• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM146: Thank You, Alola! Respective Departures!!

But i loved Rotom Dex to death and i so wished it would be with Ash forever :cry::cry::cry:

especially since rotom is staying in dexes in future generations

Much better than last week, but still not perfect. I am however very happy with the final montage since I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.
Emotional moments for me had to be Burnet hugging Lusamine before she left, her hug Ash as he prepared to leave

I am a bit annoyed that Ulu just so happened to find Gracedia flowers to allow Shaymin to leave, they could have dedicated a special to it or something

Way too quick and other Shaymin just happened to be nearby at that time
It was certainly a shame that Shaymin didn't get a full scene to leave, but since it didn't really do anything other than exist since its arrival a low-key departure like that is rather fitting. I suspect they thought they were going to get a couple of special slots like they always do and had to quickly start wrapping up plots in the finale when they found out they weren't. Actually a real shame since I spent most of the last 3 years waiting for Mimo to meet Bonnie in what I thought was the obligatory 'last series companion meets current series companion' special only to find out I'm getting some live-action talking head clipshow instead. They wouldn't have dubbed it anyway, but it does remind me that the lack of Mimo in this episode means that in the dub she will just disappear mid-league with no explanation never to be seen again since the PokeProblem segment where she left League Island won't be dubbed.

Anyway I got off-topic, but long story short this was for the most part a good finale, if a bit more rushed than it should have been.

Okay, I really need some subtitles to make sense of this episode. Mimkyu getting over its hating of Pikachu after a rushed battle that led to it needing saving? Nebby appearing out of nowhere? Rotom suddenly joining the Aether Foundation? Ash leaving all of his Alolan Pokémon behind?! Shaymin changing into its Sky Form after Ulu just so happens to find a Gracidea Flower? And did the TRio just leave their Z-Power Ring behind? Why? Just...why?! Why do all of these things happen?!

I seriously need some proper context for half of the things that happen in this episode. And there better be some good explanations for why some of the stuff that happens in this episode happened.

I definitely need to rewatch the episode with subtitles to help understand things better

Was nice to see Nebby appear, prove that it hasn't been forgotten about

Probably did what James did, leave it with his Pokemon

From what I've seen, he still had it on his wrist, either when he was at the airport or in the car on his way to the airport. So, thankfully, he gets to keep it.

My bad

Felt very emotional saying goodbye to Team Rocket and their team, I do wonder what Giovanni said to them

They knew they'd have to leave eventually

That felt a bit rushed. To be honest I'd love it if Ash kept his Alola Pokemon at Oaks.
Then again he can always contact Kukui.

I gotta watch the episode in subbed to understand it fully but from what I saw it was a nice ending to Ash’s story in Alola...

Kukui and Burnet are having a child, nice!

So Ash left his Alolan Pokémon with Kukui, not really a big deal.. He’s always been a considerate trainer and I believe that he did it for the sake of his Pokémon’s comfort.

Now Rowlet can visit its family whenever it feels like, Ash’s Incineroar can fight with Kukui’s when they want to.. Lycanroc seemed pretty relaxed as well!

Besides he will be back in Alola with Gō and if he ever needs to recall one of them, he can get Professor Kukui to send the necessary pokeball to Oak’s and then he sends it to Ash.. Technology rocks huh?!

The other farewells were a bit rushed but I was slightly disappointed that we didn’t see Ash back in Pallet Town with his mom and him being welcomed back home..

Instead of wasting one of the earlier episodes on useless filler, make this a 2 parter so we can really have a proper goodbye, we could’ve seen Tapu Koko as well

It was also nice seeing Hau, Guzma and even Rotom live their lives and see that they’re doing so well, hopefully they also make a return during the new series..

Team Rocket’s farewell was well executed and I felt sorry for their Pokémon especially Marenie cuz I assumed it wanted to be with James forever, guess they left at night so they wouldn’t be heartbroken

At least they’re happy living in the forest with Bewear.. Much better than being locked up at HQ doing nothing, I wonder what the TRio will do now since the twerp is going on a world tour?

overall I give it a B+

I was having a blast with this anime. I know that Sun and Moon wasn't something for everyone, but this anime really was more about Family, emotions, and companionship rather than an anime who just wanted to show some fanservice. And to be honest it really succeeds in my eyes in that part. That is really an element that they should carry into the next series. Allowing human characters to have more than just one emotion.

Alola, Sun and Moon. It was a great time! I will really miss these characters. Especially Kukui and Burnet.

As for my episode review:

This was a good ending... but I don't know. Something about it felt a little bit rushed as well, like if they had maybe done the whole Magearna thing a lot earlier then they would have had plenty of time to get the goodbye-related stuff prepared for the two-parter.

Also not a single shot of Ash going back to Pallet Town?
I was actually watching this live and once the commercials came up I was thinking "Wait, that's it? What gives? I thought every region ending required something related to Ash's home!"

Certainly looks that way, this has to be the first confirmed pregnancy on Pokemon

For the anime but certainly not the first time in official media.

RocketShipping.png

The Electric Tale of Pikachu beat that with our favorite Team Rocket Trio. And around 20 years earlier or so based on the release date.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom