• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM140: Akuziking Invasion! The Great Z-Move Battle!!

Wow.

For an invasion that big, I wasn't expecting it to be that boring.
Literally half the episode is devoted to the show showing off some Z moves one more time before they dump some stock footage for good and if it wasn't for the ending (which even that feels abrupt) and that one Team Rocket moment I would have labelled this one as dull guff.

"Stock Footage! The Episode" might as well have been the title for this one.

Last edited:
This episode is ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Ash and his friend along everyone fought not 1, not 2 BUT 3 Guzzlord. They really pull this one up with everything the best they can to make this episode that will never forget.

Overall: A+

Apart from the return of Naganadel, this episode seemed rather pointless

Bewear could easily have taken Guzzlord down if it didn't try and protect Stufful, liked how Team Rocket saved Bewear instead of the other way round

Apart from the return of Naganadel, this episode seemed rather pointless

Bewear could easily have taken Guzzlord down if it didn't try and protect Stufful, liked how Team Rocket saved Bewear instead of the other way round
I know. That will be very boring to see that happen as Bewear always steal the show. Nonetheless, at the end of the episode. MASKED ROYAL exposed!!!

Not a very likable episode for me.

Guzzlord was introduced in a rather serious two-parter that established just how deadly these things are and the massive negative impact one can have on its immediate environment. Yet here, everyone is able to split off into Power Rangers-esque groups and quickly defeat their respective Guzzlord with an assortment of Z-moves; and even though there was a group of two, four, and seven, they all achieved the same result which dampened the impact of the plethora of Z-Moves used. Thus, all this was was an unnecessary tool to bring back Naganadel (who is able to instantly use a Z-Move, for the first time mind you, with a stranger it has no bond with) while simultaneously revealing in-show Kukui's true identity, all in time for the final match to give Ash his sixth Alolan team member.

Too rushed (the buildup of Team Rocket's machine, Naganadel's return, the Guzzlord invasion and its ensuing destruction), too much stock footage (every Z-Move was exactly the same barring Naganadel's first time using Gigavolt etc.), Bewear's suddenly not OP (since when does it just...keel over and let itself get beaten up?), and not enough depth (like most Sun & Moon episodes, but still).

There were some good moments like Team Rocket saving Bewear and seeing Poipole come back, even if its voice is still awful, albeit admittedly less so, and I also thought the Masked Royal getting exposed scene was actually funny, a good example of SM's gag humor hitting its mark. The rest of the episode however was rather lacking. We were half way through it before anything really started happening, and the second half was mostly just one giant battle riddled with stock footage and a z-move montage that almost felt longer than the rest of the league that preceded it.

There have been worse Sun and Moon episodes, but this one certainly wasn't one of the series' hits.

This would've been far better if it was a two parter, but I guess everyone being prepared (at least in comparison to what I assume would be Dia's world) is probably why everything was so resolved so quickly.

I mean technically Dia and Ash did it just fine with the one Guzzlord, and that's presumably with weakened Z-moves, though I don't know if the Z-move issue was ever properly explained.

But here everyone used full power Z-moves, so it makes sense they were dispatched so easily.

Too rushed (the buildup of Team Rocket's machine, Naganadel's return, the Guzzlord invasion and its ensuing destruction), too much stock footage (every Z-Move was exactly the same barring Naganadel's first time using Gigavolt etc.), Bewear's suddenly not OP (since when does it just...keel over and let itself get beaten up?), and not enough depth (like most Sun & Moon episodes, but still).

Two things:

1. It's Guzzlord not just some lesser Ultra Beast, Bewear was doing fine, but what do you expect with it being Guzzlord.

2. It also had to protect its child, which I'm pretty sure came first, rather than onslaught attacking it even if it could do anything to Guzzlord (which I doubt).

Seriously... I'd want to voice more detailed opinions of this episode, but... I honestly wasn't expecting such a wave of negativity! Sure the three Guzzlord were defeated fast, but hello, there were more Z-Move users here than there were in the Ultra Ruin! Besides, the next episode's title revealed that the crisis would only last for one episode!

This episode is ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Ash and his friend along everyone fought not 1, not 2 BUT 3 Guzzlord. They really pull this one up with everything the best they can to make this episode that will never forget.

Overall: A+
I thought there were 2 Guzzlords but I don't expect the thrid one! It would be insance and looking forward to watching it in English! Ash's Naganadel's return is also a plus!

Two things:

1. It's Guzzlord not just some lesser Ultra Beast, Bewear was doing fine, but what do you expect with it being Guzzlord.

2. It also had to protect its child, which I'm pretty sure came first, rather than onslaught attacking it even if it could do anything to Guzzlord (which I doubt).

And this is Bewear; given what we've witnessed of its capabilities throughout the saga, it should be able to handle Guzzlord-which it did before it chose to hold its baby and remain planted, right in front of Guzzlord. That's what I had a problem with; it was uncharacteristic of it. Now, if the writers/whomever would have had Guzzy incapacitate Bewear with a move, restricting its movement while simultaneously having to now defend its child, that would been better writing and acceptable imo.

And this is Bewear; given what we've witnessed of its capabilities throughout the saga, it should be able to handle Guzzlord-which it did before it chose to hold its baby and remain planted, right in front of Guzzlord. That's what I had a problem with; it was uncharacteristic of it. Now, if the writers/whomever would have had Guzzy incapacitate Bewear with a move, restricting its movement while simultaneously having to now defend its child, that would been better writing and acceptable imo.
I actually like Bewear showing weakness here. Gives a believable crack in her OPness.

I actually like Bewear showing weakness here. Gives a believable crack in her OPness.
Showing weakness is fine; it's just a matter of how it's done.
I've admittedly grown fond of Bewear's insane strength gag, after initially being annoyed with it; I wouldn't have batted an eye if there was a fourth Guzzlord that she personally tossed back into an Ultra Wormhole.

Showing weakness is fine; it's just a matter of how it's done.
I've admittedly grown fond of Bewear's insane strength gag, after initially being annoyed with it; I wouldn't have batted an eye if there was a fourth Guzzlord that she personally tossed back into an Ultra Wormhole.
For me, Bewear's OPness grew tiresome ages ago, and it was refreshing to see TRT being the ones to save her for a change. I also liked her not being a Guzzlord defeater.

it was refreshing to see TRT being the ones to save her for a change.
This was a highlight for me as well (although I wish the robot they so heavily invested in for the past several episodes got to do more). Still, them getting to blast off on their own time, safe and sound, was neat.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom