• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers So...is there anyone who DIDN'T like Zinnia?

I don't know how I feel towards Zinnia... I wasn't too fond of her stealing keystones but at the same time it's nice to see more of an anti-hero character in Pokemon. She's kinda creepy but I also somewhat like that.

She is too full of herself however and that's probably what restricts me from liking her. Plus the fact we were forced to use mega-ray against her which made her battle pathetic and I was quite excited for a challenge.

However by what she's said she will be appearing in another game and hopefully they could develop her personality.

Ok, so I don't like her, but I do like her

What I mean is, I wouldn't want to have coffee with her or play boardgames or whatever, cause she definitely doesn't seem like an especially fun person to hang out with. But I do think she is interesting and I like her as a characters. I do hope we'll get to see more of her though

I don't know how I feel towards Zinnia... I wasn't too fond of her stealing keystones but at the same time it's nice to see more of an anti-hero character in Pokemon. She's kinda creepy but I also somewhat like that.

She is too full of herself however and that's probably what restricts me from liking her. Plus the fact we were forced to use mega-ray against her which made her battle pathetic and I was quite excited for a challenge.

However by what she's said she will be appearing in another game and hopefully they could develop her personality.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Zinnia.

Zinnia, I'm on the fence about. All of her faults were showing at a time where faults aren't needed. I mean, a meteor's coming and will wipe out a number of lives--what's that? Act on your own accord? Well--what's that? SCREW THE POLICE? Well, crap; let's do it!

...Oh crap, we can't do it.

And that's Zinnia in a nutshell. But, at the same time, I like that about her. I like that she's in her own world trying to save ours, I like the fact her appearance--more or less--brings the discussion of a Pokemon Multverse...and her theme. MY GAWD HER THEME--

The only justification of her character being flinged at you because of the Delta Episode...being a episode. ONE HOUR of story and devlopment. I mean, that's not a lot.

/end ramble. Hate her, I understand. I hope we see more of her, but then again, that's like wishing N or AZ to come back...

I just realized something... In the Birth Island event of Emerald, doesn't a meteor strike the ground when you first arrive? Granted, the Deoxys rock is still there, but it pretty much implies that the meteor hit the RSE Hoenn at the same time that OR/AS Hoenn destroyed theirs. And both Hoenn regions survived. So why was Zinnia so worried?

Also, more importantly, the meteor was 6 miles wide. Even if the atmosphere hadn't burnt the crap out of it, it would've taken out maybe half of Hoenn, at the most considering it's so large, and that's if it had struck land at all, it could've sunk into the ocean. Not to mention that M-Rayquaza is shown in the cutscene to be longer than the meteor and about 1/3 as wide... so it was much smaller at that point and would've been absolutely no danger to anyone... Zinnia is about as dumb as she is vague.

After really thinking about everything, she was just a plot device to get you to Rayquaza, Wallace's Champion team and to the multi-verse theory. All of which could've been implemented naturally (having OR/AS be more of Emerald and less of R/S and including the Sootopolis cutscene and the Rayquaza recruitment plotline, having Juan take over Wallace's Gym post-game while Wallace takes Steven's place who would train in Meteor Falls with the Draconids, and making Hoopa's event far more in-depth, respectively.) Zinnia is irrelevant and irritating and I'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to like her.

I just realized something... In the Birth Island event of Emerald, doesn't a meteor strike the ground when you first arrive? Granted, the Deoxys rock is still there, but it pretty much implies that the meteor hit the RSE Hoenn at the same time that OR/AS Hoenn destroyed theirs. And both Hoenn regions survived. So why was Zinnia so worried?

Going out on a limb here... multiverse shenanigans. Could've been a smaller space rock, or maybe all of it burned in the atmosphere, and only the Deoxys core makes it through. The possibilities could go on.

Also, more importantly, the meteor was 6 miles wide. Even if the atmosphere hadn't burnt the crap out of it, it would've taken out maybe half of Hoenn, at the most considering it's so large, and that's if it had struck land at all, it could've sunk into the ocean. Not to mention that M-Rayquaza is shown in the cutscene to be longer than the meteor and about 1/3 as wide... so it was much smaller at that point and would've been absolutely no danger to anyone... Zinnia is about as dumb as she is vague.

That part about the meteor really bothered me. Megaquaza apparently is 10 meters long. It's somehow longer than this "6-mile wide" asteroid. Either the people who made this cutscene didn't take any of that into account, knew about it but went for "rule of cool + graphics limitations", or this asteroid was really less than 10 meters wide and would've burnt up in the atmosphere anyways. ... That said, who knows if the Pokemon world's atmosphere affects space rocks the same way ours does...

That part about the meteor really bothered me. Megaquaza apparently is 10 meters long. It's somehow longer than this "6-mile wide" asteroid. Either the people who made this cutscene didn't take any of that into account, knew about it but went for "rule of cool + graphics limitations", or this asteroid was really less than 10 meters wide and would've burnt up in the atmosphere anyways. ... That said, who knows if the Pokemon world's atmosphere affects space rocks the same way ours does...

I think the best explanation is that everybody in-game overreacted and the meteor wasn't that large at all. Let's be honest, it was just a plot device to get Rayquaza and Deoxys anyways.

knew about it but went for "rule of cool + graphics limitations"

Gonna' put my money down on this one.

this

i mean, proportions are kinda relative in the pokémon games (look at the game models of characters)

True. But it's one thing to say a meteor is 6 miles wide, then have a screenshot that shows two of its dimensions as 70 height by 70 length. It seems highly unlikely that a meteor's dimensions would be 70H x 70L x 31,680W (6 miles in feet). There's suspension of disbelief and then there's inconsistency.

Rayquaza_Meteor.png

Last edited:
knew about it but went for "rule of cool + graphics limitations"

Gonna' put my money down on this one.

this

i mean, proportions are kinda relative in the pokémon games (look at the game models of characters)

True. But it's one thing to say a meteor is 6 miles wide, then have a screenshot that shows two of its dimensions as 70 height by 70 length. It seems highly unlikely that a meteor's dimensions would be 70H x 70L x 31,680W (6 miles in feet). There's suspension of disbelief and then there's inconsistency.

Rayquaza_Meteor.png

omg it's just for dramatic effect - no need to get serious over graphics in a game. It didn't have to look realistic, and it was still cool anyways.

omg it's just for dramatic effect - no need to get serious over graphics in a game. It didn't have to look realistic, and it was still cool anyways.

Haha, you have a point. I've developed a bad habit of over-thinking this kind of stuff, and something like a 6-mile long meteor being outsized by Megaquaza set off some sirens. Preposterous, but I'll deal with it...

Right now, I'm playing the Delta Episode--I'm up to where Zinnia's about to go after Maxie--and I can honestly say I find her a bit grating. On one hand, I understand what she's doing and why. But on the other, I want to grab her by the shoulders and yell, "Why don't you actually tell us what the slag is going on so we can HELP?!"

And jeez, that pose she strikes before she battles you just creeps me right the hell out. >_<

I guess it's kind of a love-hate thing for me too. I think she's certainly an interesting character, and she appears to like you(the player) and views you as an ally of sorts. But she also has character traits that are questionable, such as stealing Key Stones from people(even the bad guys) and having complete disregard for other people's approach to a problem. I classify her as either Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral, but I'm leaning more towards the latter. I will always dislike certain evil team leaders than her, though. *coughGhetsisBastardcough*

I do hope though that we see her in a future game, mostly because she's still full of mystery and whether or not her belief in alternate dimensions/realities will eventually play out in a future main plot.

I just finished the Delta Episode in Omega Ruby earlier today. It was a lot of fun and riding Mega Rayquaza to destroy the asteroid in space was as ridiculously awesome as I hoped it would be and then some.

As for Zinnia herself, I didn't like her. I'm not sure if I can say that I hated her, but I did find her attitude kind of grating and annoying. I can understand wanting to summon Rayquaza, but she went about it in a really poor fashion. I didn't like that she was suddenly thrown in as a Team Magma/Aqua member at the last minute. There was no sign of her prior to that scene and it does make her feel a bit too tacked on when they could have included her throughout the storyline instead. It's not like they didn't make significant changes with the storyline from the original games with the inclusion of Mega Evolution. Trying to summon Rayquaza through Primal Groundon/Kyogre wasn't particularly smart given how easily it could have backfired. Then she had to go around stealing key stones, even getting physical with Brendan/May, got on a high horse with Steven and the scientists for their plan, destroyed what they thought was their only hope and was banking on Rayquaza choosing her to save the world without any kind of backup. She would have easily caused two major disasters if it wasn't for the player character being there.

I understand that she was worried about an alternate world getting hit by the asteroid, which is all well and good, but she didn't provide any evidence for that. It sounds like she did seem at least aware of this possibility, but because of her nature of basically doing everything herself, or at least wanting to do so, she didn't tell anyone about this. It's typical for a character to not reveal everything right off the bat, but there's usually a good reason for it and I don't think that we got that with Zinnia.

I did feel kind of bad for her because she clearly had gone through some trauma and it most likely affected her emotionally and psychological. It doesn't condone her behavior, but it could make her more sympathetic. I don't think she ends up as sympathetic as she could because they're pretty vague with her backstory. If they fleshed it out more during the Delta Episode or preferably started to establishing it throughout the main storyline to give more buildup to the Delta Episode, it might have worked more. I actually wouldn't mind if she returned in a future game as a villain since her "ends justify the means" kind of attitude gave off more of a villain vibe than being an anti-hero in my opinion. It could help to make her more interesting, but I don't know if they'd go ahead and do that.

I didn't like that she was suddenly thrown in as a Team Magma/Aqua member at the last minute. There was no sign of her prior to that scene and it does make her feel a bit too tacked on when they could have included her throughout the storyline instead.

According to her Bulbapedia page, we have. First time is in Petalburgh Woods with that little cutscene as you're leaving it after defeating your first Aqua/Magma grunt. The second one is the Mossdeep cutscene that we get after you defeat/catch one of the Primals.

According to her Bulbapedia page, we have. First time is in Petalburgh Woods with that little cutscene as you're leaving it after defeating your first Aqua/Magma grunt. The second one is the Mossdeep cutscene that we get after you defeat/catch one of the Primals.

I remember the Mossdeep cutscene, which was the scene I was referring to, but I completely forgot about the Petalburgh Woods cutscene. I thought that was just a generic female Grunt since I think we only saw a side view of her there. Even with that in mind, she still feels rather tacked on since she doesn't have any impact on the storyline until the Delta Episode starts.

I tend to like anti-heroes, so I really enjoyed Zinnia as a character. Pokemon generally has this purely Black/White morality and I thought it was refreshing to see someone in the grey area for once. I do understand why many of you wouldn't like her though.

Above all of that though, what I like the most about Zinnia is that awesome battle theme. It's one of, if not the best theme there ever was in a Pokemon game imo.

I tend to like anti-heroes, so I really enjoyed Zinnia as a character. Pokemon generally has this purely Black/White morality and I thought it was refreshing to see someone in the grey area for once. I do understand why many of you wouldn't like her though.

Above all of that though, what I like the most about Zinnia is that awesome battle theme. It's one of, if not the best theme there ever was in a Pokemon game imo.

"Evil isn't born, it's made. And so is good." I have no problem with gray characters. I personally love villains who start out good and then through some tragedy or act of God, become evil. But in every single case, you find out why they're gray, why you should sympathize with them, and more often than not you end up rooting for the villain!

We just didn't get that with Zinnia. She's not disliked because she's gray. She's disliked because she's poorly written. "I'm gonna do everything my way and I'm not telling you jack!" That's a horrible attitude to have when the entire world is in peril.

I think that N is a much better example of moral grayness than Zinnia was, but it also helps that they actually focused on his character throughout B/W so that we could see how his mindset about humans and Pokemon started, understand it, see him a more sympathetic light and then see him grow over the course of the storyline, as well as in the sequels. We don't really get much of that with Zinnia. Part of it is does come down to how she was only there for the Delta Episode and if N was only around for a post-E4 storyline, he probably wouldn't have turned out as well either, but even with that amount of time, she suffers from more bad writing than I think N did. She makes a lot of terrible decisions, doesn't get as much punishment for them as she probably should have and her wanting to find a new beginning at the end didn't feel as strong as it could have been because we just a vague backstory for her just a few moments before. I like morally gray characters too since they can be really interesting if done well, but I don't think that Zinnia was done that well.

I think that N is a much better example of moral grayness than Zinnia was, but it also helps that they actually focused on his character throughout B/W so that we could see how his mindset about humans and Pokemon started, understand it, see him a more sympathetic light and then see him grow over the course of the storyline, as well as in the sequels. We don't really get much of that with Zinnia. Part of it is does come down to how she was only there for the Delta Episode and if N was only around for a post-E4 storyline, he probably wouldn't have turned out as well either, but even with that amount of time, she suffers from more bad writing than I think N did. She makes a lot of terrible decisions, doesn't get as much punishment for them as she probably should have and her wanting to find a new beginning at the end didn't feel as strong as it could have been because we just a vague backstory for her just a few moments before. I like morally gray characters too since they can be really interesting if done well, but I don't think that Zinnia was done that well.

I've actually never considered N as a gray character, much less a villain. He truly believed in his heart that humans didn't deserve to bond with Pokémon and went about it in a non-violent way, and was kind to all he met, even bothering to listen to opposing viewpoints. Even his actions aren't really all that gray, especially when looked at through a real world perspective of how animal abuse is unfortunately rampant and underpunished.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom