• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Sprites?

Will they do away with sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

Not really, Masuda explained how much he preferred sprites as art, so the only thing that'll be in 3D models is the environment.

Ok so I'm not the only one who read that. Like said above me the most we're going to get are 3d environments. i like the sprite art and I think the 3d models should be kept to system games.

Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

I don't mind either way, but I voted yes anyway because I hope they can pull that off because I think it would look great with 3D sprites. However I don't mind if they stick with the sprites they have now, so let's just wait and see ^^.

Okay, just going to throw this out there:

Why Wasn’t ‘Pokemon Black’ And ‘White’ Made For 3DS And Why Are Pokemon Still 2D?

"One of the reasons for sticking with the 2D Pokemon images is, with the 2D, it really depends on who draws it. There's a lot of personality that's drawn from the 2D images, whereas with 3D, it's the same model used for everything, so the personality doesn't really come out. One of the reasons we've stuck with 2D is to get a more individual feel with it."

He went on to say that they aren't ruling out the possibility of 3D Pokemon in future releases and that it's a conscious decision made at the start of every project.

Emphasis mine. Now that Masuda quote is put into context and it's no longer usable as an argument that they will never use 3D models for Pokemon ever.

The sprites have a certain charm the 3D models will never have. They make the experience of playing the Pokemon games special, and set the main series games apart from their Wii/GameCube/64 counterparts. And basically everything else on the market.

The sprites show a universal familiarity people have with the Pokemon games. They're so simple, yet very fun. An abrupt transition to 3D models is a bad move.

I don't think Gen VI should see a complete change from sprites to 3D model. A first step that way when Gen VI comes yes. But not entirely go that way. How GF could do this is beyond me. But I think changing the style to much could alienate people.

Why not? As people have said sprites aren;t praticle... it takes way to much time to draw. 3D models are easier to do and since the 3DS has PS2 level graphics they have no reason [I said:
not[/I] to... I think Gen V will be the last Gen with sprites.The Handhealds are slowly catching up to the consoles in terms of graphics... Hell the next system (4DS?) might even be on par with the PS3/Xbox360

I just don't see it. Pokemon has been using sprites forever(except on consoles of course). Sure, they could easily change that, but I just don't think so.

The sprites have a certain charm the 3D models will never have. They make the experience of playing the Pokemon games special, and set the main series games apart from their Wii/GameCube/64 counterparts. And basically everything else on the market.

The sprites show a universal familiarity people have with the Pokemon games. They're so simple, yet very fun. An abrupt transition to 3D models is a bad move.

I don't think Gen VI should see a complete change from sprites to 3D model. A first step that way when Gen VI comes yes. But not entirely go that way. How GF could do this is beyond me. But I think changing the style to much could alienate people.

I'm not sure about you, but I would say that Colo/XD were among my favorite games and even surpassed some of the handheld games. Personally, I don't see how they consider them 'lifeless' as 3D models; take a look at Ludicolo in those games, I find that entertaining and full of life. I can see how some of them look lifeless, but give them some new animations then(fool around with older models) and they should be fine.

I'm not saying sprites are bad, but, imo, this could really change things for the better the sooner they are able to get it out nicely. I am still playing pretty much every main game regularly anyways, so it's not like I still can't see sprites. I would love to see main games in the style of Colo/XD with a free overworld and such.

Why not? As people have said sprites aren;t praticle... it takes way to much time to draw. 3D models are easier to do and since the 3DS has PS2 level graphics they have no reason [I said:
not[/I] to... I think Gen V will be the last Gen with sprites.The Handhealds are slowly catching up to the consoles in terms of graphics... Hell the next system (4DS?) might even be on par with the PS3/Xbox360

I just don't see it. Pokemon has been using sprites forever(except on consoles of course). Sure, they could easily change that, but I just don't think so.

Look up at Pomegranate's post.

I'm not sure about you, but I would say that Colo/XD were among my favorite games and even surpassed some of the handheld games. Personally, I don't see how they consider them 'lifeless' as 3D models; take a look at Ludicolo in those games, I find that entertaining and full of life. I can see how some of them look lifeless, but give them some new animations then(fool around with older models) and they should be fine.

I'm not saying sprites are bad, but, imo, this could really change things for the better the sooner they are able to get it out nicely. I am still playing pretty much every main game regularly anyways, so it's not like I still can't see sprites. I would love to see main games in the style of Colo/XD with a free overworld and such.

I've been playing Colo lately, and it isn't horrible, I personally enjoy alot. I think I should've made myself more clear when I said sprites set the main series games from their 64/Wii/GC counterparts. That in turn also make those games special. That's why it's always fun to play with the TV, the 3D made for a different unique expirience.

But eh, that could all be going to hell this generation as there are no signs of a Stadium equivalent.

They used sprites because none of the handhelds were powerful enough to do anything else... The 3DS is equal to the to the NGC and the PS2 they have no reason to still use sprites it's time to move on... and honestly the sprites aren't that good in V the look blurry... they are good but it's time to move on they can't use sprites forever

I've been playing Colo lately, and it isn't horrible, I personally enjoy alot. I think I should've made myself more clear when I said sprites set the main series games from their 64/Wii/GC counterparts. That in turn also make those games special. That's why it's always fun to play with the TV, the 3D made for a different unique expirience.

But eh, that could all be going to hell this generation as there are no signs of a Stadium equivalent.

Well I see your point, because it did have a unique feel playing a main-like game on the TV, with the 3D and all, but I would love to have the chance to play something like that on the go as well(which is what I was trying to say I guess, ha).

I admittedly don't care that much; either way would be nice. However, I believe that they would certainly have to switch sometime, so why not soon? I doubt they'd implement it for Gray, but the beginning of Gen 6 sounds like the perfect opportunity. They wouldn't change consoles in the middle of a generation, meaning that Gen 6 will be on the 3DS, although Gray probably will not. When they move to the 3DS, chances are the 3D models will take over.

I hope so! Maybe not in Grey, but 6 generation should be in full 3d. When 4th generation was still around, I prefered playing PBR online as opposed to Wi-Fi / PO just because battles felt so much more dynamic.

As much as I'd like to see that happen, I'm not sure. It seems practical with the 3D, and it would be amazing if it did happen. More 3D Oshawotts! In the words of Elesa: "I'm tingling all over!".

What's this talk about a Gray Version? Did I miss something? I thought that Black2 and White2 were being made instead of having a 3rd game.

Anyway, on-topic, no, I don't think that they'll completely get rid of sprites. They have no reason to. They had the ability to make the game in full 3D as early as Diamond / Pearl, yet they didn't do it then... so why should they now? But you know, they have already switched to 3D models for most of the buildings and stuff, so you never know. I'd prefer sprites, but 3D models would save them a lot of work considering there'll be like over 700 or 800 Pokémon to sprite by the next generation.

What's this talk about a Gray Version? Did I miss something? I thought that Black2 and White2 were being made instead of having a 3rd game.

Anyway, on-topic, no, I don't think that they'll completely get rid of sprites. They have no reason to. They had the ability to make the game in full 3D as early as Diamond / Pearl, yet they didn't do it then... so why should they now? But you know, they have already switched to 3D models for most of the buildings and stuff, so you never know. I'd prefer sprites, but 3D models would save them a lot of work considering there'll be like over 700 or 800 Pokémon to sprite by the next generation.

I made this threat long before B/W 2 were revelaed lol

I think they will use higher quality sprites and not 3D models for the pokemon. Despite the fact that a 3DS card ranges between 1 and 8 GB versus the regular DS card's 64MB and 4 GB, I just think the games having 3D models for all 649 plus another 100+ Gen VI pokemon would take up too much space. I'd rather see that extra space be used on aditional content.

Last edited:

I was very doubtful that we would receive 3D models in Generation VI...until I played Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS. Yes it's a port of a PlayStation 2 game - but it still plays perfectly. The locations and maps are very intricate; so much so that it would not surprise me if we see a Colosseum-style over-world next generation.

As for 3D models for the Pokémon; while we have Pokédex 3D Pro coming out as a mere downloadable title, what will really determine it for me is whether or not the 3D models (which are all included when you buy the game) are stored in the game's usual data or as extra data (like Pokémon obtained over SpotPass in the original Pokédex 3D were).

I don't like 3D that much.
I am big big sucker for 2D and sprite art, probably because I grew up playing Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo games.

On other hand, I think changing the sprites for 3D art would be a good thing to the franchise.
Battles a la Pokémon Stadium with the actual graphic technology would be fantastic!

But I am talking about the battles and only the battles. The overall gameplay has to be 2D as usual, with better sprites of course. A good example is the last released The King of Fighters game, they kept the sprites, but improved A LOT the quality of it.

I wish they would. I'm not sure they will.

Stylized 3D graphics would be my personal preference. Think DBZ Budokai.

really now, guys, 3D models are immpossible as of the number of pokemon in gen V already, i mean, they have to have 700+ models of all the pokemon, and another 700+ for the shinies and alt. formes, that would be somewhere around sevral GIGABYTES of data alone for models, not to mention the attack animations, stat data, music, maps, items and character models, and fitting that into a 3DS cartridge. no way, not without hogging every crevice of your 3DS's SD card's storage. so i really dont think GF would do that. note, there is probably not going to be a pokemon grey so i would not suggest the use the name. as we know it, black and white 2 are gray because it focuses on kyurem, the third counterpart of the black and white mascotts, and it is a updated story release in technical terms.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom