• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM144: Alola's Strongest Z! Kapu-Kokeko VS Pikachu!!

Another fantastic episode to conclude the battle between Ash vs Kakui. Even though Ash's Nagandel lost to Tapu Koko to me it still put up a great fight against it. But Pikachu vs Tapu Koko on the other hand was amazing and insane. The animation was incredible especially with the Z move clash between Ash's 10 million volt move against Kakui's Guardian de Alola. The fight was fantastic and great way to end the Alola League arc. Overall another amazing episode, I'm looking forward to watching SM145 this week and how it goes.

Overall Episode Rating: A+

Something that's still bothering me, and I noticed only one other guy (not counting me in my review) pointed it out is Delia's behavior at the end.

The moment the match wraps up... she, Mimey and Oak are getting ready to leave with Oak asking Burnet to give Ash their regards. Like wtf Delia? Why wouldn't you stay and give him your own regards, not to mention stay for a celebration party of your own son winning the league?
And since Ash decides to return to Pallet in SM146 anyways, why not return together?

Last edited:
The moment the match wraps up, she, Mimey and Oak are getting ready to leave with Oak asking Burnet to give Ash his regards. Like wtf? Why wouldn't you stay and give him your own regards, not to mention stay for a celebration party of your own son winning the league?
And since Ash decides to return to Pallet in SM146 anyways, why not return together?

I'm surprised by that, lovely parenting from Delia, son has won the league, lets go home and not celebrate the victory

Unless she headed home early to contact friends (Brock, Misty, Tracey) and family for their own celebratory party

Unless she headed home early to contact friends (Brock, Misty, Tracey) and family for their own celebratory party
This would be a good excuse to not have to animate her/pay the seiyuu for the last 2 episodes, but she doesn’t even know that he’s planning to come home at this point!

Just think how much more sense it would have made if she at least said goodbye to him face to face and that had a role in him choosing to return home .etc. This was just nonsensical.

• picking up where we left off last week with Naganadel vs. Tapu-Koko...personally, I’m pulling for Ash so he doesn’t have to end this series on a loss
  • they wasted no time getting rid of Naganadel this episode, haha. Now it’s time for Pikachu to shine. Already some beautiful battle animation also...
  • The Tapus could definitely use some more practice on their vocals...
  • aw the montage of all of Ash’ adventures in Alola was really cute...sad that he’ll have to be leaving it soon ;(
  • Ash won omg he really won........it’s what I was expecting to happen, but it’s still kinda surreal that the writers let him win this battle on TOP of already winning the title of Alola champion...they really let him get a satisfying conclusion this series, and it’s really satisfying for me as a viewer as well lol
  • Ash resting on the ground while Pikachu returned his cap before laying on his chest....it was so nice to watch them be able to relax after finally coming to the end of this huge tournament where they accomplished so much together ;(

- as for next week...I’m not ready for this series to end and I might cry...

Something that's still bothering me, and I noticed only one other guy (not counting me in my review) pointed it out is Delia's behavior at the end.

The moment the match wraps up... she, Mimey and Oak are getting ready to leave with Oak asking Burnet to give Ash their regards. Like wtf Delia? Why wouldn't you stay and give him your own regards, not to mention stay for a celebration party of your own son winning the league?
Maybe she’s like Dawn’s mom and would rather him celebrate his wins and mourn his losses with his friends? Or maybe she’s like my mom and gets way too emotional:lapras: There’s always a chance that she rushed home to plan a party or tidy up the house or get Ash’s Pokémon ready for a “welcome home” ambush. All very unlikely but would explain why she left so abruptly. I agree she still should’ve stuck around to at least give him a hug and say goodbye though.

There’s always a chance that she rushed home to plan a party or tidy up the house or get Ash’s Pokémon ready for a “welcome home” ambush. All very unlikely but would explain why she left so abruptly. I agree she still should’ve stuck around to at least give him a hug and say goodbye though.

That's what I'm thinking though chances are, any celebrations at home will happen off-screen

I don't find it that surprising, sadly. She used his Orange League trophy as a weight.

Judging by the summary of SM146, it'll most likely be an open ending like DP and XY, so there's no celebration party at home... unless PM001 begins right away after SM146.
Rather unfortunate. It would be great to see his old Pokémon react to his win. I'm convinced there going to be a wild party at Oak's corral, even if they don't show it.
Ash is probably gonna get the glomping of a lifetime when he arrives, too.

So I was away at the weekend and am just getting the chance to sit down to watch and review the episode.

You know, I had the Alola League written off completely after Satoshi's 'loss' against Hau. I genuinely thought it couldn't recover (just to clarify, I am pissed off about how that was handled, but that's an argument for another thread) from that, so how the hell did it manage to become my favourite league arc in the anime?

In my opinion, the battle betwen Satoshi and Kakui is second only to Satoshi vs Shinji. This episode was 99.9% perfect; we knew Agoyon couldn't win going in, but at least she managed to get in some powerful hits (which was required since Pikachu wasn't going in fresh either) and didn't go down like a chump. But Pikachu vs Tapu Koko was just perfect. The animation was absolute first-class... we can see where the money saved from the heavy recycling (Team Rocket's den, Melmetal stretching and the Z-Move marathon) went for sure. Guardian of Alola was the Z-Move I was most hoping to see in animation form and it did not disappoint, being as utterly epic as I could have hoped. And after twenty years, Rica Matsumoto and Ikue Ohtani can still knock it out of the park when required.

You know what else I really appreciated about this battle which only occured to me in this episode? How everyone else's Pokemon were so energised in supporting Satoshi throughout this battle, I love little moments like that.

I suppose if I did have one minor complaint, it's that I would have liked to see more emotion from Satoshi's mom (that's the 0.01% that wasn't perfect)... it says something that Faba, a formerly evil scientist, was more emotionally invested in this match that the woman whose only son is competing against a pseudo-champion. And I would have liked to have seen cameos from Ilima, Acerola and the other league competitors during the audience shots. But other than that, yeah, a totally first class episode.

Maybe not, but then again, they never stated that it did not train in its homeworld at all.
It never trained before, why would it suddenly decide to training on itself?
If there's no proof of it NOT happening then it may have happened even if it's off-screen and that's my claim
Iris and Dent might be dead, there is no proof of them being alive, yet it wouldn't make sense to discuss something like that.

It never trained before, why would it suddenly decide to training on itself.

The proof that it trained is in the very fact that it evolved and its new moveset. How could it have learned Dragon Pulse, X-Scissor, Thunderbolt, and Sludge Bomb without ANY training?

And at the end of SM090, Naganadel said that Poipole wanted to stay in order to help protect their home. He’d need to be strong for that.

It literally didn't happen though.
In the show, yeah. But we have to assume it happened off-screen due to the evidence pointing to it.

... Yeah, it is annoying, and I hate myself for having to use that argument. But I engaged myself in this conversation, so I guess I have to participate. -_-
It never trained before, why would it suddenly decide to training on itself?
Because of need for potentiall defence of his homeworld?

(Beaten to it goddamit...)

I find it extremely ironic that some people hate SM so much, that they need to justify SM's bad writing to support their criticism of SM. Whatever, I already said whatever I suppose to say, agree to disagree, etc.

I find it extremely ironic that some people hate SM so much, that they need to justify SM's bad writing to support their criticism of SM. Whatever, I already said whatever I suppose to say, agree to disagree, etc.
On the contrary, I like SM. I do agree that off-screen events are bad writing, but they must have happened regardless or else some of the on-screen events don't make sense.

"I don't disagree with you.
... But you also clearly forged half of these. So..."

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom