• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM145: The Sun, the Moon, and Everyone's Dreams!

Bit late on this review, was busy yesterday and by the time the subbed version came out, I was too tired to watch it.

Pros:
  • The individual goals of every other companions range from okay to interesting, I thought that they wouldn't be emphasized on (especially that of Kiawe and Lillie) due to how rushed the school segment was. But thankfully, I was proven wrong right after that during the second segment where they're all given focus.
  • The battle was okay I guess, though I'm miffed that the writers went with Lycanroc for some reason instead of Incineroar. Re-used stock animation and all, I assume it was to show Ash being the strongest trainer in Alola and inherently having Ash (and Olivia) inspire Kiawe to his real goal.
  • Continuing off the above point Ash is still clueless on what to do before Olivia's words help him really decide on where his future journey will take him as well as dashing the hopes of people wanting the next series to be a reboot.
  • Lillie's attempts to awaken Magearna deserved more screen time and development, along with the rest of the Mohn plotline. Still, what we got of it in this episode really felt decent especially the baby Lillie walking scene and those family moments. It's a shame that it won't be continued at least any time soon and is an open ending for that arc.
Cons:
  • Extremely rushed first segment at Kukui's house with a convenient wormhole appearing overhead and Naganadel leaving within the first 2 minutes (not counting Intro and Poke Problems). I didn't even feel much sadness, even more so when you consider that Naganadel's purpose of returning was just to fill Ash's party and nothing more.
  • Extremely rushed school segment where everyone talks about their future plans, dreams and goals. I know that those points are explored later in the episode individually but that still doesn't make the school segment any less underwhelming.
Extra:
  • None of Ash's other Pokemon even reacted to Incineroar's evolution outside of Lycanroc, and even that wasn't done well.
  • I wonder if that intro scene with Ash at the beach being depressed will play out in the next episode.
  • Shame, Shaymin won't get a conclusion or even some sort of development like Mohn and Magearna.
  • Anyone can recognize which soundtrack from the games was used during the baby Lillie segment (or is it a custom one)?
  • As mentioned earlier by me, the next preview showing a family hug only makes Delia's sudden departure without meeting Ash in the last episode much more... I don't know, un-motherly?
Verdict: An average to okay episode at best that keeps quiet for most of the time, I'll give it 6.5/10. It would have been lower if not for the Pros points above.

I highly doubt it'll be Nebby who counts as the "encounter" from the blurb or the next episode's summary because it'll be flat out spoiling (not even from Oha Suta this time), it's too recent for something to be inspiring when tying into the next series and the fact that I doubt Solgaleo can do much to help Ash in the first place (if anything, it'll make leaving even more difficult for him). Hence, the encounter will be with Ho-oh.

I'm glad they got rid of Naganadel without any fanfare - a fitting end to an unfitting return

Once that's out of the way ,the episode was alright - a bit rushed in terms of the classmates just repeating what we already know

The end of the episode with Gladion and Lillie was very heartwarming

EH-NIddWoAENkE4.jpg

I think one of the only reasons I loved this episode was due to Ash's "I don't know what I want to do next with my life..." attitude. It seriously reminded me of college (undergrad and grad school). You see all of your other friends/classmates SURE about what their next steps in life will be. Whether they've already got a job/internship lined up, have gotten or are about to get engaged/married, etc. while you're still in a fog about what to do.

Especially, when your long-term goal was just accomplished. You feel empty because life isn't going to be scheduled anymore, that goal you worked so hard to achieve is done. What now?

The "traveling the world goal" despite Ash already traveling to MULTIPLE regions seems a bit bland and random. However, this is a WELCOME change from his usual post-league defeat shouting, "Pikachu and I will keep getting stronger and stronger and one day I'll be a Pokemon Master!" This was just as refreshing as the Scooby Gang NOT being called "meddling little kids."

I don't know what's more difficult:

-Figuring out what to do after accomplishing something that you've spent so much time, effort and energy into achieving
-Being told from a mentor/parental figure, "You'll have to figure it out for yourself..." after you've been given so much advice from them before

I guess it's my "adulthood" really making me connect with the 10-year-old the past couple of episodes haha

This episode confirms that Ash's priorities and goals were truly a mess this series:
-If he cared about the school and its lessons...Why he's ignoring the possibility of staying? He's giving a bad example by dropping out from the school. That could've been solved with a 5 minute graduation scene but nope, lazy worldbuilding around the school strikes again.
-If he cared about becoming stronger and obtaining titles...Why did he only mentioned the Island Challenge whenever it was convenient and wasn't worried that Alola never had a league?

The Lillie parts were just as cute and heartwarming as the previous ones. It's not the most satisfying conclusion but it's not a bad one either. We're still clueless about where Mohn is though.
Yeah the Naganadel farewell felt rushed, similar to his return. I would have preferred they used the machine from the UG-episodes to open a ultra wormhole the same way they did with other Ultra Beasts instead of a random wormhole appearing.
The animation in SM 140 made it seem like Naganadel could open wormholes on his own with his stinger, I'm surprised that they chose a random wormhole over a repetition of that.

Especially, when your long-term goal was just accomplished. You feel empty because life isn't going to be scheduled anymore, that goal you worked so hard to achieve is done. What now?
Stop with these stupid misconceptions. His goal is to be a Pokemon Master, not win a League... and winning one doesn't automatically make him a Master. His goal is not yet achieved but he's on the path to one with the recent arc's conclusion.

Stop with these stupid misconceptions. His goal is to be a Pokemon Master, not win a League... and winning one doesn't automatically make him a Master. His goal is not yet achieved but he's on the path to one with the recent arc's conclusion.
That’s true, but his main method of training to become a master has been through trying to win a league. It’s only natural that he’ll feel a little lost after achieving that.

The only thing i can think about is that Lycanroc was used against Charizard, is because Lycanroc was the only Pokemon of Ash that didn't use a Z-Move during the league (And Meltan doesn't count imo, since it was a new Pokemon). It didn't even get to use one during his battle against Midnight (Which i found a bit odd).

The only thing i can think about is that Lycanroc was used against Charizard, is because Lycanroc was the only Pokemon of Ash that didn't use a Z-Move during the league (And Meltan doesn't count imo, since it was a new Pokemon). It didn't even get to use one during his battle against Midnight (Which i found a bit odd).

Ash had used Breakneck Blitz with Pikachu to counter Zoroark's Never ending nightmare

I still wish Incineroar got some battle action

So, Ash has decided what to do next and preparation are being made for the big farewell-episode.
I have to admit that after all those intense league battles, it felt kind of strange to watch a pretty "normal" episode again.

A few thoughts on the plot:
After the Z-move clash I sure was worried for a couple of seconds if Ash's last battle would really end in a draw which would have left quite a bitter aftertaste if you ask me. But fortunately, Lycanrock got back on his feet!

Naganadel's departure felt rushed and I expected it to be more emotional since we mustn't forget how much it actually helped Ash in the league.

What was really emotional and heartwarming though, were Zoroark's memories which caused Lillie to cry and Magearna to wake up. I do hope they'll finally get to meet their father in the very last episode. Both Gladio and Lillie deserve it so much.

Well, it's finally time to say goodbye to Alola. It gets me a bit sentimental because the last third of the episodes was really awesome. But the prospect of Ash returning to Sinnoh during his "world tour" gets me really excited at the same time.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom