• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So do you think making Piplup into a second mascot was a good idea?

What did you think of Piplup?

• Total voters
Piplup was annoying tbh, i hope the Gen V starter won't be shoved down our throat like piplup was.

Prinplup got the least screentime of all the forms. Especially now that Kenny also has Empoleon.

Prinplup got the least screentime of all the forms. Especially now that Kenny also has Empoleon.

Well... yeah... it's a fat penguin. It lacks the cute-sells-a-lot-of-plush-toys thing that Piplup has and the will-rock-your-socks-off factor that Empoleon has...

What's your point ?

Well... yeah... it's a fat penguin. It lacks the cute-sells-a-lot-of-plush-toys thing that Piplup has and the will-rock-your-socks-off factor that Empoleon has...

What's your point ?

How is Prinplup not marketable? Its basically the same as what Combusken was.

Kenny's Prinplup should have appeared a lot.

It did... It appeared in every ep Kenny appeared
DP26-27 - had rivalry with Pip, stolen by the TRio, battle against Ash's Pika, battle in Contest VS Dawn's Pip
DP60-61 - helped fight the Unown, participated at the Contest and had a battle with Jessie's Dustox
DP122-123 - Prinplup stolen by the TRio, Prinplup participated at the Contest and had a battle with Ambipom (and actually won the ribbon for Kenny)
Prinplup also usually appeared in Kenny's cameos like winning a ribbon on TV in DP55
So yeah, you randomly complain for no reason
Prinplup got pretty good screen time
We also saw a random character's one for a few seconds in DP4 if you count it... it wasn't much, but it introduced Prinplup to us very early in the DP series

How is Prinplup not marketable? Its basically the same as what Combusken was.

If the writers wanted to make it cool and badass like Combusken or Grovlye was, they would have. They must not have liked that, so the middle forms this whole saga have been pretty lackluster. :/

I actually didn't care, but I started to kind of like Piplup as a mascot. Its personality tended to annoy me at parts.

I was mostly neutral but I liked Pip most of the time. I like him even more now that Gible's here.

The whole 'mascot' thing is annoying in general imo, since all it really does is lead to the over-exposure of a single character that, money-makin' aside, doesn't really need to be.

This, because it seems it's not Piplup that people hate, it's the concept of a mascot. Before it came along, Pika alone got all the flack for being ever-present, leading to it being both the most popular and the most hated pokemon. Now that Piplup shares that role, it got the hate as well. I've already said that it's ineptitude is part of it's personality, which is why I decided to look at Piplup in another light. He's just a well constructed character, and the fact that he does invoke the same response you would have for anyone as arrogant as he is shows he was well written. That is why I cannot hate it for that. (And believe me, Piplup has made me facepalm many times) Does that mean there is at least some hate from me? Not really. I don't particularly favor it that much, either. As for there being two mascots, it was a fresh idea, I suppose that's good. It was definitely a new experience. Would I like to see it again? I suppose so, as long as they make it as interesting as they did this time.

How can Piplup's personality be annoying? Arrogance is the funniest personality one can possibly have, mainly because when the person in question fails, its more funny.

How can Piplup's personality be annoying? Arrogance is the funniest personality one can possibly have, mainly because when the person in question fails, its more funny.

This. Seriously, what I always found funny about Piplup is that it tried so damn hard to be perfect and sometimes just fails, but always in a funny way.

Piplup is in the Top 5 funniest Pokemon, with Psyduck being #1, Croagunk #2, Pikachu #3, Piplup #4, and Munchlax #5.

I think!!! I love Piplup, it was awesome!

This. Seriously, what I always found funny about Piplup is that it tried so damn hard to be perfect and sometimes just fails, but always in a funny way.

haha So true. Dawn had to keep him in line a number of times aswell. I just loved it when Piplup always thinks he's right and then the look on his face when he turns out to be wrong. Like in the episode with Marill and Elekid where he led them down the wrong route, the look on his face was hilarious!

Since when is Piplup the second mascot? It's just the 4th generation mascot.

Sure, it's on the Pokemon Store logo..But so are Charmander, Eeevee, Munchlax, Treeko, Mudkip, Chikorita, Squirtle, Meowth, Torchic and Totodile.

I honestly like Piplup's..Just not anime!Dawn's.

Since when is Piplup the second mascot? It's just the 4th generation mascot.

Sure, it's on the Pokemon Store logo..But so are Charmander, Eeevee, Munchlax, Treeko, Mudkip, Chikorita, Squirtle, Meowth, Torchic and Totodile.

I honestly like Piplup's..Just not anime!Dawn's.

What are you talking about? Piplup was the equal mascot of the DP series together with Pikachu...

What are you talking about? Piplup was the equal mascot of the DP series together with Pikachu...

Pikachu is the series mascot. Piplup is Gen 4's mascot. Like Pichu Togepi was for Gen 2 and Mudkip Torchic/Munchlax for gen 3.

Pikachu is the series mascot. Piplup is Gen 4's mascot. Like Pichu Togepi was for Gen 2 and Mudkip Torchic/Munchlax for gen 3.

Pichu barely got any screen time in the anime... Togepi was just part of Misty's outfit 90% of the time... Hoenn starters didn't get nearly as much as Pip.... Munch never really got any important role on the anime - it was just one of May's Poké (and both Combusken and Squirtle completely overshadowed it in BF)

Yes, Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokémon franchise as a whole... but I'm talking about the DP series - in this series Ash and Dawn are equal stars while Pikachu and Piplup are equal mascots

Pichu is arguably the mascot of GSC and eventually HGSS. Most likely Togepi though due to the anime. Gen 3 really has no mascot however we're safe to assume it's either one due to the anime (and Special, for Torchic).

Well Pikachu is a main character and never in a Pokeball so of course it's going to appear all the time and be a mascot. No Pokemon will surpass it.

Well Pikachu is a main character

Piplup is a main character too

and never in a Pokeball

Piplup is out of ball and appear every ep since DP60

No Pokemon will surpass it.

I never said Pip surpassed it... being equal =/= surpass

I also don't get what are you talking about... I didn't talk about games and I also don't think the Poké you listed were mascots for these games... it's more the Poké on the box of the games + starters that are the "mascots" of every generation
But I'm talking about the anime - and specifically about the DP series... where Ash and Dawn star as equals and Pika/Pip are showcased as equal mascots

Pichu barely got any screen time in the anime... Togepi was just part of Misty's outfit 90% of the time... Hoenn starters didn't get nearly as much as Pip.... Munch never really got any important role on the anime - it was just one of May's Poké (and both Combusken and Squirtle completely overshadowed it in BF)

Yes, Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokémon franchise as a whole... but I'm talking about the DP series - in this series Ash and Dawn are equal stars while Pikachu and Piplup are equal mascots

They still were the mascots of their respectitive gens. Not enough focus from animé doesn't change much. For the start, the egg you get at the beginning of Gen 2 games is Togepi and there is a Torchic wallpaper in Diamond/Pearl.

Still not enough but I'm pretty sure you can find other examples such as other ads. Though considering the focus Pichu got during HG/SS release, I think it is safe to say Pichu is Gen 2's mascot.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom