• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So...current thoughts on Serena?

She had so much potential at first in my opinion, but she's become shipping fodder. I still like her and I hope that she gets a goal that doesn't revolve around Ash in any way, but I'm so cynical about Serena's character at the moment tbh. My faith in her needs to be restored.

After seeing Serena's performance on these recent Episodes, I am not very impressed with her Character Development. I'm sure the Writers have something for her since she did want to go with Ash on this journey. Otherwise, what's the point of having a main character that doesn't do anything?

This i agree with. She's sorta not clicking with me either. I hope they give something for her to do.

In the XY games, what other side events can you do? Something like how Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald & Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have Pokemon Contests? Considering how the Anime reflects the games, they could give Serena something from the Game at least.

There's pretty much nothing - trying to increase your 'style' and collecting different rollerblading tricks in Lumiose City is about all. Indeed just about all the extra plot elements are based around just doing stuff in Lumiose.

Rhyhorn racing and Pokemon Dancing are mentioned in the game's plot but never shown and not playable. There's trying to rank up in nobility at the Battle Maison, but that's hardly something you could build a goal around, though I hope Serena does take an interest in that so she has some battles with regularity in some context as she's not challenging the Gyms.

I'm half expecting she won't find a goal until just before leaving Ash at the end of the region, the other half is on there being an abused Rhyhorn that she catches and starts trying to train to get over a fear of racing brought on by the prior treatment.

At the moment I'm not worried - I'm happy enough to see each of the Pokemon being given individual personalities and the group chemistry so far. Depends how the next 20 episodes go.

She's a little bland to me right now but it's still very early into the series to fully judge. I honestly hate when a character is only thrown in just to be a love interest, so Serena gives off those vibes to me due to her history with Ash being the main thing about her at the moment. Hopefully she decides on a goal soon. I know it took May a few episodes to find a goal then then again by this point May had also caught a second pokemon, and even Dawn did as well. I'm sure they'll give her something to do soon so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My thoughts on Serena? So far...

- She's a girl.
- She wears a hat.
- She has long hair.
- She has Pokemon.
- She and Ash met in a way that is so generic to anime that Tenchi Muyo made fun of it back in 1992.

Now if we can just get a character out of her we'll be all set.

Serena is an interesting character considering that we don't really know what she's going to do. Personality-wise, I like how she's similar to May and Dawn, two of my favorite female companions in the anime. She hasn't done much so far, though at times, she had her shining moments such as when she took the initiative in XY012. I am okay with the slow pace of her development considering that XY seems to be more in line with AG and DP, length-wise. However, this is also dangerous as Serena may fall into the background and her development becomes inconsistent, which really plagued Iris's development in BW. I hope that within the next 20 episodes, Serena will have found or at least, be actively looking for goal.

She has potential to be terrible and potential to be awesome. I'm just keeping an open mind at the moment.

I don't mind the amourshipping plot. Considering contestshipping is in this anime, I think that there is a chance that it could work. That's not to say it will do of course. Just that there's a chance.

I doubt that they won't be giving Serena a plot in the future. That's just the feeling that I get. I just hope that they make her interesting.

So far, I'm loving her interaction with Eureka though. I also like the way that she started off by stalking Satashi. So far she's shown herself to be a pretty good foil.

I want to like here. I really do, but she just isn't doing anything. If they have more episodes like the Rhyhorn race were she is understanding more of the world then I could really like her, but right now she doesn't have anything going for her.

I think with the limited major episodes featuring development for her, it's very hard to tell at this point how she is as a companion. I do like how she seems to be the cook this time, and will be deciding soon as to what she'll be pursuing as a goal. Her interactions with both Ash and Bonnie have been pretty good so far I think, especially in the Rhyhorn Racing episode and hunter episode. I also like the dramatic side that she has shown as well.

I do hope she starts interacting more with her Fennekin soon and use it more in battle, it's been limited thus far.

I think Serena is a really nice character, she's a bit shy and withdrawn unlike the other companions which is really refreshing. Her lack of goal and the way it isn't used in every episode makes her feel more real. A lot of people don't have a particular dream to follow and sometimes, finding that dream is the journey. I'm excited to find out how she grows through the series, even her team is a mystery. ^^

Just curious on how everyone feels about Serena at this point. Is she developing nicely, or do you find her character to be bland? Do you feel okay with the lack of battles/capturing she has done? What do you see for her in the way of future development? When do you expect Fennekin to have an actual battle?
I'm enjoying Serena so far. Her character is interesting enough to keep me intrigued, and reminds me of a bit of a shyer version of May (who also had to figure out what it was she actually wanted to do with her life). I like that they're keeping her searching for a dream for now (though I hope she finds one - or even two that she's considering or something - within the next 10 or so episodes).

Serena hasn't done much of anything yet. It seems that Serena only started her journey because she found out Ash was in Kalos. All Serena needed to roam out on her own was a pokemon that could protect her from danger.

Unlike the other female characters, Serena wasn't internally motivated to go on a journey (even Iris decided to go on her journey to raise her Axew, and she followed Ash because she found out Zekrom interacted with him).

As far as we know, Serena still hasn't decided on what she wants to do on this journey. I think XY008 was the last time Serena's decision was ever brought up.

837739564.jpg

SatoSere. it's cute but I think it needs to do more in the show to deserve the SatoSere part.

Serena has been dissapointing but Fennekin/Fokko has been way more dissapointing untiln now. I know there's a problem with Fennekin.

Last edited:
Shes alright... I always get her name mixed up with sabrina though. I also have two friends named Sabrina and Serina.

Ehh...

I like Serena, but she's definitely the most useless of the XY group thus far. The not-knowing-what-you-want-to-do thing could be cool, but they already (admittedly, half-assed) it with Haruka. In addition, Fokko is probably the most useless group Pokemon at this point. Horubee, Yayakoma, and Dedenne at least do things occasionally.

I do like the little quirks they're giving her. The not-liking camping thing was fun, as was the "doesn't know when to shut up" thing from Nyasper's episode. I think Serena is good, but definitely isn't being used to the fullest.

Personally, i'm on the fence with her;

On one hand, it is a nice change of pace to have a female companion that didn't get off the wrong foot with Ash at first and actually does show signs of being compatible with him.

But on the other hand, as many have said, unless she gets a defining goal of her own, she's kind of bland. Also, her crush on Ash does sort of torpedo any ideas i had for Pokeshipping (since, like i said, she seems more compatible with him than Misty)

Except the SatoKasu part, I agree with the content of the last two posts.

This is mainly an large opinion post. In it, I will give my impression of her after Pokemon Fan as released and what I expect of her. I think this si the right thread to post this.

I like the fact that she's doing a PR Video (PokeVision) to promote the games. I think Serena is the best character to do it. I ike that there will be dress up. I know that in XY they love fanservice and they want to abuse it. But I have one big problem: Serena as a character.

We are in XY21: Imagining that Serena is underwhelming until that episode. Even the shipping part has given focus lately.

Is not normal that Serena hasn't caught a pokemon or attempt to catch one; hasn't even got a battle except one quickly battle with Team Rocketlike a CotD. It's not normal that her only pokemon only knows Ember as for now (unlike the rest of the cast). When you have cases likein the recent episodes (watch them or search pictures on Filb and you notice the lack of screentime of Fennekin).

Last edited:
I don't know if I should repost what I posted in the Episode 6 review thread. My feelings are mostly there.

But they're basically that I just hope Serena doesn't get any preferential/specific treatment that Ash's other traveling companions didn't get. In-universe, or from the writers. But I'm wary, because she apparently knew Ash before anyone, and when that happens with characters, it usually means that character is special compared to all the others. I feel like it's a little presumptuous and even cheap for Serena to get to be special, what about all of Ash's history? Does that mean nothing now just because Serena gets written in with "Well I knew him first, so I'm special..."?

That was actually more thorough than what I posted in the Episode 6 thread. Just needed to put that on the table.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom