• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So I'm an artist too!

Yay for starter Pokemon designs!

fan_starter_pokemon_by_great_aether-d4s9g05.png

Since I put this on my DA as well, I'll just quote the info right here:

So, I decided to design some starter Pokemon to go with my legendary Pokemon, Regasus.

The grass type is Tawnog and it's based off of a groundhog. Its name comes from "groundhog" and "Punxutawny Phil" (the name of the groundhog for Groundhog Day in Pennsylvania). I chose a groundhog because the region I have in mind is based off of my home city of Pittsburgh, PA. Tawnog evolves into a grass/normal type (would've chosen grass/ground, except we already got one of those for a starter in gen 4).

The fire type is Kinder, the fire goat. Its name is actually a double play. It's a combination of "cinder" and "kid" (a baby goat) and the word kinder itself is German for kid/child. I chose a goat because, well, I like goats and I think they'd look badass with fire. Kinder evolves into a fire/psychic type (with its final evo being based on a ram).

The water type is Hippa, a water hippo. Its name is basically a corruption of hippo, but could also be a combination of "hippo" and "aqua." I decided on a hippo because it makes sense. xP Anyway, Hippa starts off quadrupedal, but it evolves into a bipedal water/fighting type.

Lastly, the names of the starter evolutions:

Tawnog -> Hograss -> Punxaton

Kinder -> Ignihorn -> Flaries

Hippa -> Drippotta -> Hydrotamus

This is my first attempt at designing starters, so I hope I did alright. xP

Thanks! (though I kinda wish more people than just you would comment in here... xP). Unfortunately, I have yet to draw their evolutions. I'd like to make sprites of the starters first.

No more comments? I just finished spriting these starters! Shiny forms included. :3

fan_starter_pokemon_sprites_by_great_aether-d4t5ll5.png

Last edited:
Oh wow, those are some good sprites. I can't wait to see what the form of Hydrotamus (good names for the evolutions as well :D) will look like! I'll keep this thread in mind for sure!

Oh, thanks! I wasn't sure I'd do too well with Pokemon sprites. I guess being a veteran Fire Emblem spriter has helped after all. :D

No more comments? I just finished spriting these starters! Shiny forms included. :3

Sorry, I thought I posted in here already :/. But these are AMAZING. I could never create my own sprites like you did. These look like they belong in Gen 6 ;)!

The first two are good / pretty much match the style... the hippo can use some work though, particularly in the legs.

Yeah, for some reason, I had more trouble on Hippa than the other two. Thanks anyway, you guys. :]

You're a great artist. :) My favorites are Regasus and Troy Ponymalu (xD). Everything looks clean and crisp.

I wish Regasus was a real legendary! It's a really cool design.

Keep up the good stuff!

You're a great artist. :) My favorites are Regasus and Troy Ponymalu (xD). Everything looks clean and crisp.

I wish Regasus was a real legendary! It's a really cool design.

Keep up the good stuff!

Oh wow, thanks. :3 I'll certainly keep drawing!

New piece! This is a character that belongs to one of my best friends.

dravid_feryl___concept_art_by_great_aether-d4x1mv6.png

His name is Dravid Feryl. Read more here. :]

Last edited:
Aw, no comments? Well, I've got a new sketch!

2rc4fu1.jpg

This is Faline, one of the characters from my Fire Emblem fic, in her wedding gown! She and Bryan are one of the pairings that get married at the end of the story. FE has a bunch of characters do this in the series, so yeah. I chose to design Faline's wedding gown because, for a reason I won't reveal due to spoilers, hers is the most regal and elaborate.

I sure had fun designing it though! :D

Last edited:
And colored! :D

bryan__s_bride_by_great_aether-d4x9mvj.png

Last edited:
The detail in that...Its hard to actually describe!
The shading is very appealing, as it isn't used to much, but looks amazing when it is!

Great job, love your work, and keep it up!

Oh wow, thanks! ^^

I don't really see the need for a lot of shading on something that's white, so yeah. :p

Here's some more Fire Emblem sprites I just finished today to go with my fanfic. :D

dawn_of_darkness_sprites_8_by_great_aether-d4y8q8l.png

Read more here.

Last edited:
Those look rather nice, no pixation that you can see with some sprites, very clean and nice!

Thanks! I mostly did just recolors though. I had altered some of these (such as the wyvern riders), but not drastically.

Back
Top Bottom