• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Well, this half was better than the first half, but still pretty lackluster. The move spamming just annoys the hell out of me, and it didn't help that both Lycanroc knew Stone Edge. I think I would have enjoyed this battle more had there been a larger variety of moves used.

Pikachu vs. Zoroark was decent I'll say. I do wish they'd lasted a bit longer, tho. I was very happy to see Ash have Pikachu use Breakneck Blitz instead of one of his electric Z-Moves.

The Lycanroc battle seemed like too much at times. Ash's dog took so much damage, including 3 counters, but was still able to fight. Yet Gladion's dog take's a few hits and is bruised up and then down for the count. It came across as unbelievable, just like when M-Lycanroc battled Kiawe. Now I did like how Outrage confused Lycanroc and had him hurt himself. But the fact that he broke out of it so quickly kind of ruined it. It would have been better imo, had GGladion lost due to his dog being confused and unable to save himself instead of....Countering Counter. Again, Ash's dog takes 3 of these along with other attacks and is totally fine, but all it takes is one to K.O. Gladions....whatever.

I am happy that after 20+ years Ash has finally won a region's league, but I am pretty miffed that it was this league. I feel like the hype just wasn't there for me. 6/10.

Gladion laughing tho...that was surprising.

Satoshi, you just won the Pokemon League, what are you going to do now.
Satoshi:

Dang, our boy Satoshi gone and done it. After what feels like twenty years, this ten-year old has finally become a Pokemon League Champion.

Ok, some random thoughts:
  • You know, after last series tournament final ended with a Ninja Hybrid Frog taking on a Blue Flame Black Dragon I couldn't help but worry that a battle between two differently coloured wolves would seem lackluster by comparion but dang nabbit, this was actually a thrilling and intense match where either competitor looked like they could win at any point. Great job, show.
  • I didn't mind Pikachu and Zoroark knocking each other out with Z-Moves (especially since I worried that the final battle would end that way). What I did mind is that Corkscrew Crash wasn't the one to finish the job, since it failed in its only other non-Rocket battle.
  • The music in this was incredible. Really helped to convey the intensity.
  • I genuinely though the show had forgotten about Satoshi's Lugarugan knowing Counter, so seeing him hold it back to finish Glazio's off was a huge surprise.
  • Dang, Satoshi is cursed when it comes to his leagues finishing. Last time Team Flare attacked, and now Akuziking.
  • Satoshi laughing before the final battle was a great moment which was made better when Glazio joined in. Liked seeing the kid has lightened up to that point.

So yeah, excellent episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited two decades. TWO FUCKING DECADES for this shit to happen. I was subjected to endless mocking for thinking it was at all possible. and it finally happened and fucking sucked. The Lycanroc rivalry was unconsequential it could have been done in the first round. There's no fucking excuse for it not to be a full battle. The Lycanroc versus Lycanroc battle was stretched to hell and back and it still included a mother fucking STILL FRAME MONTAGE.

I'm fucking livid. What fucking hell was fucking point of making us wait so fucking long if this fucking bullshit was what they were going to deliver!?

Last edited:
Wow, you could be a little less sarcastic and edgy. I doubt SM Ash is at the bottom of his game, that honor goes to either BW or OS Ash with the latter being excusable to due to his rookie stage. And which other characters did "screw over" (Hau was screwed over by Rowlet and Hala, not Ash). Because apparently you're using that term loosely in some sort of weird way to express some negative feeling (frustration?).
Sarcastic and Edgy? Is that what we're calling bad writing and honesty nowadays?

Is this what the anime's turned people into?

Did gladion wonder why a 80% accuracy move missed?
The animation in the the first half was so cartoon-y and energetic,wich wasn't a problem
+Am I the only who explodes with happiness literally everytime I see gladion's both eyes
ANd now I'm going to live with a fake memory that dusk landed then pushed itself while using counter to throw midnight , instead of ?? What actually hapened?

Finally returned to join in on this celebration. Congratulations to our boy Ash for finally winning a League. I don’t care what anyone says about ‘this League let anyone be in it’ or ‘Ash wasn’t at the top of his game’, ASH WON FAIR AND SQUARE.

I’ve been watching Pokémon since the Diamond and Pearl series, and I still remember watching Ash get brutally beaten by Tobias. I always wanted Ash to win, but every time something came in his way. And now... he did it.

Not only was it a fair win using true strategy, Ash won against his main rival this series Gladion. That really made everything come together nicely, along with getting the Lycanroc vs Lycanroc fight we needed.

Ash’s shocked face after winning really summed up how I and many others felt as well. “Wait... he won. Oh boy he actually won”.

I am so happy right now. I’ver been waiting so long for this moment of joy.

I like how he's stunned for a full minute until Gladion snaps him out of it by commenting on him spacing out. And unlike his past self, he didn't jump around wildly in joy but smiled and calmly shook Gladion's hand.
Shows how he has matured over time.

I know people want to shit on the Alola League for being a weak sauce League compared to literally every other league besides the Orange Islands. But c'mon people Ash finally fucking did the impossible! We either take it or leave it. I honestly take it after such a long wait. It's also so heartwarming seeing Ash's reaction to his win. Nothing exaggerated, but instead a reaction you would expect from him after so many failed tries. Pure confusion. Ironically enough now that he's won a league, I don't want to see his journey end just yet. There's still much potential for his character that it would be disheartening seeing his character be retired after one victory. C'mon Pokémon, we want to see more Ash Ketchum/Satoshi, not less.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom