• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

This was amazing!!
I love it, I love it, I love it so much!! This is my personal favorite series (kind of biased since Sun & Moon was the first series I really followed from beginning to end and I have the deepest connection with it) and to see Ash become the league champion is just the cherry on top! The battles were gorgeous and action-packed! I combined the battles from both episodes into one full battle, and it transitioned much better and felt more satisfying (though Ash winning is satisfying no matter what). The Lycanroc vs Lycanroc battle was honestly way better than I expected and was my personal favorite battle of the league. It was a very well executed and animated battle! I personally believe that Ash deserved this victory 100% and I was very proud of him and all of his Pokémon in this league. Despite what people say about Ash “resetting”, I truly believe that he has grown so much as a trainer since the beginning of his journey. I felt honored to be able to watch all of his hard work paying off. I’ve been watching Pokémon since I was 4 and Ash easily became my favorite television character... 12 years later and he still is unrivaled. Ash Ketchum is so fun, upbeat, caring, determined, a bit naive, silly and friendly. But most of all he is relentless, as this battle proved. We’ve come a long way since the Indigo League, and it’s been a hell of a ride. Here’s to many more years of adventures and wonder! Congratulations Ash!:bulbaLove:

Edit: Also, this is now my wallpaper:love:
ddg92is-f45725fd-2c95-4d84-b9a0-2b9589ca613a.png

Alexalan (DeviantArt)

Last edited:
Gives me hope that Bewear will ensure that Team Rocket never leave Alola

So because the usual trio is with Bewear, I think it's Butch and Cassidy's turn. Also, are you worried if the next anime will feature M20 arc Ash instead of regular Anime Ash?

I'm so proud of my boy for finally winning a game-based region's League!!! I'm also proud of his Alolan team too, Dusk Lycanroc especially, if only Nebby and Poipole were there to experience his victory. He definitely deserved this win imo.

This is such a big moment in Pokemon anime history

Well, I guess it's nice that Ash finally won a league tourney.

Not gonna lie, I found the battle underwhelming. It wasn't nearly as dynamic or riveting for me as the league tourney in Kalos. I'm always gonna be salty about that loss and I can admit that it colors my view of his win here. Oh, well....

Oh, forgot to mention in my first post, but I wish Delia and Oak would have looked a bit...I dunno happier over Ash winning. They were so calm and dull, like this was any other tournament. I would have liked some tears of joy from Delia at least.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that. Delia, Oak and Team Rocket really should've freaked out a little more. They've been watching him on his journey for as long as we have.
But then again Ash's relationship with Delia is so odd. They don't even hug when they see each other. They just stare at each other.

Welp, it was a good battle overall. My complete thoughts on the results depend completely on what the next series is going to be about, though. I wonder if the next series will serve as a sort of "final adventure" for him, considering all regions will be featured. If that's the case then it makes sense to make him win a League before that final series. But if Ash is NOT in the next series then this doesn't really work as a "last hurray" for him, albeit all in all I prefer him winning than not in both scenarios.

But then again Ash's relationship with Delia is so odd. They don't even hug when they see each other. They just stare at each other.
I used to find this odd, but then I realized this is an anime and Japanese culture isn't very oriented towards physical affection. I'm pretty sure it's not common to see Japanese people hugging each other, even among family.

Well, I'll admit it, I'm 30 years old and I cried when Ash finally won. When I was a kid you were everything I wish I could be. You taught me that it was okay to fail as long as you got up and tried again. And now after all these years you really are finally making progress towards your dream. It's never too late, even 22 years later.

Now I don't really go to the Pokemon anime for the hight of animation and writing. So yeah this episode had some problems, but I don't care right now. Maybe at some point in the future, I will watch this episode again to try and figure out its faults and strengths. But for now, I'm just revealing in the victory.

Congratulations Ash, no matter what anyone says, you deserve this.

ok, so I had the outcome of this episode spoiled to me because literally every corner of the internet was talking about this, but anyways...

Here’s my thoughts on this monumental episode :3

• Pikachu destroying Zoroark with that Normal type Z-move was a truly epic moment, but I was very saddened indeed when I saw that he didn’t survive the collision :(
  • Ash and Gladio sharing that laughing fit together was so adorable omg I almost cried; you can just tell Ash is enjoying himself so much and I’m so happy he’s getting to do what he loves crying face
  • is it just me or is this show obsessed with Stone Edge...I swear Serena’s Pancham used to use it ALL THE TIME back in XY
  • I’m very, very satisfied that Ash finally won a league championship after all these years. The Lycanroc vs. Lycanroc was a nice battle to put a cap on the whole tournament, and it’s just oh so rewarding to see Ash attain victory after keeping up with this show for 20+ years
  • HOWEVER, I might be in the minority for saying this, but I hope they don’t go down the reboot route for next Gen’s anime...I’m still interested in Ash’s story, even post league-victory

Next week
  • next week’s episode looks very random, but sure...I’m down for a Z-move showdown extravaganza
  • hopefully we get more episode titles soon so I can rest easy that Lillie, Lana, Mallow, Kiawe, and Sophocles will all get satisfying send-offs before this series ends!!

I read somewhere that the two are closer to brother and sister than son and mom (or maybe my head is making that up...)
These posts kinda remind me of Pokémon 3, where Delia greeted Pikachu with a cheery "Hello, Pikachu!" and a hug, and then just casually said "Oh, hi, honey." to her own son.
HOWEVER, I might be in the minority for saying this, but I hope they don’t go down the reboot route for next Gen’s anime...I’m still interested in Ash’s story, even post league-victory
I'd like to see Ash's travels more too. And I think that's what's going to happen, in one way or another. Ash is just too iconic to be abandoned.

Well this is quite funny. The NOS, which is the biggest news site in The Netherlands (and the official state funded news outlet) posted about Ash on their website. Right inbetween the important (world)news of the day :ROFLMAO:

Headline reads "Ash Ketchum finally becomes Pokémon Master after 22 years".

Article is here for those interested (although it's in Dutch): Ash Ketchum na 22 jaar eindelijk Pokémon-Master

You know, while I LOVE that all these news sites are reporting on this, these headlines are kind of pushing the narrative that winning the League = Pokemon Master, which has pretty much been tossed out by now. If Ash doesn’t leave for the next series, I fear for the fallout.

Says who? Even Yuyama had to come out and clarify that League Conference win =/= Pokemon Mastery. And given the excitable and curious nature he has, he won't just call it a day after this win. He didn't do so back in Orange or when he was offered a Frontier Brain position (the latter probably being a high paying, high ranking job), why would he do now? Especially when there's a new region and new Pokemon to uncover.
Oh, he may continue his journey. We're just not going to see it, if what has been suggested for the next anime comes to fruition.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom