• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh So I Guess "Collectible" Pokemon Are A Consistent Thing?

Despada

Reaction score
I know that Pokemon, in general, is inherently a game that involves collecting all kinds of different Pokemon, but what I'm referring to is specifically Pokemon who come with different "visual variants" (Pokemon with different, unchangeable, visual forms that do not affect anything about the Pokemon outside of their appearance) that players can go and collect.

These types of Pokemon were more or less introduced in Generation 3 with the addition of Spinda to the series, a Pokemon whose spots are determined by its Personality Value. However, while "collectible" the total number of visual variants of Spinda exceeds 4 billion versions of the dizzy bear, not determining shinies. Meaning it is not currently feasible to collect every Spinda variant without some form of an external memory bank to house them all. Thankfully GameFreak reared things back some in the proceeding generations.
In Generation 4 we got Shellos and Gastrodon who had different appearances based on whether they were encountered on the Eastern or Western side of Sinnoh.
With Generation 5, Deerling and Sawsbuck were introduced as Pokemon who each had four visual variants based on Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring as a tie-in to the Season mechanic added to Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2.
For Generation 6 we were introduced to two Pokemon lines that fall into the visual variant format in the forms the Florges line and Vivillon. Florges and its pre-evolutions have their appearance determined based on the color of the flower patches they were found in (they are white if found within white flower patches, or yellow if found in yellow flower patches). However, Vivillon's wing patterns were determined by the region the player's 3DS was set in prior to starting the game with two additional wing patterns distributed via special events.
Then in Generation 7, we got Minior whose color is determined at random when first encountered in the wild.

Now in generation 8 we have a new Pokemon that falls into this "collectible"/"visual variant" theme in the form of Alcremie who can come in different flavor and topping combinations. Based on the wording of the original tweet this news was introduced in, these visual variants seem to be somewhat random and unchangeable. Meaning that players now have the option to go out and capture as many of these different versions of Alcremie to their heart's content.

I guess what I'm more or less trying to get at is; so this is a thing? I'm not one way or the other on it, but I have to wonder if people are down for it themselves? Do any of you try to collect all the versions of these types of Pokemon? Do any of you with a Living Dex try to get all of them, or do you stop at just having one for "their spot" in the Pokedex? With Alcremie, are we possibly getting too many options, or are the more the merrier?

I suppose so; I don't really mind because I already like collecting all forms as well as all species. I can't really say yet if Alcremie feels too daunting since we don't know how many combinations there will be. I think the current record-holder (Unown, at 28 forms) isn't too bad.

Though honestly I'm kind of surprised that Game Freak haven't already reached a point of choosing to apply the Spinda model to even more Pokémon, like say, moving Bulbasaur's spots around, or adding spots to Charmander. The Magikarp Jump game experimented with that idea by offering many different patterns and colors for Magikarp's scales, and I thought that was a lot of fun. While it would be beyond unfeasible to collect 4 billion variants of any Pokémon, one could argue that it would be more naturalistic and would further emphasize the individuality of each Pokémon if your Bulbasaur didn't look quite like one owned by the person next to you.

I think it's great! In addition to having more collection options for people who want to collect, while not holding any non-collectors back from a prize (like the Shiny Charm for dex completion), I think it's always a positive to let players have an option of being able to have different looks to a Pokemon just because they like it that way.

Do any of you with a Living Dex try to get all of them, or do you stop at just having one for "their spot" in the Pokedex?
I do! I like to collect any different Pokemon form that has its own unique box sprite, so all the Unown characters, all the Flabebe family colors, all the Vivillon patterns, etc.

How did GF handle Spinda’s ridiculous amount of patterns in Gens 6 & 7. I can’t imagine they had an individual model for all of those (but based on other things I’ve heard it wouldn’t surprise me either lol).

I actually like Alcremie’s alts since they all come together in the Gigantamax form, but I don’t expect too many alternate forms when Masuda kind of sounded like they were such a big deal to transfer over.

How did GF handle Spinda’s ridiculous amount of patterns in Gens 6 & 7. I can’t imagine they had an individual model for all of those (but based on other things I’ve heard it wouldn’t surprise me either lol).

They don't. There's just one Spinda model with no spots that acts as a base, and then the positions of the spots are determined by the individual Spinda's personality value, which shifts them around the x- and y-axes of Spinda's face and ears.

Last edited:
the idea of pokemon all looking slightly different is an amazing idea! in real life many animals have slight variations on stuff like spots and it helps make them unique and, depending on the pattern and such, valuable. there are geckos sold for thousands of dollars.
i really do want more variations for pokemon, though more in this way as opposed to a collectable way (which is also still fine)

Though honestly I'm kind of surprised that Game Freak haven't already reached a point of choosing to apply the Spinda model to even more Pokémon, like say, moving Bulbasaur's spots around, or adding spots to Charmander. The Magikarp Jump game experimented with that idea by offering many different patterns and colors for Magikarp's scales, and I thought that was a lot of fun. While it would be beyond unfeasible to collect 4 billion variants of any Pokémon, one could argue that it would be more naturalistic and would further emphasize the individuality of each Pokémon if your Bulbasaur didn't look quite like one owned by the person next to you.
Yes so much - I'd love this individuality added to some pokemon.

Each gen since gen 3 has had some kind of collectible forms, and it probably wasn't a thing in the first 2 gens due to graphical limitations only.

Gen 3: Spinda
Gen 4: Burmy/Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon
Gen 5: Deerling/Sawsbuck
Gen 6: Flabebe line, Furfrou, Vivillon
Gen 7: Minior
Gen 8: Alcremie, ???

Am I missing any?

I'm personally hoping Polteageist has 3-5 forms with different teapot colors, but as of right now there's nothing hinting at that.

Each gen since gen 3 has had some kind of collectible forms, and it probably wasn't a thing in the first 2 gens due to graphical limitations only.

Gen 3: Spinda
Gen 4: Burmy/Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon
Gen 5: Deerling/Sawsbuck
Gen 6: Flabebe line, Furfrou, Vivillon
Gen 7: Minior
Gen 8: Alcremie, ???

Am I missing any?

I'm personally hoping Polteageist has 3-5 forms with different teapot colors, but as of right now there's nothing hinting at that.
There’s also Unown, Rotom, Lycanroc, and Oricorio. Not sure if you would count Pokémon like Frillish, Unfezant, Meowstic, Pyroar, or Pumpkaboo. Also not sure if you’re counting legendaries since you can only get one without trading anyway.

Only Pumpkaboo should be considered, because the others are just gender differences.
They’re pretty major gender differences, though. Enough for each of them to get their own official artwork. I would say they are about equally as “collectible” as Shellos/Gastrodon although I guess they would only ever get 2 forms.

They’re pretty major gender differences, though. Enough for each of them to get their own official artwork. I would say they are about equally as “collectible” as Shellos/Gastrodon although I guess they would only ever get 2 forms.
All the other ones (apart from Minior) have some sort of special changer, unlike gender differences.
Spinda: Personality Values
Shellos & Gastrodon, Burmy & Wormadam: Different place
Deerling & Sawsbuck: Seasons
Flabebe: Flower field color
Furfrou: Fur Salon
Vivillon: Real World Regions

I also think having every Furfrou form on separate Furfrou is pointless because it reverts back to its natural form.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom