• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So I guess it's impossible for the anime to cover Legends Arceus, Hisui and it's characters, right?

…excuse me? They’re literally just released. If the anime thinks that the sword and shield promotion window hasn’t closed this seems like a pretty bizarre assumption.
The time to promote the game is when it comes out. The anime is still going on with its own episodes into February and March. Unless we get an announcement of an arc for it soon, they're not going to suddenly change their minds and make a Legends Arceus arc 4-6 months after the game came out. It's the same way they ignore other games like New Pokemon Snap, Colosseum, and the DLC plots like Crown Tundra and so forth

It's the same way they ignore other games like New Pokemon Snap, Colosseum, and the DLC plots like Crown Tundra and so forth
The only spin-offs that the anime made reference to is Ranger and GO, and to be honest, even they were not that faithful to the referenced games. The anime will never adapt Masters because one of that game's signature gimmicks is strong continuity. And we shall see if anything from Unite gets any mention.

The time to promote the game is when it comes out. The anime is still going on with its own episodes into February and March. Unless we get an announcement of an arc for it soon, they're not going to suddenly change their minds and make a Legends Arceus arc 4-6 months after the game came out. It's the same way they ignore other games like New Pokemon Snap, Colosseum, and the DLC plots like Crown Tundra and so forth
I mean, none of those are main series games (one is a DLC pack and not a game). And it doesn’t contradict or answer what I said. If we're still deep into the promotional window of a game that released a year ago how is the window of a game that just released less than it? Unless you have the future promotion plans in hand I don’t think we can say that. Other remakes got promotion various months before and after their release too, never at the exact time of release. Look at Mega Evolution Specials that promoted ORAS.

Also, you’re inaccurate on it being just ignored because there were those Amazon specials that you yourself said wasn’t "crappy promotion".

I don’t know why are you expecting something that the anime has never intended to do in the first place (20 episodes worth of promotion of a regional revisit game). Even Sword and Shield hasn’t received that.

Because of the time travel aspect it's not something you can expect the anime to leave Ash and Go in the past for a long period of time. Even if they were to do about a 4 episode arc I don't believe that would be enough time to cover all the characters and story. This isn't the bare bones Sword/Shield story, this game has a decent plot.

Considering how they've promoted other main series games, the idea that the only time to promote Legend Arceus is when it comes out sounds so weird to me. They didn't cover the Sword/Shield climax until nearly a year into Journeys. It wouldn't be unusual or a stretch for them to do something similar with Legend Arceus, especially when they haven't featured a lot of the Hisui forms. Getting an arc adapting Legend Arceus four to six months down the line really wouldn't be impossible, especially if they do have DLC for the game.

Aside from Pokemon Ranger and technically Pokemon Go, the anime doesn't really promote the spin off games, so bringing up New Pokemon Snap or Colosseum doesn't quite work. They did ignore the DLC plots for Sword/Shield, but that isn't really the same thing as a brand new game and it sadly fits with the minimal attention they've put on Sword/Shield in general. Plus, the anime technically has already acknowledged Legends Arceus with that special. I can't really judge its quality yet, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the anime will ignore the game when they already had a special tying in with its release.

Because of the time travel aspect it's not something you can expect the anime to leave Ash and Go in the past for a long period of time. Even if they were to do about a 4 episode arc I don't believe that would be enough time to cover all the characters and story. This isn't the bare bones Sword/Shield story, this game has a decent plot.
I still think that Sword/Shield's storyline isn't that bad. It isn't one of the amazing storylines in the series, but I thought it was fine and engaging. If Journeys had more proper setup for the Darkest Day plot, I think four episodes would have been a good length to cover it. Like I mentioned before, I don't really see the issue of them covering the game's storyline/climax within four episodes. I don't know if they'd be able to cover it effectively or do the game justice, but that hasn't really stopped them from covering the games' storylines before. I really love the storyline in Sun/Moon. It easily has one of the best storylines of the game, Lusamine was a different kind of villain given how she was so emotionally abusive to her children and Lillie slowly coming out of her shell, gaining more confidence and eventually standing up to her mother was fantastic. SM covered that storyline within about eleven episodes and I don't think that they did the game's storyline justice. The changes to Lillie and Lusamine just didn't make adapting the storyline work for me. It still had some nice moments, especially the episode where Lillie overcomes her fear of Pokemon, but it didn't do the games justice in my opinion.

I don't think it would be impossible for Ash and Goh to be in the past for a bit longer than four episodes. It might not be likely given how fast paced Journeys is, but having longer arcs is something the series has desperately needed for ages. It wouldn't really be like a roadblock to their goals. Being able to capture rare ancient Pokemon would work great for Goh. I'd love for Ash to catch some Hisuian forms, although that wouldn't be as guaranteed as much as it would be for Goh. Being able to battle trainers or ancient Pokemon would still be appealing for him too. I'm not sure how well the anime could adapt Legend Arceus and the anime has never been one hundred percent accurate with adapting the games before, but I don't think it would be that hard, let alone impossible, for them to cover the game within four episodes. There could easily be important game characters left out, but that really wouldn't be the first time. Hau and Team Skull played important roles during the storyline in Sun/Moon, but the anime didn't have either of them debut until much later well after they adapted the Lusamine climax. Not to mention there are plenty of video game characters who have never had a proper anime appearance before.

Ash’s Quilava evolving under the influence of Hisui is probably one of my biggest wishes that won’t come true.
Something about it kinda feels right, but I don't have my hopes up. Seeing Ash's Quilava evolve into the Highphlosion would be a dream come true. They have a reason to make it happen, but I just don't count on it.

Ash’s Quilava evolving under the influence of Hisui is probably one of my biggest wishes that won’t come true.
That would be really cool to see, although I think I'd still prefer for Dawn's Quilava to evolve into Hisuian Typhlosion instead. I still have my doubts about Ash's reserves being used in this series, so admittedly, I think that it would have minimal screentime regardless of which option they went for. I just think that Dawn's team would benefit from it more, especially when it's such a shame that she didn't get anything new. Ash having the regular Typhlosion while Dawn has the Hisuian form would be a nice way to make them more distinct. Besides all that, I think it would have been easier to evolve Dawn's Quilava since she has been regularly traveling and training with it through multiple regions. I still find it so baffling that they didn't make it evolve in the special when that would have been a great and natural way to showcase one of the new starters.

I'd be pretty happy if either Ash or Dawn's Quilava evolved. Typhlosion desperately needs more attention and I've been wanting a new form for Typhlosion since Mega Evolution was introduced. I adore Hisuian Typhlosion, so seeing it in the anime would still be terrific regardless. I'd just prefer for Dawn to get something new. It wouldn't make up for her seemingly stagnant progress all this time, but she'd have a new and rare Pokemon to use for her Contests, which would still be something worthwhile.

I beat the Arceus game a few days ago. The story introduces many major characters and plotlines. I can't see anything less than 15-20 eps for a proper adaption. This is not even counting time taken just to introduce Hisui pokemon in the wild that Go could randomly capture or filler-ish type eps just roaming the open world areas.

I beat the Arceus game a few days ago. The story introduces many major characters and plotlines. I can't see anything less than 15-20 eps for a proper adaption. This is not even counting time taken just to introduce Hisui pokemon in the wild that Go could randomly capture or filler-ish type eps just roaming the open world areas.
You're including filler in the number of episodes that "need" to happen? Nonsense. It's a commercial. Get in, catch a couple Pokemon, have a climax episode, get out. The absolute maximum that would be needed is 8-10 episodes, which is a perfectly serviceable amount for a side-story arc, I don't think Episode N had much more than that.

I'm not sure if anyone is really expecting a proper adaptation of the game though. The anime has never really been interested in providing faithful proper adaptations of the games. Events from the games tend to play out differently in the anime and important characters are removed or just flat out never appear all the time. The anime has always been more interested in having its own take on the games' storyline as opposed to being a faithful adaptation. Legends Arceus wouldn't really be that different in that regard. Even skipping over important game mechanics wouldn't be unheard of given how SM pretty much dropped regular trials halfway through to focus more on the Grand Trials.

I don't know if it would be enough to really do the game's storyline justice or if it would capture what makes Legends Arceus appealing for a lot of fans, but it wouldn't be impossible or unusual for them to adapt the game's storyline/climax within a few episodes.

This really doesn’t make sense. The same is true for literally most main series Pokémon games and they too, get a 4 episode promotion. I don’t know why are your standards suddenly increasing exponentially for this particular game. The anime can and will promote Arceus in 4 episodes if it wants to like literally every other main series games. Also, the average Go capture spree happens in under 5 minutes.

Will it do justice to the game's lore? Probably not. Is it always the way the anime has worked? A resounding yes. This isn’t a legends Arceus problem, and time travel is the least of their worries tbh.

They wasted Arceus' return on a crappy DP sequel. Oh, and they established that Lucas (maybe Rei) is the PLA protagonist, not Ash or Dawn. It's too bad that we didn't get a special about him.

All that really matters is showcasing the new Pokemon and forms. Maybe Lucas will return to the present and re-introduce them to Sinnoh.

Since Gen IX is supposedly coming late, they technically could create a filler arc like the Orange or Decolora Islands but dedicated to Legends Arceus.

a few specials would go with the stuff. Pokemon should first finish something. All the Hisiuian forms also have a certain potential that I wouldn't waste. Just a few specials would be enough. Then you don't have to wait what feels like years for a new episode to come out. I think such a region always had this special that there are new Pokemon that you look forward to when they have their first anime appearance. In the fight between Ash and Paul, I would have wished for other Pokemon from Paul's side than Gyarados sucked out a thousand times, etc

Much like how Virgil's appearance was a missed opportunity in Best Wishes to introduce Sylveon in the anime, Paul's reappearance here could've been the perfect chance for Ursaluna to debut in the anime. Paul somehow acquires a Peat Block (he either finds it, or receives it from Oak or some researcher), and evolves his Ursaring; heck, it could've even happened during JN114, and Ash and Goh see this.

Paul would've also notice Goh's Dex, and seeing that he has caught Scyther and Stantler. Goh is told about Kleavor and Wydeer. This could give some motivation for Goh to evolve his Stantler (too late for Scyther, as they're already a Scizor), and we'd see the evolution in the last episode (likely either with SV's method if the line is programmed, or just as a DEM).

But alas, this anime likes to squander potential time and time again. It makes you wonder if this is the main reason why Hisuian Snow was produced.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom