I wish Ash would’ve realised it and used stone edge more often, his only long range move. I was wondering if Ash would use counter during the battle. Surely his Lycanroc too knew the move?
As the battle progressed, I gave up on Ash using counter. There were some moments I thought Ash's Lycanroc would faint, and the unspeakable might happen...

And then ASH USES FUI*N COUNTER!

The battle wasn’t one of the best battles, but definitely the best one from Fujisaku, and the hype factor dulled the worst points for me.

8/10

P.S.: This was my favourite point in the episode! Anyone else?
ezgif-1-3770e951c1c2.gif

Lycanroc Midnight patted Dusk just like that when Dusk was a wee little Rockruff so it was nice to see it end that way!

So... You won a league, Ashy boy. Surprise counter tactic, no less... Well played.

How I'll feel about the anime now will depend on the path the writers choose after this win. Will they,

1. Choose to actually show Ash progress, using his previous Pokemon in a challenge beyond just gym leaders, and this time going against many previous league winners and elite four members, or,

2. Have him reset yet again, with the progression all lost, just like the past 5 generations?

Who knows - The 'all regions' saga gives a chance the 1st choice may happen (prays to arceus). But if they decide still enforce the 2nd choice, I still won't take the Anime seriously, even with this win.

lol After watching this episode I checked the OS one where Stoshi beats Shigeru and it's funny to see how they take winning differently. OS Satoshi jumps up high with a high " I WON!" while SM Satoshi is just almost emotionless.
Was expecting more of the former.

2. Have him reset yet again, with the progression all lost, just like the past 5 generations?
I really hope in next series he will get progress every new region and maybe age as well, this would be a great idea.
But i think it will be a AU Ash again i personally think ash gets always reset in new series because its not the same ash.
Because of that i really hope this time a ash with real progress with character development and aging and so on.

I really want to enjoy the fact that a milestone has been reached after more than 2 decades.... too bad that it's tainted by a really underwhelming League. Like it was purposefully tonned down so Ash can actually have a chance. The battle here was an improvement over the one with Rowlet, but that's like saying bland rice is better than boiled spinach.

I'd say more like SM and OS Satoshi being entirely different characters. Of course it's still the same universe but it's known already that the writing became inconsistent after BW.

In my opinion SM's been the worst in this case, in which this Satoshi looks nothing like the Satoshi from OS-XY.

I'd say more like SM and OS Satoshi being entirely different characters. Of course it's still the same universe but it's known already that the writing became inconsistent after BW.

In my opinion SM's been the worst in this case, in which this Satoshi looks nothing like the Satoshi from OS-XY.
I think every different series is also a different universe.
OS,XY or SM Ash isn't the same ash, i also have read that a writer or producer said something as well, but its long time to find the soucre or remember it clearly.

Honestly, the only saga where they soft-reset him was in BW, no other series reset him in any way.

Ever since gen III, Ash does 'reset', in that the writers make him box all his previous pokemon (excluding pikachu) to exclusively focus on new ones to use in the same old gym challenge format.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom