• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sneaking on the DexNav!

The exclamation mark, from what I gathered, is used to signify a pokemon with a significantly higher level then the other ones found in the area.

To use DexNav to search for certain pokemon, first you need to at lease capture the pokemon first. Then click the sprite of the pokemon on your DexNav to search for it.

It's happen sometimes, that the pokemon that you are looking is not available. I usually just steps on the area or went to other area till the DexNav automatically detect a pokemon, if the pokemon is the pokemo. That I want, I will sneak for it. If not, I just walk fast near it and search manually by click the pokemon sprite again on DexNav.

Also, you can get in to a building to soft reset the DexNav too..

For those looking for shinies, I've found a shiny lotad and a shiny makuhita with pretty low DexNav chains (<10).. those were my only shinies so far. Can't say if the odds are really increased, but I've never been this lucky before.

I'm having fun chaining Absols. I found one holding a Life Orb - this should save my BPs :D I'm trying to find one with Play Rough as the egg move and hopefully, a shiny

I'm holding off until I can buy Max Repels before I start chaining. But Having experimented with the thing early on, it seems like a good feature for shiny hunting. I didn't like not being able to search for pokemon I hadn't already caught though, so I downloaded my entire living pokedex so I could just search whenever I go to a route.

...it's not cheating, it's just using the radar to your advantage :p

I don't know how to use the DexNav either. When it's on in the bottom screen I can see silhouettes of which Pokemon I can find in that area and that's about it. How do I unlock all these other bits of info? Sneaking is fun for a while but whenever I sneak up on a Pokemon it doesn't appear to be anymore 'special' than a regular one of its kind. What am I missing?

1 - When you hear a Pokemon cry in the wild and the exclamation shows up, touch it and start sneaking over to wherever you see a silhouette in tall grass.
2 - The more you successfully sneak up on a type of Pokemon, the higher your Search Level becomes. Higher levels allow you to see things like high potential (IVs), high level, or rare (egg) moves. If it's something unusual then that detail will display a ! as you're sneaking up on it.

I love this feature more and more. All my Pokes were level 37 and I kept encountering level 27 Absol. Once I got to around search level 5, I encountered a level 37 Absol with Super Luck, a Life Orb and One Star. It put up a tough fight but thankfully I caught it.

I wasn't too bothered by them leaving character customization out of ORAS, but if DexNav isn't in every game from now on I'll be ready to riot! LOL.

Btw, has anyone had any luck yet in the Desert on Route 111? Supposedly, it works there to, but so far nothing has happened for me yet...

I only constantly encounter Sandshrew. Everywhere (like I've seen two wild Baltoy and a Trapinch, that's it)

I really don't get how to use DexNav in caves. Any tips? It always says it can't locate a pokemon in, for example, Dewford Cave.

EDIT: Also, how do I solve the issue where EVERY pokemon in the area can't be found via the radar? It's really annoying me.

Last edited:
@Dieter; The DexNav will only work in the desert and caves once you get Surf, which will also unlock Surf sneaking and such. So once you get Surf, then the DexNav can be used to hunt down anything. However, even so, you won't always track something down right away. I spent a goodly amount of time hunting for a good Numel in Fiery Path via DexNav, but not every search came up with something. You just have to be persistent.
@lugia61617; Caves are a bit different than grass. It's similar to the swirling dust feature back in Gen V, only it keeps changing positions. Even when you get a "lock" on it, if you're not quick, it'll shift to another nearby spot and if it goes on too long, it'll run away. The idea remains the same: use the DexNav to search for a certain Mon, it may or may not appear right away, but when it does, you have only a little time to track it down and encounter it before it bolts. Caves and the desert are more likely to run than grass for some reason, so you do have to be quicker than normal. But it works the same way as tall grass, just with the changing locations bit thrown in.

@Dieter; The DexNav will only work in the desert and caves once you get Surf, which will also unlock Surf sneaking and such. So once you get Surf, then the DexNav can be used to hunt down anything. However, even so, you won't always track something down right away. I spent a goodly amount of time hunting for a good Numel in Fiery Path via DexNav, but not every search came up with something. You just have to be persistent.
@lugia61617; Caves are a bit different than grass. It's similar to the swirling dust feature back in Gen V, only it keeps changing positions. Even when you get a "lock" on it, if you're not quick, it'll shift to another nearby spot and if it goes on too long, it'll run away. The idea remains the same: use the DexNav to search for a certain Mon, it may or may not appear right away, but when it does, you have only a little time to track it down and encounter it before it bolts. Caves and the desert are more likely to run than grass for some reason, so you do have to be quicker than normal. But it works the same way as tall grass, just with the changing locations bit thrown in.

Thanks. That's pretty useful information, I'll be sure to put it to good use!

Wait, what?
@Dieter; The DexNav will only work in the desert and caves once you get Surf,
. . . I can only use Dexnav in caves after getting SURF.
SURF.
. . . Excuse me, I need to go yell at my 3DS again in the vague hope that my ravings about logical game design might somehow reach Game Freak.

Thanks! That's def good to know! (nonetheless, I'll prolly look around in the Desert a bit more, cause I literally encountered a grand total of one Trapinch out of 30 encounters or so...)

Bit annoying, cause it means I'll have to go back later for my Trapinch :(

And you gotta be pretty persistent at times XD It took me like, 4 or 5 hours to find my Ralts (cause I wanted a female one with an egg move, any egg move, a decent nature and at least one perfect IV. Did also get me a shiny zigzagoon and an at least three perfect IV male ralts though...) Still I adore the feature, cause hunting for Pokémon is one of my fave things to do

Wait, what?
SURF.
. . . Excuse me, I need to go yell at my 3DS again in the vague hope that my ravings about logical game design might somehow reach Game Freak.

You don't need surf to use DexNav in caves, unless you're looking for pokemon in the water.
I only have 2 badges, and have found lots of pokemon in Granite Cave.

Oh my God I'm in love with the DexNav. I'm intentionally catching/soft-resetting for Pokemon with ideal Natures for their species to turn my in-game team into a competitive team later on, and I'm currently looking for an Impish or Bold Skarmory, and instead of relying on the 5% appearance rate like in the past, I can press "Search" in the DexNav and have one automatically appear in a shaking patch of grass with new moves, higher levels closer to my team (in the high 20's range instead of the 16-18 range in a route).

Can you reset EVs?

or just get a reset bag in AT

Wait, what?
SURF.

You don't need surf to use DexNav in caves, unless you're looking for pokemon in the water.
I only have 2 badges, and have found lots of pokemon in Granite Cave.

EXGShadow is right, I used DexNav to catch my Aron right after I got the Mach Bike.

There is one area of the desert that's easiest, below the sandpit that is just above the giant rock on the south end that's surrounded by rocks. Keep going back and forth to where TM Sandstorm is then back to that area before each search.

In general the DexNav is easiest to use for search when you have a large area to run through and back before the search.

After getting the national dex (not that I needed it), I realised how useless the Dexnav is most of the time, unable to find pokemon even when I first enter or have checked every area. Mt Pyre was especially annoying when I was looking for an Elgyem and Growlithe, since it always turned up empty.

As some of us know, Pokemon encountered via DexNav have a greater chance of being shiny than Pokémon encountered through other methods.

But according to this guy, "chaining" does not increase the chance of getting a Shiny after every successful encounter; it is a constant percentage that is applied to any DexNav encounter. That's why some people didn't encounter a shiny until DexNav Encounter #160 something while others got a Shiny on their first encounter at Search Level 0.

All DexNav chaining does is increase your opportunity to obtain Pokémon with better egg moves and stats.

I just caught a level 15 Taillow with Boomburst in Petalburg Woods! I wasn't planning on having one of these guys on my team, but now I may have to reconsider. What a great move!

I love that thing. But it leads to me capturing different mons of the same species, because I don't want to pass on the good ones if I have a chance to get them. I won't train all of them, but I could use them for breeding, I guess. Still, the thing is addicting...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom