• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sneaking on the DexNav!

カイリュー

Reaction score
Hopefully theres not a thread for this already!

Here's a thread to discuss the new sneak function in ORAS.

I actually have a bit of a question, what does it mean when you get all red exclamation marks? Like red exclamation marks on every part of the dexnav notification, even in the middle of the little hourglass thing? I got this for a poochyena but it ran away before I could get close enough to figure out why it was so special. Anyone figure this out yet?

I love it. Well mainly for the fact that we can finally get Pokemon with special moves. For far too long have we seen time and time again in the anime Pokemon who have access to moves not originally in their level-up move-set.

So you could imagine my delight when I found a Poochyena with Ice Fang and a Seedot with Beat Up. Wild Pokemon with Egg Moves should have been a staple years ago!

Hopefully theres not a thread for this already!

Here's a thread to discuss the new sneak function in ORAS.

I actually have a bit of a question, what does it mean when you get all red exclamation marks? Like red exclamation marks on every part of the dexnav notification, even in the middle of the little hourglass thing? I got this for a poochyena but it ran away before I could get close enough to figure out why it was so special. Anyone figure this out yet?

"all"?

As far as I noticed, one exclamation mark is in case of an egg move; another is in case of an abnormal level for the zone (like level 13 in a zone of lv2-5 pokémon). I met a Pokémon holding an uncommon item, but I'm not sure if it had an exclamation mark for it.

The ability to get and identify Pokémon with 0-3 perfect IVs, hidden abilities, egg moves, and their items is just simply perfect. This is honestly one of the best features ever introduced in the games. For the exclamation points, I think those are to point out unusual features of the pokémon, like if it has hidden ability, it is unusually highly leveled, it has egg moves, etc. I don't know if they also can tell if it's a shiny or not, but they do, you missed out on QUITE the catch.

I love this feature. It is a big component of why I am not as far as I expected to be. I always stop to check when the radar has the exclamation point. My latest catch is a level 40 Pelipper with Brine holding a lucky egg. That was very "lucky".

I love this feature! I noticed if you click on a previously seen Pokemon, it will locate one near you. I'm not sure if it's just me but I notice that I encounter rare Pokemon a lot easier, I also found a shiny Wurmple on route 102 which is very lucky for me. One of the best parts of Dexnav is you get the little bronze/gold crown when you catch every Pokemon on the route.

I think this is one of those features that almost everyone loves. It's pretty addictive and makes wild encounters exciting; you never know just what could be thrashing about in that patch of grass, and the abnormals that pop out always manage to surprise me. I mean, near-perfect IV's, 15 levels higher than everything else, and a powerful egg move to go along with it? Awesome!

It kinda reminds me of the anime, actually. Being able to approach the Pokemon (as opposed to letting the RNG throw a random one at you), being able to scan it before the fight, and then the Pokemon itself has overpowered moves it shouldn't normally know at that level, or is just so overleveled that it gives your team a thrashing.

It's a nice feature, and it can be amusing. When my brother just started the game with me yesterday, on route 103 he Dexnav'd a Brave Bird Tailow. It's a good feature, although I do end up messing myself up on the sneak and ruin the approach.

I think this is one of those features that almost everyone loves. It's pretty addictive and makes wild encounters exciting; you never know just what could be thrashing about in that patch of grass, and the abnormals that pop out always manage to surprise me. I mean, near-perfect IV's, 15 levels higher than everything else, and a powerful egg move to go along with it? Awesome!

It kinda reminds me of the anime, actually. Being able to approach the Pokemon (as opposed to letting the RNG throw a random one at you), being able to scan it before the fight, and then the Pokemon itself has overpowered moves it shouldn't normally know at that level, or is just so overleveled that it gives your team a thrashing.

It's also like the anime in the sense that you see the outline of the Pokemon and get to guess who it is just like "Who's That Pokemon"!

I absolutely love being able to see the ability on Pokemon before starting a battle now. The only way the DexNav could be better is if it showed Pokemon genders.

This feature is very addicting. I sometimes spend up to an hour trying to chain it. Successful captures/faints often boost my chances of seeing a rare egg move, hidden ability, boosted level, etc. Anything notable is marked with a red !.

Using Sweet Scent & horde battles increase the search level of that particular species. Even with a search level of 80, I didn't seem to find good egg moves. It was only when chaining the detector mode that I found better Pokemon.

Overall, it encourages me to catch everything in the area. Alas, I'm doing a nuzlocke run so I can't use the additional captures.

I agree completely (like Dawn's Buneary's Ice Beam anyone?), which makes me love it that much more. It alos makes the wild Pokemon feel that much more special.

Waiting for a Steel Wing or Brave Bird Taillow XD

I hope they keep this feature in future installments, please. Just like Amie seems to be a new staple, I hope to for Dex Naving.

Oh my God I'm in love with the DexNav. I'm intentionally catching/soft-resetting for Pokemon with ideal Natures for their species to turn my in-game team into a competitive team later on, and I'm currently looking for an Impish or Bold Skarmory, and instead of relying on the 5% appearance rate like in the past, I can press "Search" in the DexNav and have one automatically appear in a shaking patch of grass with new moves, higher levels closer to my team (in the high 20's range instead of the 16-18 range in a route).

It's like they mixed the PokeRadar of Gen 4 with the phenomena of Gen 5, along with a few original additions. Wish there was something like this in XY.

Oh my God I'm in love with the DexNav. I'm intentionally catching/soft-resetting for Pokemon with ideal Natures for their species to turn my in-game team into a competitive team later on, and I'm currently looking for an Impish or Bold Skarmory, and instead of relying on the 5% appearance rate like in the past, I can press "Search" in the DexNav and have one automatically appear in a shaking patch of grass with new moves, higher levels closer to my team (in the high 20's range instead of the 16-18 range in a route).

Can you reset EVs?

Can you reset EVs?

Yeah with the EV berries. I just have to get them from the daily giveaways with the berry people. So far I have one for Attack EVs and I'm planting it to multiply it.

Waiting for a Steel Wing or Brave Bird Taillow XD

I hope they keep this feature in future installments, please. Just like Amie seems to be a new staple, I hope to for Dex Naving.
I caught me one of those, the Steel Wing Taillow. Haven't found a Brave Bird one yet but I'll keep looking. And I do hope that Dex Naving is kept, as it's a lot of fun. I love getting Pokemon with rare moves, though I fear I may fill my PC if this keeps up. I already have three Taillow that I caught via sneaking. :lol:

This feature is way too addicting. I've caught countless Pokemon with it. It makes the phrase "Gotta catch 'em all!" mean something again. Not only that, as others have stated, because it gives you a glimpse of what the possible moves, items, IVs, and Levels are, it gives you a good idea of what you're catching, very similar to the anime where they just scan the Mon before doing anything. It also makes extremely hard-to-find Pokemon almost ridiculously easy to find, such as Ralts, Skarmory, Skitty, Slakoth, and others. Plus it's a lot of fun sneaking up on them, though I still have yet to master the Surf-sneak, but that'll come in time. But, yeah, this is one of the best features they've put into a Pokemon game, no doubt. I hope it comes back in later games, as that would be awesome.

Yeah, this is the best feature they have added in years. Ran into a level 15 Wingull that almost decimated my team.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom