• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Now they have to not have Ash win every league from this point on since that is just as repetitive and boring.
To tell the truth, that's something I would like. I would have preferred if the anime gave me the chance to think "I wonder if Ash will win?" instead of what I felt in the past: "Gee, I wonder when Ash will lose?"

To tell the truth, that's something I would like. I would have preferred if the anime gave me the chance to think "I wonder if Ash will win?" instead of what I felt in the past: "Gee, I wonder when Ash will lose?"
To add to that, I’m hoping that they can also add that kind of thing to his future rivals as well, not having them beat him every time until the league instead making things unpredictable. If there’s one good thing about Sun and Moon, it’s that it broke all of the rules. We’re in uncharted territory where the future is uncertain. It’s pretty exciting when you think about it.

but according to Rica, Ash winning in Alola was planned from the very start.
No, she says she was told in the beginning of the Alola League, not the saga itself. She doesn't specify anything in the interview when the victory was planned for him.

Article on forbes.com :
After Two Decades, Ash Has Finally Become The Pokémon League Champion
(The author actually seems to have some knowledge of Pokemon considering that he didn't mix up "Champion" and "Master" and was the only one to actually write about the battle itself)

The fact that even Forbes(!) reports about it makes me wonder when Ash will make it on the Forbes list of the most influential/powerful persons! :giggle:

Last edited:
While it's nice and all that Ash has finally won a league, I for one would have preferred it if that win had been Sinnoh or Kalos instead.
Seems that quite a bit of the fandom is in agreement there that either of those leagues would have been better from a narrative standpoint considering them representing Ash at the top of his game and Sinnoh being the point where Ash even brought back his past Pokémon to help him.

If you have final battles that are say, vs Paul or vs Alain tier the fans would be fond of it. If they are say....Ash v Cameron on Cactus Juice, they won't be.

I remember even having a conversation at work with a fellow coworker this past Sunday. About Ash's win and my thoughts about it which I've already stated above.

Pros:
Satoshi finally won a league! Take that non-believers!
Lugarugan's rivalry got a decent conclusion.

Cons:
The league was underwhelming compared to the previous one.
No references to the older companions and pokémon! It's so disappointing to see none of them, not even as voiceless cameos! I was expecting at least to see Kasumi and Takeshi again, since they already appeared in SM, but no, even they were absent. Even Team Rocket seems uninterested in his win, which is pretty out of character compared to how invested they were in the Kalos league.

Last edited:
Now that Ash won, does that mean the US will adopt the metric system?

Pros:
Satoshi finally won a league! Take that non-believers!
Lugarugan's rivalry got a decent conclusion.

Cons:
The league was underwhelming compared to the previous one.
No references to the older companions and pokémon! It's so disappointing to see none of them, not even as voiceless cameos! I was expecting at least to see Kasumi and Takeshi again, since they already appeared in SM, but no, even they were absent. Even Team Rocket seems uninterested in his win, which is pretty out of character compared to how invested they were in the Kalos league.

Will Iris still call him a little kid?

It's been like 4 months and Enter The Champion is going to air in English on January 18 (in the USA at least, maybe earlier in Australia). It's time, but on the other side I'm really pissed off on how the episode's "Ash wins Alola League, but that's not all (he's going to a rematch)" ending got news attention months before the English dub will air. And all of them failed to mention "This episode is yet to air in America" or something among the lines of that...

I was just saying the episode will have already died down by this point, and WatchMojo actually used raw JP clips with a sort-of "telling by the visuals" script after the news broke in. Back in the PokeMania days, we were warned that Gold and Silver will have all-new Pokemon and they won't come out until later with stuff like Togetic and Azumarill coming in very rarely.

Last edited:
I was just saying the episode will have already died down by this point, and WatchMojo actually used raw JP clips with a sort-of "telling by the visuals" script after the news broke in. Back in the PokeMania days, we were warned that Gold and Silver will have all-new Pokemon and they won't come out until later with stuff like Togetic and Azumarill coming in very rarely.
Well, there's also the fact that back in the GS days Internet wasn't as common as it is today, so things like that would still be surprising to the west.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom