• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So I was reading TvTropes...

Reaction score
And I found about a lot of things that were changed in the anime. I'll put my comments in bold.

-Takeshi Shudo had story plans for Johto including Celebi being inside the GS Ball and finding out more about Ash's father. He also had plans on ending the anime with the Pokemon revolting against humans with Pikachu as the leader and Meowth as an ambassador, Misty being an invocation of Faux Action Girl, and a general implication that Pokemon training is as much Fantastic Cockfighting as Moral Guardians feared. All these ideas were scrapped and we ended up with the show we have now because of it, for better or worse.
Wasn't Ash's father supposed to be a deadbeat that never achieved anything in his plans? Because I don't know how Ash would take it if he met him. Also, it looks like Shudo was originally going to be Chiaki Konaka's predecessor in making kid's anime darker.

The early Pokémon previews from Nintendo Power ◊ provided different English names for the titles and organizations we come to know of, as well as unused concept art from the anime. For starters, the shortened name Pokémon was originally "Poke-Mon", with a hyphen in the middle and no é. Pokémon Trainers were also going to be called Pokémon hunters as well, while Team Rocket was originally going to be called the Rocket Society. Jessie and James were originally wearing the black Rocket uniform with white gloves and boots, being more closer to the Rocket Grunt designs instead of their classic white uniform and black gloves and boots (with the exception of early BW).
I remember the old Team Rocket artwork. James had a black beret instead of a rose. However, "Rocket Society" is not as catchy as Team Rocket.

Ash's original partner in the anime was supposed to be a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu. Isamu from Pocket Monsters (which is the second adaptation of the series, predating the anime) has both a Clefairy and a Pikachu as a reference to Clefairy being the original series mascot. Think about it: if successful as a franchise icon as Pikachu has been, Super Smash Bros. players could have been able to play as a Clefairy that could Metronome other fighters' Final Smashes for its own Final Smash... Another choice for Ash's original partner was also a Jigglypuff, but one who couldn't sing.
Dammit! Now I want Clefairy in Smash instead of Pikachu! Also, wouldn't an aphonic Jigglybuff beat the point of the species?

The anime was originally just supposed to last through Kanto , with an assumed ending of Ash defeating Gary and winning the Pokémon League. Here's one to consider in light of that 18-month report: Pokémon Gold and Silver was originally scheduled for release in Late 1997, but was delayed to be adapted for the Game Boy Color. The first episode of the Anime aired on April 1, 1997, and because of the delay to Gold and Silver, the Orange Island filler arc was created.
Oh, right... I forgot the Orange Islands exist thanks to Gen II's development hell. That would still be a better ending than the canon one.

The very first trailer for the movie Mewtwo Strikes Back! in Japan, it is completely made out of scenes that didn't make it to the final product; the grown-up Misty segment, in particular, is a huge source of speculation and discussion withing the fandom, specially by taking account the movie would be the Grand Finale for the anime.
Forget grown-up Misty. I want to know why Jesse and James are on top of a battleship(?).

Media Blaster wanted to release uncut DVDs in America at one point, but of course Viz got the rights and they were unable to do this.
*sigh* If only...

There was originally going to be an episode (probably just a Clip Show based on its title, "It's New Year's Eve! Pocket Monsters Encore") that celebrated the Japanese New Year during the Kanto run. This episode was intended to air soon after the infamous Porygon "seizure" episode, so production was halted, and after a while simply cancelled.
I know it was possibly a clip show, but I'm curious about what happened to it.

The GS Ball was originally going to contain a Celebi that was to star in a large portion of the Johto arc. After Pokemon 4Ever came out, it was decided that having a Celebi in the anime right after a movie featuring Celebi would be redundant, so the idea was shelved.
I would have preferred an "it didn't have anything" ending instead of just leaving the plotline to rot. At least people would stop asking for it every time if they did that.

Pokémon 3
was originally set to address the question of "What happened to real-world animals in the Pokemon universe" and instead of Entei and the Unown (Gold and Silver had been delayed at this point of development and they were unsure about doing another movie debut Pokemon) the focal point would be the reanimated fossils of a Tyrannosaurus rex.
That's actually kind of insane. I wonder if there's a fanfic based on this. On second thought, maybe I should not look for it.

According to ADR director Tom Wayland, in Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life Arceus was originally going to be voiced by actor Vincent D'Onofrio of Full Metal Jacket and Men in Black fame. However, before his recording session, there were difficulties with D'Onofrio's agent and he was unable to record for the movie. After re-auditioning, Tom Wayland himself was chosen to voice Arceus instead.
*googles name* He was the cockroach monster from Men in Black? I-I don't know what to think.

Team Plasma was supposed to make their debut appearances in Castelia City during Best Wishes, but their episodes were indefinitely postponed after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami disaster, as the episodes featured Castelia City being destroyed. This plus the Black 2 / White 2 games utilizing a different incarnation of Team Plasma led to the originally intended arc for Team Plasma in the anime being scrapped altogether.
I'm kinda curious how that would have played out. Oh well...

A related episode about a fishing competition in Castelia City was also postponed, but was broadcast without any references to the original setting of Castelia City.
Didn't they recycle animations from the Castelia episodes to make Bianca leave instead of join, or did I misunderstand something?

When the Advanced Generation was in pre-production, there was a discussion on who would get Put on a Bus, Misty or Team Rocket. Misty leaving the show was controversial enough, but one wonders how much the fandom would have flipped their lids if Team Rocket left.
I don't think the fandom would have taken it well.

Team Rocket was also going to be Put on a Bus in Best Wishes, but their fans in the production staff vetoed the decision. Ironically, their intended write-off was still advertised as their Grand Finale, just to test the waters with fans as to how the idea of them leaving would pan out. The answer was "not well".}
I guess by now, they are competing with the Time Bokan villainous trio to see who will give up first.

Takeshi Shudo had story plans for finding out more about Ash's father. This idea was scrapped and we ended up with the show we have now because of it.
Judging by his original plans, I'm thankful they didn't go through with it.

Early previews for Spell of the Unown refer to it as Tower of the Unown.
Pretty minor change.

Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
was supposedly going to focused on Jackie Walker as the protagonist, along with Manaphy as his sidekick, but this shifted around as May became a more interesting viewpoint for the story and they realized how May and Manaphy's Mother/"Son" dynamic might appear to be recycling Misty and Togepi.
I would almost like to see a Pokémon movie without Ash. I know there's Detective Pikachu, but I don't like the models used in that movie.

Latias from Pokémon Heroes was originally meant to join Ash for at least the remainder of the Johto season, but that plan was scrapped possibly due to the staff not willing to work with a serious Pokemon/Human relationship on a kid's show (then again Bayleaf did like Ash too).
The Bayleef thing at least was one-sided. This would have been pretty creepy in my opinion.

The podcast bumper for the original Japanese airing of "Unova's Survival Crisis" gave the audience a telephone poll over which Pokemon they wanted to return to Team Rocket; Wobbuffet, Mime. Jr or Dustox. While we know who won the poll, one has to wonder how XY would have played if Mime. Jr or even Dustox inexplicably rejoined
I don't really remember how they left Mime Jr., but I do recall that Dustox was released in a rehashed "Bye, Bye Butterfree". I guess it would have been kinda weird to see anyone return. Also what happened with Wobbuffet?

Another bit of Shudo-related early days trivia came to light in 2016: aside from the possible ending shown in the earliest Mewtwo Strikes Back! trailer, he also had an idea for an ending that involved an old Satoshi reminiscing about his childhood, and remembering the series; yet it was clear that it had mostly been the fantasy of one young boy and it had faded as he had aged. It would end, then, with Satoshi closing his eyes, hearing his mother's voice... and a young Satoshi running off to another adventure, raising the question of whether being a dream even mattered. That would have been quite a tone shift for the anime series and taken successor series in a much different direction.
Not only that, Fanfic writers would have a field day with it. It's almost a positive version of the "Captain Tsubasa takes place in Tsubasa's head and he lost his legs" theory that is pretty common in LA.

Ash's original dub name was "Casey". This was shown in an early trailer and later confirmed again by Veronica Taylor. The name was later given to a recurring female character in the Johto seasons, who is, quite fittingly, a baseball fan.
I wonder what trailer it was. The only pre-release one I have seen is the one with live-action actors. You know, the one with Ash's Science teacher. Wait, Ash had a formal education?

Seeing as the majority of the show is now available on Disney's streaming apps, there is the possibility that, had Turner Broadcasting not lost the rights, the show would have ended up on their Boomerang streaming service.
*shrugs*

NOT FROM TVTROPES AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE LEGIT OR NOT. MIGHT COME FROM SHUDO'S NOVEL(S) AND BLOGS

Ash's dad was apparently a deadbeat that never achieved anything in life. Delia lied to Ash telling him that he was a powerful trainer.
Yikes, that's kinda dark.

Gym Leaders were going to be fired if they lost three times in a row.
Isn't this too harsh? Specially since everyone could look up in the Internet what types the Gym Leader used beforehand.

The Pokémon rebellion was going to be the fourth movie.
I'm still glad it wasn't made. That would be like telling the moral guardians (and PETA) "yup, you were right".

So, what do you think?

Hmmmm... If there are links, it is likely reliable. However, always take a grain of salt with TV Tropes Trivia. I know first hand how easy it is to edit TV Tropes. It's quite astonishing.

The earlyPokémon previews from Nintendo Power◊ provided different English names for the titles and organizations we come to know of, as well as unused concept art from the anime. For starters, the shortened name Pokémon was originally "Poke-Mon", with a hyphen in the middle and no é. Pokémon Trainers were also going to be called Pokémon hunters as well, while Team Rocket was originally going to be called the Rocket Society. Jessie and James were originally wearing the black Rocket uniform with white gloves and boots, being more closer to the Rocket Grunt designs instead of their classic white uniform and black gloves and boots (with the exception of early BW).
I remember the old Team Rocket artwork. James had a black beret instead of a rose. However, "Rocket Society" is not as catchy as Team Rocket.

This is what I wrote down there. And I only did so because I stumbled upon a few image scans of the Nintendo Power showcasing Pokémon. Which is why I put the links there in the first place.

However, the other trivia aspects are written by someone else and I don't know if that's true. TV Tropes is only great when it's discussing the actual works that happen within the story in question, but even then it's a gamble.

And I do know there's a lot of junk on TV Tropes that needs to be corrected, but even I have my limits to this dedication.

Ash's original partner in the anime was supposed to be a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu. Isamu from Pocket Monsters (which is the second adaptation of the series, predating the anime) has both a Clefairy and a Pikachu as a reference to Clefairy being the original series mascot. Think about it: if successful as a franchise icon as Pikachu has been, Super Smash Bros. players could have been able to play as a Clefairy that could Metronome other fighters' Final Smashes for its own Final Smash... Another choice for Ash's original partner was also a Jigglypuff, but one who couldn't sing.

As for the Clefairy, I happen to read Pikachu's Global Adventure, which is where the main source of the Clefairy being Ash's original starter came from. I think there might have been a miscommunication. The book mentions a manga during the discussion about the choice between Clefairy and Pikachu. And there's only one manga that fits the description:

Pocket Monsters

That came out in 1996, exactly a year before the anime. And it was extremely popular in Japan. If someone is trying to do research about the Pokémon Phenomenon and Pikachu's popularity without insider-access to GameFreak's behind the scenes tour, it is very easy to conclude that Clefairy was meant to be the original mascot. I don't know if they had access to GameFreak itself, but I do know that GameFreak had a different reason for Pikachu as the mascot.

It was apparently a popular Pokémon among boys and girls due its rarity and cuteness. A game programmer inserted Pikachu into the Viridian Forest as a special secret for himself to catch early because of how cute it is. Some kids ended up finding that rare Pikachu, and thus gossip spread of an electric cute mouse found in Viridian Forest.

Additionally, the anime creators wanted a Pokémon that was not among the three main starters in order for the show to not feel bias towards a particular starter (this was before the Charizard craze).

Last edited:
Hmmmm... If there are links, it is likely reliable. However, always take a grain of salt with TV Tropes Trivia. I know first hand how easy it is to edit TV Tropes. It's quite astonishing.

As for the Clefairy, I happen to read Pikachu's Global Adventure, which is where the main source of the Clefairy being Ash's original starter came from. I think there might have been a miscommunication. The book mentions a manga during the discussion about the choice between Clefairy and Pikachu. And there's only one manga that fits the description:

Pocket Monsters

That came out in 1996, exactly a year before the anime. And it was extremely popular in Japan. If someone is trying to do research about the Pokémon Phenomenon and Pikachu's popularity without insider-access to GameFreak's behind the scenes tour, it is very easy to conclude that Clefairy was meant to be the original mascot. I don't know if they had access to GameFreak itself, but I do know that GameFreak had a different reason for Pikachu as the mascot.

It was apparently a popular Pokémon among boys and girls due its rarity and cuteness. A game programmer inserted Pikachu into the Viridian Forest as a special secret for himself to catch early because of how cute it is. Some kids ended up finding that rare Pikachu, and thus gossip spread of an electric cute mouse found in Viridian Forest.

Additionally, the anime creators wanted a Pokémon that was not among the three main starters in order for the show to not feel bias towards a particular starter (this was before the Charizard craze).

*sigh* So Pikachu was always supposed to be the mascot... And the one that got the Clefairy was the manga where everything was off-model (e.g.: three-eyed Persian). On the other hand, I think that if we got Clefairy as the mascot it would be the Pokémon that I dislike instead of Pikachu, and maybe would have hated the introduction of the Fairy Type.

Also, I don't think there's a Charizard craze. It's a Fire starter craze, since they almost always concentrate on them. The only exceptions I can think of are Gen VI since Greninja got the focus and Gen II, where it's the fans that focused on Typhlosion.

*sigh* So Pikachu was always supposed to be the mascot... And the one that got the Clefairy was the manga where everything was off-model (e.g.: three-eyed Persian). On the other hand, I think that if we got Clefairy as the mascot it would be the Pokémon that I dislike instead of Pikachu, and maybe would have hated the introduction of the Fairy Type.

Also, I don't think there's a Charizard craze. It's a Fire starter craze, since they almost always concentrate on them. The only exceptions I can think of are Gen VI since Greninja got the focus and Gen II, where it's the fans that focused on Typhlosion.

It's rather ambiguous. All I know is that in 1996, the very year that the Pokémon games were released, there was no mascot at the time. At best were Venusaur and Charizard, the starter Pokémon of the series. Clefairy got recognition simply because it was the first Pokémon to get major promotions via the Pocket Monsters Manga, which came out two months later after the games were released.

But there may be an element of truth regarding Clefairy's mythical status as the original Pokémon mascot:

According to Dogasu, Clefairy was designed by Ken Sugimori himself in an attempt to make his own "cute" Pokémon.

View: https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/991699303851745280

So perhaps Clefairy was one of the possible mascot candidates for Pokémon. But everyone who had the games were going after Pikachu first rather than the equally rare Clefairy in Mt. Moon.

I have heard of most of these before, but the one that really seems suspicious to me was the bit about Media Blaster wanting to release uncut DVDs. I've never heard of that before and it just seems so unlikely. I'm not sure if there was ever enough demand for uncut Pokemon home video releases, especially when Viz Media has had the distribution rights to Pokemon for a long time. Most of the other details at least have sources, but this detail in particular really sounds unbelievable to me. It also doesn't help that I wouldn't really trust TVTropes as an accurate source of information in the first place.

Pikachu's popularity probably comes from the fact that how useful it was to defeat Misty. Bulbasaur was not popular as other starters after all, and it's very hard to defeat Misty if you choose Charmander because of its popularity.

The most surprising thing about the staff reducing to the Misty or Team Rocket choice is that Ash and Brock were never planned to leave...

I think the Latias part is fake, because a) The movie 4 part confirms that they don't want the movies and the anime crossing over, and b) It would have overlapped with the Larvitar arc, which according to the openings was planned from mid Johto to 3/4 of Johto.

It was very obvious Wobbuffet was going to win the poll. It's like they'd to the same question with Ash's Pokemon and the options were Charizard, Goodra and Gliscor.

A Pokemon rebellion would be good to watch, but I don't think it would happen as it would go against the franchise core concept that any Pokemon can be domesticated. We somewhat got a trainers' Pokemon vs rebel Pokemon fight in Movie 1 though.

A Pokemon rebellion would be good to watch, but I don't think it would happen as it would go against the franchise core concept that any Pokemon can be domesticated. We somewhat got a trainers' Pokemon vs rebel Pokemon fight in Movie 1 though.
I know, maybe that's the reason he got vetoed.

Pikachu's popularity probably comes from the fact that how useful it was to defeat Misty. Bulbasaur was not popular as other starters after all, and it's very hard to defeat Misty if you choose Charmander because of its popularity.

I think that's speculation. From what I understand based on official statements, people were drawn into Pikachu's cuteness as well as the fact it was an anomaly in the Viridian Forest aka the only non-Bug-Type Pokémon that can be found in the bug-infested forest.

I know, maybe that's the reason he got vetoed.

Shūdo may have been headwriter, but the show itself was commissioned by higher executives who sought to capitalize on Pokémon's success in Japan. He can influence many things, like Team Rocket, but other ideas were simply left unused or tone down. The show's stance on Ash's father, for example, has been at odds with Shūdo's vision. Whereas the showrunner Hidaka somewhat implied that Ash's father is still a trainer on a journey (and a Japanese magazine implies that Satoshi believes him to be a great trainer), Shūdo heavily emphasized on the disappearance aspect of Ash's father and implied that he's a former trainer and nameless loser too embarrassed to go back to his family. Obviously, what would the studios choose for the show if they ever visit Ash's father?

Pretty much the only reason I'm glad Ash didn't catch Latias would be that the show would be hard-pressed to justify leaving a freaking Latias behind, but at the same time, they'd have to actually let Ash face bigger challenges and win more often if they didn't.

The only viable thing I can see would be for them to pull another case of "Has to stay somewhere else as its guardian Pokemon", and even that would probably piss a ton of people off.

So basically, if you don't want a Legendary that's either gonna have to look weaker than its supposed to be or is gonna have to leave, you'd have to have it so Ash's journey either ends or properly escalates to something harder... I mean, I think it could, given that there's no way that just defeating the E4 already makes you a Pokemon Master, so it would still be acceptable for Ash to train even further and then enter some kind of super-tournament. (Perhaps with the inclusion of a variety of difficult, crazy League-enforced quests and obstacles you have to do just to be able to participate, if they want more cool stuff to put in the show)

But that whole idea is just wishful thinking, pretty much.

Shūdo may have been headwriter, but the show itself was commissioned by higher executives who sought to capitalize on Pokémon's success in Japan. He can influence many things, like Team Rocket, but other ideas were simply left unused or tone down. The show's stance on Ash's father, for example, has been at odds with Shūdo's vision. Whereas the showrunner Hidaka somewhat implied that Ash's father is still a trainer on a journey (and a Japanese magazine implies that Satoshi believes him to be a great trainer), Shūdo heavily emphasized on the disappearance aspect of Ash's father and implied that he's a former trainer and nameless loser too embarrassed to go back to his family. Obviously, what would the studios choose for the show if they ever visit Ash's father?
I know, and I'm glad they didn't choose that. That would have been a pretty depressing development if they pulled that.

Although I'm always interested in beta/pre-release things, I recognize that some of those changes are for the better. The only thing that I feel would have been necessary was Ash's victory in the end since I feel they could have continued with Ethan had Pokémon 2 not get delayed, but it's too late to do that now, right?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom