• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smogon bans and suspect tests discussion

Well....it would be a damn good April Fool's prank then because people are laddering with the intent of voting. Regardless, so far all im hearing is ban so either way it doesn't look good for Giratina-O.

I think it's pretty obviously a prank, since when does Smogon just suddenly take a complete 180 on their usual policy? If there's anything I know about Smogon it's that they're absolute sticklers for doing things by the book, this just isn't something they'd do.

Wait
Am I the only one who doesn't think this to be a joke

Giratina-O may be unhealthy in that it is centralizing, but it's sure as hell is nowhere near as bad as Greninja was in early ORAS and it's definitely not a Red Croissant-esque "win" button
I can definitely see where this unban idea is coming from (it really does check a crapton of borderline-borked things, namely MMeta and Lando-I, without being completely borked itself) and it's not unprecedented, either, Kyurem-B being a thing that exists
Giratina doesn't sweep teams by itself or wall everything while being impossible to wear down, as it has no recovery outside of Rest, and Dragon/Ghost typing, while having a bunch of useful resistances, also has key weaknesses to Dark and Fairy, so every well-built OU team has at least some way to deal with it even without having a dedicated Giratina check - mainly because Giratina is itself a blanket check to a bunch of stuff, the ultimate glue, rather than something to center a team around
I do think that Giratina-O is, at the end of the day, a bit too much for OU to handle, but I don't think it's a prank

I agree with the above post lol. I don't think its a prank or at least I hope not. I actually hit #1 on the ladder for a bit and put in time for once. Even though he has no reliable counter, wearing him down isn't too hard and so far I've seen two common sets. A defensive Defogger set and a mixed attacking one with Draco and Sneak/Force or other stuff. Lesser common ones are the SubCM set I'm using and the RestTalkCM set I only saw once. (Somebody was using Shadow Ball/WoW/RestTalk actually lol).

Scarfed Kyurem-B or LO even outspeeds and OHKOs after Rocks if i recall one of my defeats as well as Mega-Altaria's Hyper Voice or Return with Rocks and a bit of chip damage or +1. Then there's Tyranitar/Hippowdon with sand to wear him down along with Crunch if you lack appropriate coverage (hate that one) and Clefable who can do good things if he's lacking Iron Head. He's tough but not impossible. It's just the normal OU staples like MegaGross, Lando and Keldeo among many others are worthless to him too.

As long and as well as I've known Smogon - which admittedly isn't much in either respect - they've defined a "healthy" metagame as one which isn't overly centralized and is frequently updated with respect to teambuilding options. Letting Giratina-O into OU would be sacrificing the former for the latter. This is why the suspect test is raising so many eyebrows and why I personally am calling shenanigans.

Either way we won't have much longer to wait, it's April 1st tomorrow.

The amount of hiveminding by people who non-ironically thought that bringing Giratina-O to OU would be a good thing kind of worries me. If there's one thing I don't like about Smogon, it's how sycophantic the average user is when it comes to any suggestion made by veteran players.

From looking at the thread while there was certainly a lot of blind theorycrafting early on, once people started laddering they tended to see the error of their ways.

That's not to say that there isn't a problem with newer members naively accepting veterans' opinions (because there is) but I think there's also an element of sheer laziness that the OU Council also took advantage of in this case.

Aegislash being tested in ORAS OU

As we all remember one of the most controversial bannings of XY OU was Aegislash due to how small the gap between it being banned and staying OU was so slim, showing the importance of playing the suspect ladder and voting if you want a Pokemon to stay.

XY OU after Aegislash and Mega Mawile left was probably my favourite meta to play in and the highest I've ever gotten on the ladder (~1700/1750 iirc am proud ;_;) so I really don't like the idea of Aegislash coming back in theory because it limited so much, but I guess ORAS OU is very different to late XY OU (though I don't see how it's different enough that Aegislash would be worse).

I imagine a lot of people are going to vote based on whether they originally wanted it banned or not last year - some of those who feel spited that it was banned when they didn't want it to be will probably just vote it OU this time, regardless of how much they like the suspect ladder or the metagame that emerges with it and vice versa with those who wanted it gone.

So this test is largely just a re-vote more than ORAS OU suspect test imo.

Expect lots of mons to drop in viability if it does return though, which will suck. RIP Dragalge we barely knew ye. :(

expected, but i think its probably moreso to keep some pokemon in ou viable that would be in uu if aegi was back

Noivern and Reuniclus are also rip from RU Cobalion is next.

Lando deserved to go tho imo. Don't know enough about Victini to comment on that.

I expect the Therian version to follow soon...

I highly doubt it. Lando-T is far from broken

I though the same of the Incarnate version, given how underused it appeared to be, but look at it now.

Then again, I did just recently get back into pokemon and have no idea of OU's state. What caused Landorus-I to get banned int he first place?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom