• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So...current thoughts on Serena?

Reaction score
Just curious on how everyone feels about Serena at this point. Is she developing nicely, or do you find her character to be bland? Do you feel okay with the lack of battles/capturing she has done? What do you see for her in the way of future development? When do you expect Fennekin to have an actual battle?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that during her travels with Satoshi she finds out what she wants to do with her life. I also hope that her feelings for Satoshi don't define her character. The XY series is just starting out so we don't know how exactly they'll flesh out the characters if at all, but I really hope Serena gets a lot of focus. She has plenty of potential to be a great character.

I enjoy her, so far. She hasn't done "too much," but she interests me, and I am not bored with her. I like that we're still not necessarily sure what Serena goals entails. She also gets bonus points for having genuinely enjoyable interactions with her companions. I still think the scene with Serena and Bonnie cuddling up in bed together in "Subdue Miare Gym! Citron's Secret!!" is one of the most adorable scenes ever featured in the anime, and it reminded me how rare female friendships are within the show.

I really like Serena, and I am definitely looking forward to XY. Shaping up to entrance me the same way Advanced Generation did!

So far, so good.

She's not as bland as Dawn, but not as over-the-top (and obnoxious) as Iris either. She's walking the middle ground like Kanto Misty and May did. I also actually like that she doesn't have a goal yet. Gives her a chance to grow and experience different things to find herself like a good character should.

And while her crush on Ash will be for naught, it's still a nice, interesting touch.

I like her so far, I just wish she had more episodes centered around her to make a better opinion.

Not sure if i even have formed opinion about Serena character yet. It passed only 13 episodes of XY saga overall and she didn't had proper debut until 5th episode of Kalos region being in cast for 9 episodes.

So whatever ill say in here is not my final judgment and opinion about character simply lacing much material and background for proper analysis.

As of now im neutral toward character. She does have relatively interesting characterization varying between rude, abit bratty behavior as evidenced in interactions with Grace, high interest in fashion, clothes etc along with shy, kinda reclusive and reserved approach. Especially toward her new companions and Ash.

So far i enjoyed best in her interactions with Bonny looking after her like big sister. While Bonnie seeing in Serena some sort of protector, older figure she can run into producing pretty sweet and interesting dynamic so far. That moment when sleeping together in bed was definitely admiring making me wish writers went with format of 2 girls in main cast a lot earlier.

I guess i also find whole implication of Serena not getting goal soon going through process of selfsearching not being sure where she see herself and what she wants to become also opens potential for some genuine and feasible growth. Though its kinda disappointing me how her only pokemon Fennekin still didn't had proper battle with Serena herself seeming passive being barely involved in episode plots(although i liked how she left macarons on road as clues to help Ash and co to find her and Bonnie or coming up with idea how to catch thiefs). Or what appears to be lacking spirit and motivation to be more proactive and involved within action(more than it was case with any main girl so far). Which makes her different working in her favor, but also against it depending on whether such reservation would be used from writer side as template through which Serena will have to resolve learning how to be more selfsufficient and determined.
Eventually finding her own purpose, something which push her forward and fulfills needs as person.

Because as much as her crush on Ash may seem cute and interesting for some to watch, in show like pokemon which lacks intricate plot and enough substance to deal with more mature themes like this, it isn't enough for someone to grow forward and add on his storytelling. For same reason romance angle between May and Drew or Misty feelings for Ash were never dived into deeper, with most of their role focusing on dreams, battling, personal flaws and bringing fluid, spicy interacting in cast.

So with that thought in mind im hoping that writers will use Serena current hesitation and lack of interest as vector toward some unique, unused way for development. With journey through Kalos serving as test to gain her own identity and desire to succeed in something as character, trying out various things, going through some sort of struggling in realizing at what shes truly good at and where is her place in this world.

With help of friends, her pokemon and various ventures she goes through contributing in molding her as person and helping to gain suibstance, ambitions she wants to achieve eventually. After all many of us aren't sure at beginning what we want to become, often even when we find something to occupy our intention believing how its our calling can at certain point of life change mind completely abandoning previous job and starting whole new career altogether.

Sounding like viable and pretty realistic way to make good use of Serena during her time on cast.

So far im ok with Serena character. She doesn't entertain me like May or Misty did but shes decent so far and provided some good moments.

It's still very early days, so I don't think anyone can make any justifiable judgment on her character yet. There's a lot we still don't know, but it's the same with Clement and Bonnie as well.

What we do have is enough information to make us interested. She has no discernible goal yet, other than to hang around with Ash, but we've seen that she's knowledgeable about Rhyhorn racing, fashion and baking and can wonder how she will apply those talents. That she is still unsure about what to do with herself is something that hasn't been done on the show before, and if they play it right it could be a compelling story-line. It'd certainly be one I could relate to.

It remains to be seen whether her blatant romantic interest in Ash will be a serious part of her character development or not. Personally, I hope not, because I don't trust this show to handle a romantic subplot correctly and don't wish for Serena to end up being defined as "the girl that had a thing for Ash" come the end of the series. They haven't been subtle about it at all, what with all the flashbacks and her sole motivation to leave home being to meet Ash again, so I'm a little concerned.

As for Fennekin, it'll receive its focus in due time. It took a few episodes before May and Dawn had their first battles in the series, and I can't imagine they'll just ignore Serena and Fennekin. Giving her the opportunities to battle may be difficult due to her not having a goal yet, but I'm sure she'll have a few.

As someone that's also clueless about what to do in life, just like her, I kind of understand and hope that this problem of her is solved soon and with nice development (and mine too, lel). Also, as much as I don't want her crush on Satoshi to define her character, I also don't want it to be just another running gag.

Bonus point for Serena remembering me of Serana, from The Elder Scrolls V, because Serana is so goddamn cute.

She's a really great charachter, but we haven't seen enough of her. I mean like she's always standing in the backround and being silent. I hope she finds something to do soon, and catches more Pokémon. Her little crush on Ash is cute, too.

I actually don’t have an issue with Serena not having a goal because I think simply trying to find one is a nice change of pace considering every other main heroine already knew what she wanted to do (Misty, Dawn, Iris) or figured it out quickly (May). As long as the show writes that aspect of the character competently, I wouldn’t mind if Serena didn’t know what it was she wanted to do until the end of the series - thus setting up her inevitable departure from the show. Another reason I don’t mind her not having a goal is that, unless it’s a token-collecting quest (and Ash has already cornered that market thanks to the lack of Contests), then Serena’s goal probably wouldn’t get a lot of focus, anyway.

What’s going to make or break Serena for me is her characterization and the way she interacts with the group. So far, I like her. She’s only gotten one focus episode but she’s prominent enough in some of the other episodes that don’t entirely focus on her (XY006, XY008, XY010-XY012) that she doesn’t fade into the background, either (this seems to be a strength of the XY series as a whole, actually. The main characters don’t fade into the background, not even in episodes that don’t focus on them, and yet don’t become annoying in the process). I like her dynamic with Bonnie. People have already mentioned their scene in XY009, and the two of them doing the Rocket motto in the next episode seems, to me, to be one of the series’ early highlights. I’d also be lying if I said I didn’t think her interaction with Ash is cute, too. While I agree that shouldn’t become Serena’s defining characteristic (and I really don’t think it will be. This is Pokemon.), it’s a fun aspect to her and it stands out from Ash's other dynamics with past heroines.

Overall, while I think I enjoy the other three members of the cast more, Serena’s fine with me so far. I do hope to see another focus episode for her soon, though.

I can't really say that much as of now, but I am enjoying her so far. She's kinda refreshing after 3 years of Iris and I do think Serena is interesting as a character. I love the interactions she has with the rest of the group and I hope that the writers will really flesh out her character as time goes on. I'm hoping also that they'll give her an actual goal that will give her some focus.

I think Serena is really sweet. I have enjoyed her interactions with Ash and Bonnie. The whole suspense about her goal is something new and interesting, and I wonder what the writers have got planned in store for her. Her crush on Ash is really adorable.
But I think her character needs more focus. She should catch a few more pokemon, and maybe use Fennekin in more battles. And I would love it if she showed her stubborn, bratty personality (the way she was behaving with Grace, lol) towards Ash.
But still it's too early to say anything, and I am sure that Serena will definitely evolve into a great character in the future episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's entertaining me, but I'd like if she started to focus more on Pokemon.

After seeing Serena's performance on these recent Episodes, I am not very impressed with her Character Development. I'm sure the Writers have something for her since she did want to go with Ash on this journey. Otherwise, what's the point of having a main character that doesn't do anything?

Yeah, Serena does admittedly feel very mediocre as of yet. I did sort of love her at first, but that was just complete bias from side due to her seemingly having a crush on Ash, but as the series has moved on I've kinda found her personality and contribution to the episodes to be rather... bland, and non-existent. Interacting with others, such as Bonnie, she can be very entertaining, but as stand-alone character I barely even notice her.

Now I know that it's still much too early to judge, but I'm really getting impatient with seeing what her goal will become, I think that pretty much will determine whether I'll be able to like her or not. I was fine about waiting until May and Iris' goals would be revealed, but that was because the both of them were able to entertain me and keep me interested in their characters without it as they both very really fun and exuded so much personality - Serena really isn't doing that.

I'm looking forward to see more episodes focusing on her and her potential goal though, and I definitely think she has the potential of developing into a great character, but right now she's the one that I care for the least in the XY group.

I am not at all worried about Serena's character development.

The writers have already foreshadowed Serena having goals and passion for something later in the series when they made it so obvious that Rhyhorn riding wasn't her true calling in the beginning.

After seeing Serena's performance on these recent Episodes, I am not very impressed with her Character Development. I'm sure the Writers have something for her since she did want to go with Ash on this journey. Otherwise, what's the point of having a main character that doesn't do anything?

This i agree with. She's sorta not clicking with me either. I hope they give something for her to do.

She's mediocre. She's been with Ash only for like, what, uh, 8 episodes to my knowledge...and she hasn't even really done anything. I guess it's okay since it took her until episode seven to travel with Ash, but really, I want her to catch her first Pokemon already or something. Also, I agree that her goal is taking too long--I mean, even though I hate Dawn with a burning passion, at least she knew her goal the day of her journey. If she doesn't figure out what she wants to do with her journey by episode 30 (I doubt it'll take her that long, but) I'll probably give up on Serena as a character.

Personality wise. Her personality is okay. Doesn't shine to me as much as Misty's. She's kind of, sort of better in May in personality, and so much better than Dawn, whom had the worst personality same with Iris, I guess. I'll give Serena's personality a chance, though. Really.

Also, I wish she'd at least send out her Fennekin more--it's like it doesn't exist. She should--it only knows Ember and to be honest, I want to see more of her Fennekin--really. Maybe it's too early for that because she has no goal yet. I just hope it doesn't take her the whole first season of X/Y to figure it out, really.

So I'm mixed with her.

She's all right so far. I enjoy her chemistry with everyone else in the group, but I do need to see what her goal turns out to be and how that gets handled before I can truly judge her.

But all the same, I am okay that she hasn't figured out what she wants to do on her journey yet to keep us guessing - I just hope it's all done well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom