• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smogon bans and suspect tests discussion

I expect the Therian version to follow soon...

I highly doubt it. Lando-T is far from broken

I though the same of the Incarnate version, given how underused it appeared to be, but look at it now.

Then again, I did just recently get back into pokemon and have no idea of OU's state. What caused Landorus-I to get banned int he first place?
Landorus-I hits really damn hard with Sheer Force + Life Orb, has good speed, and virtually had no counters. Pretty much an offensive powerhouse.

I expect the Therian version to follow soon...

I highly doubt it. Lando-T is far from broken

I though the same of the Incarnate version, given how underused it appeared to be, but look at it now.

Then again, I did just recently get back into pokemon and have no idea of OU's state. What caused Landorus-I to get banned int he first place?

Insane coverage and great power. Landorus-I had virtually no counters and very few checks bar faster Mons and priority users. Even then, Rock Polish sets could fix its average speed tier. Nothing switched in on it – it could 2HKO nearly the entire tier by running a combination of Earth Power, Sludge Wave, Knock Off/Psychic/Focus Blast and/or Hidden Power Ice/Fire. If it got an opportunity to attack, something on the opposing team was going to get KOed.

Therian form is nowhere near as powerful or over-centralizing as Incarnate. It only has a few sets and lots of Mons can switch in on it once you know what its running. Apples to Oranges.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:
Announcement - np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 5 - Run The Jewels | Smogon Forums

Well, I didn't think they would actually do it, but it's happening..

Sablenite and Shadow Tag are being suspected in OU

Regarding Mega Sableye, I can understand the qualms people have about it, although I don't think it should be banned. Shadow Tag is interesting because it has been the subject of heated debate for quite some time now, and it's been a while since they banned an ability. Regardless of the outcome, I'd say this is definitely going to be one of their more controversial decisions. As for voting, I'm not sure if I'll have time to ladder for this one.

Wow, so the Mega Sableye suspect test is finally here. I have been wanting this thing out of OU since Greninja was banned. Its ability to control the hazards game and spin block, combined with its typing, movepool, and immunity to many common stall breaking moves definitely makes it worthy of a suspect.

Shadow Tag on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. I consider trapping to be part of the game, regardless of skillfulness. I use a Gothitelle on my Mega Metagross team to break through stall easier, but it is dead weight versus most offensive Mons outside of weakening or killing opposing Manaphys and Starmies.

I would be in favor of either banning Mega Sableye and keeping Shadow Tag or implementing a complex ban where they can't be used on the same team, but I don't think either outcome is likely since on paper, Shadow Tag is the most uncompetitive component at play here.

Super interested in the outcome to this. Mostly so I can finally have @Neosquiddia; understand what it's like to have their favourite Mega and one of their favourite Pokemon banned to Ubers (rip Mawile :()

Best scenario for me would be both Goth and Mega Sab going upstairs just to see it happen :D

Super interested in the outcome to this. Mostly so I can finally have @Neosquiddia; understand what it's like to have their favourite Mega and one of their favourite Pokemon banned to Ubers (rip Mawile :()

Best scenario for me would be both Goth and Mega Sab going upstairs just to see it happen :D
you are a monster, sir

Sablenite
Ban: 99
Do Not Ban: 86
Ban % = 53.5%

Shadow Tag
Ban: 165
Do Not Ban: 20
Ban % = 89.2%

60% pro-ban majority is required for either to be banned, and neither's outcome will be changed by more votes. Thus, Sablenite remains in OU, while Shadow Tag is now banned.

Dammit I wanted @Neosquiddia; to suffer...

Oh well. I failed to make reqs by a narrow margin, but I wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I attained a 2690 COIL rating within the 75 game limit; a handful of games that came down to hax and dumb misplays on my part turned out to be the difference.

But I have to say, even though this isn't the result I initially wanted, I'm partially pleased with it. The suspect ladder was not fun to play IMO, mostly because of the large increase of hazards stacking teams that were being spammed due to the Sablenite ban.

Last edited:
Dammit I wanted @Neosquiddia; to suffer...
6af9d74b-a747-41d9-b1a0-a5bb6ac85b1c_zpsmyjgcj60.png~original

Crawdaunt seems kinda broken, I'm not happy about it dropping. I never played UU though, so hopefully we can find a defensive counter to it before it explodes all the stall teams in the tier.

About the Shadow Tag ban, I need to show you guys an 'endless fun' shadow tag team, hm? It just proves how annoying it can be. Just as the name implies, it takes the match to infinite turns. And it does not trigger the Endless Battle Clause. I will update the post with it.

I'm surprised it didn't have a suspect test to start with. Automatically allowing a 680 BST Pokemon who can hold an item didn't make much sense or fit with their standard treatment of similar Pokemon, even if there has been a power creep since Gen V with the introduction of Megas (and Kyurem-B had to have a test to be brought down last gen).

They didn't allow Reshiram, Zekrom, Kygore, Groudon, Giratina, Palkia, Lugia etc in OU this gen so I don't know why Hoopa was given different treatment. Because it had low defence and average Speed? Well clearly that didn't end up mattering since it's to Ubers with it now anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom