• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh So I Guess "Collectible" Pokemon Are A Consistent Thing?

Those should be counted as collectible since they're Bankable unlike Spiky-Eared Pichu & Cosplay Pikachu, though USUM Totems (Araquanid, A-Marowak, Togedemaru, & Ribombee) are excluded as well since they're not Bankable.

All 7 Cap Pikachu & the 7 SM Totems can be Banked though, and it makes me wonder how some of the Totems would be handled in Dynamax compared to their regular forms.
Cap Pikachu I would agree with. I only didn’t count it bc it hasn’t been confirmed for SwSh yet which still technically means it’s only been available in one single generation and (unlike Oricorio) alt Pikachu forms have precedent for only appearing in one gen. Though, I’m sure they will be in SwSh to promote Ash’s new hat or something but nothing is confirmed yet.

I wouldn’t expect the SuMo Totems to make it in. Seems like something that would be Alola exclusive.

I am interested to see how Dynamax would go with the different Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist sizes. Although my gut says they’ll just make em all the same size.

I am interested to see how Dynamax would go with the different Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist sizes. Although my gut says they’ll just make em all the same size.

Considering the fact that all Dynamax Pokémon are roughly the same size irregardless of their original size, I’d imagine that the same would apply to totems and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist.

Either way though, the 4 USUM Totems are screwed since they're stuck in their debut games, unless Game Freak updates Bank to let them be transferrable into it.

Man, to think how that used to be the big "Will they be transferrable!?" concern... :p

I know that Pokemon, in general, is inherently a game that involves collecting all kinds of different Pokemon, but what I'm referring to is specifically Pokemon who come with different "visual variants" (Pokemon with different, unchangeable, visual forms that do not affect anything about the Pokemon outside of their appearance) that players can go and collect.

These types of Pokemon were more or less introduced in Generation 3 with the addition of Spinda to the series, a Pokemon whose spots are determined by its Personality Value. However, while "collectible" the total number of visual variants of Spinda exceeds 4 billion versions of the dizzy bear, not determining shinies. Meaning it is not currently feasible to collect every Spinda variant without some form of an external memory bank to house them all. Thankfully GameFreak reared things back some in the proceeding generations.
In Generation 4 we got Shellos and Gastrodon who had different appearances based on whether they were encountered on the Eastern or Western side of Sinnoh.
With Generation 5, Deerling and Sawsbuck were introduced as Pokemon who each had four visual variants based on Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring as a tie-in to the Season mechanic added to Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2.
For Generation 6 we were introduced to two Pokemon lines that fall into the visual variant format in the forms the Florges line and Vivillon. Florges and its pre-evolutions have their appearance determined based on the color of the flower patches they were found in (they are white if found within white flower patches, or yellow if found in yellow flower patches). However, Vivillon's wing patterns were determined by the region the player's 3DS was set in prior to starting the game with two additional wing patterns distributed via special events.
Then in Generation 7, we got Minior whose color is determined at random when first encountered in the wild.

Now in generation 8 we have a new Pokemon that falls into this "collectible"/"visual variant" theme in the form of Alcremie who can come in different flavor and topping combinations. Based on the wording of the original tweet this news was introduced in, these visual variants seem to be somewhat random and unchangeable. Meaning that players now have the option to go out and capture as many of these different versions of Alcremie to their heart's content.

I guess what I'm more or less trying to get at is; so this is a thing? I'm not one way or the other on it, but I have to wonder if people are down for it themselves? Do any of you try to collect all the versions of these types of Pokemon? Do any of you with a Living Dex try to get all of them, or do you stop at just having one for "their spot" in the Pokedex? With Alcremie, are we possibly getting too many options, or are the more the merrier?
Short answer: yes. I have all versions and variants of every Pokémon available to me and able to put into my Living Dex

Though honestly I'm kind of surprised that Game Freak haven't already reached a point of choosing to apply the Spinda model to even more Pokémon, like say, moving Bulbasaur's spots around, or adding spots to Charmander. The Magikarp Jump game experimented with that idea by offering many different patterns and colors for Magikarp's scales, and I thought that was a lot of fun. While it would be beyond unfeasible to collect 4 billion variants of any Pokémon, one could argue that it would be more naturalistic and would further emphasize the individuality of each Pokémon if your Bulbasaur didn't look quite like one owned by the person next to you.

The closest we’ve gotten to this is actually in the Pokemon Stadium series. Transferred Pokémon would have slight color variation based on its nickname and OT number. I always thought that was so cool :)

The closest we’ve gotten to this is actually in the Pokemon Stadium series. Transferred Pokémon would have slight color variation based on its nickname and OT number. I always thought that was so cool :)
I forgot about that. I still remember fighting red Koffings and thinking "why can't I have something similar?"

Do any of you try to collect all the versions of these types of Pokemon?

Way back in X and Y I attempted to collect all forms of Vivillion, and got quite a lot. However I stopped when I moved to playing primarily Omega Ruby as I was too lazy to trade my current Vivillion or start up a new collection. I wouldn't mind collecting Alcremie (though not all forms as I often run out of room in my PC towards the end game) if most or all forms can be found within just my game. Having to trade for different forms is a pain in my opinion.

Wasn't heart-tail female Eevee just confirmed for SwSh? In other words, the difference now applies to every single Eevee, not just Partner Eevee.
As for Gigantamax Eevee thing, I could see GF doing two separate Eevee versions again like in LGPE. The Eevee that are capable of Gigantamax will have gender difference. I hope this doesn't apply to regular Eevee. Or I won't get it.

My way of playing- Every pokemon at every route and if there's not so small differences and it's not insanely hard to get both forms I capture both.
So it's a thing, at least for me. But minor differences are not.

I can see the allure of collecting every single form of pokemon. Especially since I have a nasty habit of 'collect em all' fever setting in all the time with many things.

Luckily I have not the patience for it in pokemon. Nor the ability to keep a collection so it's never worth it in my eyes.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom