• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM141: Final Battle! Satoshi VS Kukui!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash literally sent out Infernape second against Paul, and Kukui has a lot of similarities with Ash.
I honestly forgot about that.
This battle seems really weird since they usually save rival show offs for the last, and both Incineroar and Torracat's being used early.

And with the amount of spoiling this anime does, I feel we’d have seen it by now if Kukui's first Pokemon was something not named Incineroar.

And with the amount of spoiling this anime does, I feel we’d have seen it by now if Kukui's first Pokemon was something not named Incineroar.
Oh you can guarantee we'll see the key points of the battle being spoiled on the coming Friday, courtesy of Oha "cringeworthy" Suta.

Everyone's talking about how the writers could potentially ruin this episode by screwing up the battle (or, at least, they were when I started to write this), yet another issue that ticks me off more about this episode, that no one's talking about, is the fact that Kukui's alter ego is apparently being revealed to the entire world. All of that supposed build-up, all of Kukui's secrecy, the struggle to keep his identity a secret, the great potential and the impact of the actual reveal and its effects (except for the circumstances of his unmasking)... all of that will basically be rendered pointless by this episode.

Kukui was shown to be very protective of his identity as Masked Royal ever since his alter ego was introduced, treating it with much seriousness and secrecy to the point of being unable to solve conflicts started by his wrestling persona due to this need for secrecy. But this episode (and, to a degree, the previous one as well) makes that completely purposeless. Turns out that it didn't really matter if people knew his identity or not, since now all of Alola is gonna know who the Masked Royal really is (which the bits in the preview where he's trying to explain himself to all of his students or the fact that the exhibition match will now be against him instead of the Royal strongly hint that this will be the case) and, apparently, he will be suffering no consequences whatsoever, which seemed to be hinted at by his need for secrecy. He didn't stand to gain or lose anything from this whole masquerade, it apparently wasn't going to affect him is some way and it had no propose in terms of the story, outside of creating conflicts that now seem like they are pointless and could've been easily avoided or dealt with. They took everything about the Kukui/Masked Royal plot point and threw it out the kriffing window, all for the sake of cheaply mimicking the games (where the player battles Kukui right as they're becoming the champion) as closely as possible and for the sake of forcefully injecting the show's idiotic comedy (thanks to the nature of his unmasking and the way everyone has reacted to/is gonna react to it).

Everyone's talking about how the writers could potentially ruin this episode by screwing up the battle (or, at least, they were when I started to write this), yet another issue that ticks me off more about this episode, that no one's talking about, is the fact that Kukui's alter ego is apparently being revealed to the entire world. All of that supposed build-up, all of Kukui's secrecy, the struggle to keep his identity a secret, the great potential and the impact of the actual reveal and its effects (except for the circumstances of his unmasking)... all of that will basically be rendered pointless by this episode.

Kukui was shown to be very protective of his identity as Masked Royal ever since his alter ego was introduced, treating it with much seriousness and secrecy to the point of being unable to solve conflicts started by his wrestling persona due to this need for secrecy. But this episode (and, to a degree, the previous one as well) makes that completely purposeless. Turns out that it didn't really matter if people knew his identity or not, since now all of Alola is gonna know who the Masked Royal really is (which the bits in the preview where he's trying to explain himself to all of his students or the fact that the exhibition match will now be against him instead of the Royal strongly hint that this will be the case) and, apparently, he will be suffering no consequences whatsoever, which seemed to be hinted at by his need for secrecy. He didn't stand to gain or lose anything from this whole masquerade, it apparently wasn't going to affect him is some way and it had no propose in terms of the story, outside of creating conflicts that now seem like they are pointless and could've been easily avoided or dealt with. They took everything about the Kukui/Masked Royal plot point and threw it out the kriffing window, all for the sake of cheaply mimicking the games (where the player battles Kukui right as they're becoming the champion) as closely as possible and for the sake of forcefully injecting the show's idiotic comedy (thanks to the nature of his unmasking and the way everyone has reacted to/is gonna react to it).
...What do you think could have been achieved...?

God this battle looks so plain and by-the-numbers. Now that there's no big stakes involved in whether Ash wins or loses, it's almost like this battle just doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.

God this battle looks so plain and by-the-numbers. Now that there's no big stakes involved in whether Ash wins or loses, it's almost like this battle just doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.
Which is pretty much the definition of an exhibition match? It's not supposed to matter. It's for just fun/show

Wasn’t everybody on the boat next to Ash and Kukui? Wouldn’t they have all seen his true identity because everything was happening 10 feet away?

...What do you think could have been achieved...?

Personally, something like a "superhero revealing his identity"-type of story, with Kukui choosing to reveal his identity to Ash behind closed curtains, after their battle, would've been far better. It would've done a better job at delivering a satisfying emotional pay-off to the whole subplot, while also showing some growth in the characters and their respect for each other (since the only other times he's done something like that was out of desperation or because of his strong friendship with someone). And with Burnet, they could've done something similar to the games, with her eventually putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that Kukui is the Masked Royal, but she coses to respect his wishes and not to tell him that she knows and, instead, is willing to wait for when he's ready to tell her that himself. Or anything other than "Kukui exposes his secret identity to the entirety of Alola" would've better, as the current scenario undermines the previous episodes that focused on this matter and make any reason for his secrecy (or the even the idea of there being a reason for this charade) irrelevant and virtually non-existent (which, now that I think about it, him doing this for no reason to not only his ward, but also his wife really makes him look like an a-holish douche).

September 29 and October 6 2019 sundays two. my youtube. Satoshi VS Kukui. pokemon sun and moon episode 141-142 Final Battle! Satoshi VS Kukui!! Burn! Swell Up!! Full Battle!!!, satoshi's never not lose!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, something like a "superhero revealing his identity"-type of story, with Kukui choosing to reveal his identity to Ash behind closed curtains, after their battle, would've been far better. It would've done a better job at delivering a satisfying emotional pay-off to the whole subplot, while also showing some growth in the characters and their respect for each other (since the only other times he's done something like that was out of desperation or because of his strong friendship with someone). And with Burnet, they could've done something similar to the games, with her eventually putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that Kukui is the Masked Royal, but she coses to respect his wishes and not to tell him that she knows and, instead, is willing to wait for when he's ready to tell her that himself. Or anything other than "Kukui exposes his secret identity to the entirety of Alola" would've better, as the current scenario undermines the previous episodes that focused on this matter and make any reason for his secrecy (or the even the idea of there being a reason for this charade) irrelevant and virtually non-existent (which, now that I think about it, him doing this for no reason to not only his ward, but also his wife really makes him look like an a-holish douche).
That, or in the case of Ash winning (which I doubt will happen but roll with it), the Masked Royal goes to the center of the field and takes off his mask to make his defeat known, as happens in the wrestler tradition.

Hell, they could even have him gift the mask to Ash to symbolise their respect and friendship.

I'll be honest, I had high hopes for a full battle but the preview has only shown Incineroar so I can't help but think we won't see 6 of Kukui's team

Oh. So the Guzzlord attack wasn't a 2-parter :cry:

Naganadel and Melmetal are such cheap additions. They've barely been trained.

Welcome to Pocket Monsters Sun and Moon!
Here, have a Z-Crystal. (Along a Z-Ring and Mythical Pokemon)

We only saw incineroar on kukui´s side, and Lycanroc and torracat on ash´s side. I think torracat will defeat incineroar , and maybe evolve against it. Both Lycanroc and rowlett defeated their rivals( midnight Lycanroc and dartrix/decydueye), so torracat should also defeat his rival. Ash will probably send Lycanroc first, since he has type advantage against incineroar, but will be defeated. Then, ash sends torracat. If torracat defeats incineroar, kukui´s other pokemon dont seem too strong, lucario was defeated by a single hit from guzzlord. Braviary seens to be a little stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom