• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Sprites?

Will they do away with sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

@Silver06; It would be possible, actually. The overworld being made up of enhanced pseudo-3D environments would allow the use of 3D models in-battle.

(Also, I don't know where you're pulling 700+ from, when there are 649 Pokemon. 649 Pokemon models, shiny color palette swaps, attack animations, etc would be manageable on a 3DS cartridge; not to mention if they release cartridges with improved memory capabilities, as they did with the DS.)

Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

He has a point and I also don't think that the 3DS can handle both battles and overworld in 3D.

The first games on 3DS will most likely be from Generation VI, so yeah, there will be more than 700 Pokémon.

Last edited:

I has a point and I also don't think that the 3DS can handle both battles and overworld in 3D.

The first games on 3DS will most likely be from Generation VI, so yeah, there will be more than 700 Pokémon.

It would be possible, actually. The overworld being made up of enhanced pseudo-3D environments would allow the use of 3D models in-battle.

Maybe you'll read what I had said, this time.

And, your other point is only valid when it's revealed that there will be new Pokemon included in the next generation (saying of course, there is one, which I'm sure there will be). For now, however, there are not 700+ Pokemon; so the number provided has no basis.

2D =/= Pseudo 3D, have this in mind.
They should keep the 2D overworld we all know pretty well and only change the visual of the battles, from sprite art to 3D.

And yes, there is a basis for the provided number. It is safe to assume that they will release a new generation and they obviously won't give us 30 or 50 new Pokémon only. It is just common sense, you know?! And I meant "He" in the first "I" on my post, by the way.

2D =/= Pseudo 3D, have this in mind.
They should keep the 2D overworld we all know pretty well and only change the visual of the battles, from sprite art to 3D.

And yes, there is a basis for the provided number. It is safe to assume that they will release a new generation and they obviously won't give us 30 or 50 new Pokémon only. It is just common sense, you know?! And I meant "He" in the first "I" on my post, by the way.

2.5D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first bulletin is present in Black and White, which have 2D overworlds that feature objects that have been given the illusion of being 3D. It's not a stretch to think that trend may continue in the sixth generation, and that it would be enhanced. :3

And, common sense isn't always accurate. Pokemon Grey is about to come out, right?

@Kaustic; i'm pulling the 700+ from the fact that the 3DS pokemon games are going to be Gen IV, as Mantiz said, because GF cant just switch between DS and 3DS in the middle of a generation, it would make it impossible to communicate between the DS games and 3DS games because of the software differances. also pokemon grey hasnt even been mentioned by GF and its most likley that there will not be one because as i said, B&W2 are focused around kyurem, and really now, if grey WAS made, it would be boring because it would also be centerd around kyurem, and also, storyline issues, if you, the player character were to catch kyurem for the final battle, N would have to have possession of BOTH ZEKROM AND RESHIRAM, and that would just be a game breaker on his part, and a storyline breaker as he would automaticly have the ability to carry out his plan of seperating people and pokemon.
@Mantiz; the games are 2.5D because all the enviroments are 3D and the characters are sprites.

Pokédex 3D Pro will have rather high quality 3D models for all 649 Pokémon (plus alternate forms) and is a downloadable title. As all Pokémon will be available from the start, I highly doubt that the majority of them will be stored as Extra Data (as was the case with Pokémon received via SpotPass in the original Pokédex 3D).

Now, how much Extra Data did that take up? Well, just to explain things, I currently have an 8GB SD card in my console and I've used up about 4GB of that. Out of what is remaining, I have 21,627 blocks left. Pokédex 3D's extra data takes up 568 blocks (the game itself takes up 179 blocks) - and as I have all the Pokémon available in the first Pokédex 3D, that is the full amount.

Nintendo 3DS game cartridges typically have around 1GB-4GB of storage, but have been confirmed to be able to go up to 8GB - the average Wii disc holds 4.7-8.54GB. Also, you have to consider that hardly games use the full storage capabilities of the cartridges/discs (Pokémon Battle Revolution only uses 1.24GBs, for example).

So I'd say it's highly possible to see full 3D models in Gen VI.

Last edited:

Pokédex 3D Pro will have rather high quality 3D models for all 649 Pokémon (plus alternate forms) and is a downloadable title. As all Pokémon will be available from the start, I highly doubt that the majority of them will be stored as Extra Data (as was the case with Pokémon received via SpotPass in the original Pokédex 3D).

Now, how much Extra Data did that take up? Well, just to explain things, I currently have an 8GB SD card in my console and I've used up about 4GB of that. Out of what is remaining, I have 21,627 blocks left. Pokédex 3D's extra data takes up 568 blocks (the game itself takes up 179 blocks) - and as I have all the Pokémon available in the first Pokédex 3D, that is the full amount.

Nintendo 3DS game cartridges typically have around 1GB-4GB of storage, but have been confirmed to be able to go up to 8GB - the average Wii disc holds 4.7-8.54GB. Also, you have to consider that hardly games use the full storage capabilities of the cartridges/discs (Pokémon Battle Revolution only uses 1.24GBs, for example).

I wanted to respond to that post earlier, but I couldn't find anything regarding PBR's space usage. None of the current Pokemon games fill up as much as what current DS cartridges can hold. And 3DS cartridges can range from 2 - 8 GB. If PBR uses less than 2 GB, then any future Pokemon game can use full 3D models with space to spare. Even assuming that you have twice the Pokemon and twice the moves, it's not even going to stretch the limits of what Game Freak is able to store.

Hopefully we don't get the Pokedex 3D models though. Masuda keeps talking about how he likes to use sprites because "they're artistic". He should take a page from the Legend of Zelda, and see how artistic 3D models can be. I would love a Pokemon game that uses cell-shading like Skyward Sword. The Pokemon themselves don't look that bad using the Pokedex 3D models, I'm worried about the humans.

I wanted to respond to that post earlier, but I couldn't find anything regarding PBR's space usage. None of the current Pokemon games fill up as much as what current DS cartridges can hold. And 3DS cartridges can range from 2 - 8 GB. If PBR uses less than 2 GB, then any future Pokemon game can use full 3D models with space to spare. Even assuming that you have twice the Pokemon and twice the moves, it's not even going to stretch the limits of what Game Freak is able to store.

Hopefully we don't get the Pokedex 3D models though. Masuda keeps talking about how he likes to use sprites because "they're artistic". He should take a page from the Legend of Zelda, and see how artistic 3D models can be. I would love a Pokemon game that uses cell-shading like Skyward Sword. The Pokemon themselves don't look that bad using the Pokedex 3D models, I'm worried about the humans.
What if the main series took a page from Pokémon Colosseum and XD in regards to the overworld? When I was playing Tales of the Abyss, the way the overworld worked was very similar. I've noticed that there are some areas in Black/White (and even Black 2/White 2) where GameFreak have featured the a side-view perspective instead of a full top-down (such as just before you go onto the Skyarrow Bridge), so it's not like they're alien to the concept.

I think I have read somewhere that games that use most or all of the DS card's space tend to run slower than ones that don't. no major Pokemon game has filled up a DS card. I just wonder if the 3DS cards do the same - run slower when filled to the max. And with the extra space the 3D models need, would the game run the risk of lagging?

I think I have read somewhere that games that use most or all of the DS card's space tend to run slower than ones that don't. no major Pokemon game has filled up a DS card. I just wonder if the 3DS cards do the same - run slower when filled to the max. And with the extra space the 3D models need, would the game run the risk of lagging?

If you've read the posts above, PBR, containing 493 models of Pokemon (plus some of the alternate formes) and all the moves only take up 1.24 GB. Generation VII will not have close to even twice that amount (unless they plan on adding over 300 Pokemon), and the current 3DS cartridges can go up to 8 GB. There's really no worry about space concerns here.

@Joshawott;
I was thinking they'd do something like Golden Sun for Overworld and Battle scenes where the overworld mostly uses chibi sprites and the battle scenes uses the full 3D model. It seems like a natural transition given that the current series actually use chibi sprites.

I hope they never replace the sprites. The latest 3D models look plastic and lifeless. Every Pokemon has the same texture, whether it is a fish, a bird or a furry animal. It's like they wanted the monsters to be no more than that, 3D models, even in the Pokemon world itself (considering that in BW Pokemon evolves with some pixel-like animation, maybe they even are digital).

Either they should stick to the cartoon style and leave the Pokemon as 2D (there is possible to achieve the same style with 3D, but I don't think Game Freak can do this), or they should move over to a more realistic style with 3D.

I think they'll keep the sprites, although they may look flat in the 3DS.

@Te-em I agree with the lifeless part, but I'm sure they'd put scales on fish, feathers on birds, etc. (Well, not with Xbox 360 quality graphics, but just enough so they don't all look like play-doh models

@Te-em I agree with the lifeless part, but I'm sure they'd put scales on fish, feathers on birds, etc. (Well, not with Xbox 360 quality graphics, but just enough so they don't all look like play-doh models

I'm afraid they won't. The only 3D models that look good are those for the Smash Bros series, because they have to keep up with the graphics of those games. Lizardon has good shadowing and Lucario has well-detailed texture.

Well, we don't know if they will simply reuse assets from Pokédex 3D or not. I was wondering if maybe they will use 3D models similar to those used in the cut scenes in Black and White - they do look pixelated, but they have more "life" in them than the 3D models.

@Joshawott;
I was thinking they'd do something like Golden Sun for Overworld and Battle scenes where the overworld mostly uses chibi sprites and the battle scenes uses the full 3D model. It seems like a natural transition given that the current series actually use chibi sprites.
Yeah; Chibi PC sprites and a slightly more detailed overworld. Megaman Starforce does something similar too, I believe.

Sprites would be nice, the AA could bump the quality up big time, and could possibly give us a psuedo 3D look to them. Personally, if we mean sprites as we have em now I would prefer 3D models, but if the go for something like the KoF/BB/GG sprites, but in Pokemon's own special way, I'll be fine. Just make em more rounded and add some depth, and they're perfect.

Well, we don't know if they will simply reuse assets from Pokédex 3D or not. I was wondering if maybe they will use 3D models similar to those used in the cut scenes in Black and White - they do look pixelated, but they have more "life" in them than the 3D models.

They remind me of the 3D models in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker II. I actually like the model of Reshiram and if Pokemon were to look like that, then it wouldn't be so bad. If GF will use 3D, I hope they'll keep away from the Pokédex 3D models, and use the ones in BW instead, but then they would have to remake a lot of Pokemon.

I hope they never replace the sprites. The latest 3D models look plastic and lifeless. Every Pokemon has the same texture, whether it is a fish, a bird or a furry animal. It's like they wanted the monsters to be no more than that, 3D models, even in the Pokemon world itself (considering that in BW Pokemon evolves with some pixel-like animation, maybe they even are digital).

This. I don't want 3D models if they aren't going to be good. There's nothing wrong with Sprites in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, an overhall of the battle system that included 3D models of all the Pokemon would be awesome, but it would require the entire game's graphics to undergo massive changes. It'd be ridiculous if we had the over world looking like it does now, or even slightly upgraded, and then to go into a full scale 3D battle with more interactive battle animations. Although the 3DS cartridges have a lot of memory, I think that because of the amount of space all of this would take up, we'd be sacrificing game length and content to make room for all of this, which definitely isn't worth it, not yet anyway.

Also, why are people still expecting a Grey Version? Maybe we'll have one in a few generations time as a further continuation of the B/W plot, but I don't think GF are stupid enough to bore us with the same region three game sets in a row. Personally, I'd hate for there to be a Grey Version any time within the next three years; by the time B2/W2 are over, I'll have seen enough of Unova, no matter how changed, for a long time.

I'd be open minded. But I see them blowing it as a possibility.

I think it'd be awesome. As Joshawott and The Outrage have pointed out, there is more than enough space for all of the 3D models in the games. If they have a 3D overworld I highly doubt they'll have 2D or 2.5D sprites. Anyway, I would put it at about a 50% chance they'll do it. They have all of the current pokemon models worked out with Pokedex 3D, but I can also see them being lazy and just using 2D sprites.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom