• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smart or Good Changes

Yotsuba

契約?
Reaction score
We have a thread highlighting bad changes to the anime, but what about good? And when I say changes here people, I'm not even just talking about "the writers did this" sort of stuff. Was there anything the dub actually did that you didn't mind? Even as a hardcore lover of the Japanese version, I'll even admit there were times I liked what the dub did better (or thought they made a much smarter move with the situation). So? Any takers?

For me, I have to mention the first mini movie. Back when this sucker hit theaters, original fans threw fits with the main feature (and for good reason), but I honestly never got the complaining over the mini movie. Sure if you saw the Japanese version you were accustomed to it, but come on now. Lets be honest. If you simply translated the dialogue of this short and showed it to some American ten-year-olds, do you really think they would've found it "cool"? A nice kind lady going "Hang in there!" and the music being sung by children and older people? Please, get real. Even as much as I love the childish Japanese music, I'm not going to lie. At the end of the day, Vitamin C just sounds WAY better and much less idiotic. Especially to a young American child...

Another change I liked (though it technically DID NOT need to be done) was the second movie theme. Yes they rewrote Lugia's song, but truthfully? I actually find myself loving the dub song much more. No the original doesn't suck, but I don't care. I'm not going to lie just to support "the flawless original". ._.

I think the way they reworded the legend in 2 worked better than the original. I mean, it's still cheesy, but in the original you have the islanders flipping out because Satoshi is a trainer...despite that he's *with* two trainers and I'd be willing to bet that most of the islanders AND their festival visitors also fall into that category. Heck, there's only one character we know for certain in the movie *isn't* a trainer and that's because he directly says so. Tobias or even Melody could have something stashed away someplace and they just didn't go get 'em.

I've always thought English Giovanni was so much more intimidating than his Japanese counterpart.

Oh yes, cuts everyone can agree with--snipping the repeated footage after commercial breaks.

Well, if this is solely about the things the dub has done better, I can't say much, because I just mostly watch the dub.

But from what I heard, the opening themes of the dub are, in my opinion, much more better than the original ones.

I also like the fact that they decided to cut the clip show-episodes, because this only airs once a week, and I'm not going to wait a full week just to see clips from episodes that I have already seen.

And I agree with you about Giovanni, but I'm not going to say why, because I don't want to get into that...

The dub made both Team Rocket and Harley funnier than the original at times.

About the only change I'm willing to give the dub a thumbs up for is the flute theme from Pokemon 2000, which I think is a lot prettier than the original tune.

Otherwise the dub can DIAF or something.

I do really like what 4Kids did with Team Rocket's dialouge. I also liked the pop culture references they use to make every once and a while.

I like how the dub throws in some references to other parts of the series that weren't there in the original. Ash mentioning Misty in Movie 6, Brock mentioning Prof. Ivy in Movie 7, James bringing up Jessebelle when they were in Lilycove and later mentioning Victreebel when he found Carnivine, and I think a couple of other times.

Having seen both, the Team Rocket schoolgirl scene in the St. Anne episode is waaaay funnier in the dub. CooOoOoOl!

Usually I hate dub-added shipping hints, but on the Christmas album, Ash's random reference to Oak being at their house in the middle of the night makes me laugh every time. The poor slob has no idea what's going on with his mom's friend...

I love the random references in character names, and I know the Japanese side does that too, but my absolute favorite has to be the bickering scientists from the Sudowoodo episode, Marie and Pierre. OH MY GOD I laughed so hard...and hardly anyone gets it! How can people not know who the Curies were?

Also and I know everyone gets sick of me talking about this guy so I'm going to put it under a cut
I love how they dubbed Jirarudan. His voice has the same distant tone as the original but without the strange booming quality (why would you take a VA known for a powerful voice and cast him as a guy whose idea of scintillating conversation is talking to his computer all day?), and his dialogue is brilliant. They knew they had to put in characterization details from his image song and the program book, and they did it wonderfully. And they even captured how he plays fast and loose with formalities, and most dubs don't think to do that unless it's extreme, which his isn't (it's rather subtle, but they captured it very nicely)

I like how the dub is spoken in a language I understand.

That would be in English instead of Japanese, wouldn't it? I never really understood what parts of dubs there really are, but they're always being discussed so I must learn about them.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom