• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smoliv Friend Club

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
A place to talk about the greenest, greatest olive friend: Smoliv.

1200px-Smoliv.png

• Staff
And as for me, allow me to present an essay on why Smoliv is the goodest friend.

Part 1: Chartreuse, the color I have not seen

1280px-Color_star-en_(tertiary_names).svg.png

By Kwamikagami - Own work based on: Color star-en (tertiary names)-ar.svg by باسم, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Color star-en (tertiary names).svg - Wikimedia Commons

Smoliv has an analogous color palette. That is to say, its major colors are all next to each other on the color wheel. Analogous color palettes create a sense of stability and harmony. They're also commonly found in nature. (1) Smoliv's color scheme of chartreuse, green, and yellow works very well to evoke plants, but it also helps to evoke a sense of friendliness. Smoliv is a good friend.

Part 2: Shape of Y(Sm)o(liv)u

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.25.27 PM.png

Image from the PDF linked in (2)

Another important part of character design is shape language. shapes evoke different emotions. Out of the three shapes used in shape language, two stand out for Smoliv: circles and triangles. Smoliv is mostly ovals and circles, which are harmless and friendly shapes. Triangles are sharp and dynamic. (2) Smoliv's round shapes show they're a friendly friend, but the sharper parts—like their feet and leaves—show that they're no pushover. They will fight for their friends.

Part 3: Enough character design, Torchic, let's talk about inspirations. Oh wait—

Olea_europaea_-_Köhler–s_Medizinal-Pflanzen-229.jpeg

Franz Eugen Köhler, Köhler's Medizinal-Pflanzen. Image is in the public domain.

Smoliv is based on the green olive. Simple enough, right? Wrong. Olives also have symbolism and importance and good stuff, dating all the way back to ancient Greece. The olive tree won Athena the favor of the Athenians. Olive branch wreaths, or κότινος (kótinos), were given as prizes for the winners of the original Olympic games. (3) From the Book of Genesis to Renaissance and Baroque art, the olive branch has also symbolized peace. (4) Not only is Smoliv a peaceful mon, but they will also ensure victory as you journey across paldea.

Part 4: Stuff I pulled from Bulbapedia and proceeded to overanalyze
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.04.24 PM.png

Screenshot of Smoliv's Bulbapedia page, taken by Torchic.

Smoliv (English, Italian, Spanish) is a combination of smol and olive. Why smol and not small? Well first of all, it's not spelled "alive"; that's a totally different word. Second of all, on the internet, smol is a corruption of small that denotes a certain level of smallness. It's silly. It's friendly. It's wholesome.

Minību (Japanese) comes from ミニ (mini) and オリーブ (orību) Minibeu (Korean) comes from mini and 올리브 (ollibeu, olive). Mínǐfú (Mandarin Chinese) and Màihnéihfùh (Cantonese Chinese) are both transcriptions of Minību which also contain 迷你 (mínǐ) and 迷你 (màihnéih), respectively, which both mean "mini". Olivini (French) comes from olive and mini. This mean Minību is literally a mini olive, smaller than a regular olive.

Olini (German), similarly, comes from olive and mini, but it also contains öl, meaning oil. Olive oil is an extremely healthy food (5), which suggests that Smoliv is also extremely healthy—not to eat. Smoliv's oil isn't for consumption. It's special oil sent from the gods to give them victory and peace and great pulls in Pokémon Masters.

Smoliv is sturdy, able to go a week without food or water. They gather nutrients through photosynthesis, further cementing the fact that Smoliv is a plant and therefore very friend. They also like sunbathing, and they can help you get some sunlight and Vitamin D by teaching you the ways of sunlight and photosynthesis.

Lastly, we must bring up Smoliv's ability: Early Bird. (6) This friend wakes up with the sun. This friend has a routine. This friend will help you get a good start to your day. This friend will help you get nutrients and sunlight and friendship and happiness.

Part 5: My elementary school teacher screams at my use of "In conclusion"

I swear my elementary school teacher told us not to use phrases like "as you can see" and "in conclusion" in our conclusion paragraphs. Source: trust me (citation needed)

In conclusion, Smoliv is the goodest friend. That's the essay.

Did we seriously not have a Smoliv thread yet?

Even after the trailer yesterday I still think Smoliv is my favorite out of the totally new mons. (Paldean Wooper gives it a run for its money though) You can keep your memorable Lechonks and even Fidoughs, I’m cool with Olive boi :)

My favorite new Pokemon so far. I just hope its evolutions are just as wholesome and doesn't end up a waifumon like Tsareena

Excluding starters and legends, Smoliv has been my favorite new Pokemon introduced thus far (though Paldean Wooper has definitely threatened to take that spot). Idk what happened but lately I've just been loving the food 'mons. Cherubi? Cute. Bounsweet? Adorable. Smoliv? Absolute precious bean. He's just a little guy. Not to mention I love Pokemon whose expressions just scream anxiety. Like that's a big mood little guy. And Smoliv is just the embodiment of "don't mess with me, I will cry."

I love all the little 'walking head' plant pokemon. THis one is no exception. This one is, however, extremely baby.

We must protect it at all costs. places it in a front baby harness pack thingy THE CHILD IS SAFE.

I dislike eating olives, therefore the child is even more safe with me.

...Swear to Giratina if its shiny is not a black olive I will throw hands with gamefreak.

Aw, hes just a little guy. very small. like an olive. i would use some smoliv oil on my pasta. with his permission, that is. very good. 10/10 would use in the kitchen (as a cooking assistant, he looks so versatile).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom