• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM142: Burn! Swell Up!! Full Battle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also pretty sure this means Ash won the league unless Gladion handed off the Exhibition match to Ash
Now what logic will there be in him doing that? One of Gladion's aim is to become a better/stronger trainer, head as high as possible. Although he has no personal stakes against the MR, there's no reason he'd drop the exhibition match.

Now what logic will there be in him doing that? One of Gladion's aim is to become a better/stronger trainer, head as high as possible. Although he has no personal stakes against the MR, there's no reason he'd drop the exhibition match.
He might give it up to go search for his father, but I doubt it.

That doesn't make any sense.
It's like not watching the closing show for the Super Bowl, or Olympics
Because Gladion's already champion, and therefore the strongest trainer

If Masked Royal had been fighting in the league, then we'd know how strong he is and Gladion might have been more interested in battling him, but as it stands, MR really isn't that impressive

It's a league episode because it's the reward for beating the league

I'm also pretty sure this means Ash won the league unless Gladion handed off the Exhibition match to Ash

You know as well as I that Ash will never accept a free Exhibition match without earning it first.

I disagree about that. I think he would accept it if the person who offered it is someone whom he respects. Also it just sounds like something that SuMo Ash would agree to imo.

No, what's more likely going to happen is Ash persuading Gladion to fight the Royal Mask himself rather than just pawning it off to someone else. Why would he accept something he hasn't earned? If Gladion isn't going to accept battling the Royal Mask, why participate at all? It's not in his character to turn down another chance to prove his strength since Royal Mask supposed to be the best of the best.

Why would he accept something he hasn't earned?

I don't know, why would he cheat on a school assignment? Why would he try to forcefully catch a Pokémon he's been traveling with when it wants to leave him so it could happily live out one of its dreams?

If the plot will demand it, the writers will make SM Ash go against its entire character and moral code in order to accomplish what the plot wants to accomplish.

Now, in a perfect world, Gladion would win the league (since he's far more deserving of the win than SM's version of Ash will ever be (especially after his stupid, nonsensical, plot device-y battle with Hau)) and we would get at least two episode focusing on his battle with the Masked Royal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he reject the prize match and, instead, give it to SM Ash because the plot demands it out of the goodness of his heart.

It occurs to me that if Satoshi is indeed going to be retired at the end of this series, a full battle would be a good way to showcase some of his more memorable Pokemon over the years.

It occurs to me that if Satoshi is indeed going to be retired at the end of this series, a full battle would be a good way to showcase some of his more memorable Pokemon over the years.

You think he'll call back several of his reserves? Tbh I think he'll just bring back one or else use Poipole who might conveniently return just for this match.

I don't know, but I will be disappointed if Satoshi's journey ends and we don't get to see some more of his older Pokemon.

I don't know, why would he cheat on a school assignment? Why would he try to forcefully catch a Pokémon he's been traveling with when it wants to leave him so it could happily live out one of its dreams?

If the plot will demand it, the writers will make SM Ash go against its entire character and moral code in order to accomplish what the plot wants to accomplish.

Now, in a perfect world, Gladion would win the league (since he's far more deserving of the win than SM's version of Ash will ever be (especially after his stupid, nonsensical, plot device-y battle with Hau)) and we would get at least two episode focusing on his battle with the Masked Royal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he reject the prize match and, instead, give it to SM Ash because the plot demands it out of the goodness of his heart.

A school assignment that he got caught cheating, and one that he has to rush through considering he accepted Rotomdex's solution. And I'm not sure what Pokémon you are referring to?

Regardless, why bother with the whole forfeit and give the exhibition match to the runner-up when you can do something as a simple as Ash beats Gladion, therefore he has the rights to the Royal Mask Match?

Are we so pessimistic about Ash winning that well'll bend backwards to rationalize a League loss and yet expect the story to act as if Ash won anyways? XY didn't have some Champion Exhibition Match reward at the end, so the battle against Alain is the ultimate match. BW didn't have some Exhibition Match promised at the end of its League (Junior Cup do not count), so it's not like Ash has stick around after that League. And DP, well the main conflict is Paul and Tobias was the ultimate trainer to face (Cynthia is impossible to even reach regardless). The point is, why even give Ash the winner's reward if he isn't the winner?

He saved the world from a Guzzlord

Twice

Unless you're implying that Gladion got eaten by Guzzlord, I don't see how to leads to Ash earning the Royal Mask's Match. If anything, the synopsis for the Guzzlord Interruption episode implies everyone has to work together to defeat Guzzlord. Keep in mind, even Ash couldn't defeat Guzzlord alone. Not without the help of Dia.

And if everybody helps, why don't they get the Royal Mask's Exhibition Match?

Unless you're implying that Gladion got eaten by Guzzlord, I don't see how to leads to Ash earning the Royal Mask's Match. If anything, the synopsis for the Guzzlord Interruption episode implies everyone has to work together to defeat Guzzlord. Keep in mind, even Ash couldn't defeat Guzzlord alone. Not without the help of Dia.
Dear lord, that's a disturbing thought. They could do some sort of mini Ultra Beast invasion arc, like the one we see in the SM games. They can also tie in Mohn's return with this episode (and the next's half if it goes longer).

A school assignment that he got caught cheating, and one that he has to rush through considering he accepted Rotomdex's solution. And I'm not sure what Pokémon you are referring to?

Regardless, why bother with the whole forfeit and give the exhibition match to the runner-up when you can do something as a simple as Ash beats Gladion, therefore he has the rights to the Royal Mask Match?

Are we so pessimistic about Ash winning that well'll bend backwards to rationalize a League loss and yet expect the story to act as if Ash won anyways? XY didn't have some Champion Exhibition Match reward at the end, so the battle against Alain is the ultimate match. BW didn't have some Exhibition Match promised at the end of its League (Junior Cup do not count), so it's not like Ash has stick around after that League. And DP, well the main conflict is Paul and Tobias was the ultimate trainer to face (Cynthia is impossible to even reach regardless). The point is, why even give Ash the winner's reward if he isn't the winner?

My point wasn't whether he was or wasn't caught cheating, my point was that the fact that he even decided to cheat goes against his entire character and his moral code, since he has always been someone who would do things "fair and square" (in fact, this is even something that he straight up says at one point (and in BW of all series)). Same goes for that time when he tried to catch the Rotom Pokédex, so that he could stop it from staring in his favorite TV show and, thus, stop it from leaving him, even though Ash has never been this petty or self-centered and has always been the kind of person who would always release his own Pokémon if it would've allowed them to be happier and live better lives.

The entire point of those statements was to show that the writers of this series would sometimes do anything in order to have the plot progress (something that you even argued to me a few weeks back), regardless of whether it makes sense or whether the characters' actions match with their character and portrayal (and both of these actions go against Ash's character). If the writers would want Gladion to win, but have Ash fight against the Masked Royal as well, then there's nothing stopping them from coming up with a way to have both happen, whether it makes sense or not (which I'm not advocating that they should do that, I'm just saying that they very well could do it).

And I'm not denying that Ash could win this match. Considering who the writer for both of the episode covering the league's finals is, I fully expect Ash to win. And I don't have a problem with Ash winning per se, my problem is that he doesn't deserve that win. The only reason he even advanced so far is because he won two out of his three battles either thanks to some stupid gags or because the plot demanded he should win, leading to his Pokémon defeating its opponent via some kind of contrived plot device. And, based on Fujisaku's track record, I fully expect Ash to win, not thanks to his outstanding skill or incredible strategies or hard work, but by being given some kind of OP power-up(s) right before he's about to loose, thus making his win undeserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom