• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers So...is there anyone who DIDN'T like Zinnia?

I'm a bit mixed with her at the moment, too. There were a couple aspects about her that I did like and at the same time others that just bugged me. I think we haven't seen her fully explored yet and, based on the ending of the Delta Episode, there's a good chance we will in a sequel (i.e. her motives, backstory, etc.). So I'm trying not lean toward any end of the spectrum until that happens.

I'm a bit mixed with her at the moment, too. There were a couple aspects about her that I did like and at the same time others that just bugged me. I think we haven't seen her fully explored yet and, based on the ending of the Delta Episode, there's a good chance we will in a sequel (i.e. her motives, backstory, etc.). So I'm trying not lean toward any end of the spectrum until that happens.

Her backstory and quite a few other elements would be perfect for a prequel game taking place before Hoenn and Kanto (the timeline's earliest known events).

We still need the Mew scientists, Lt. Surge's war, and Zinnia's backstory, not to mention Sea Mauville. There's quite a few things we need to explore in the timeline.

Her backstory and quite a few other elements would be perfect for a prequel game taking place before Hoenn and Kanto (the timeline's earliest known events).

We still need the Mew scientists, Lt. Surge's war, and Zinnia's backstory, not to mention Sea Mauville. There's quite a few things we need to explore in the timeline.

I agree, we should see all those explored at some point.

I agree, we should see all those explored at some point.

Especially Lt. Surge's war. The Pokéworld seems far more peaceful than our real world, only having about 4 or 5 known wars. His is not only the most recent, it also is the only one to include a real life country; the United States, as Surge is the Lightning American. They could really do a lot with the world building and lore if they wanted to.

Hell, Surge could even be an American warrior from our real world transported into the Pokémon world years before the series only to serve in some war with Electric types...

Zinnia was so-so for me. Sure, her character was cool and all but generally she acted half her age. Infinity Energy on the other hand...the name drives my crazy because it reminds me of all the BS youtube videos on it. :p

The problem was not the character itself, but the length of the Delta Episode. Three hours instead of the just one hour the Delta Episode has would have given GF more time to flesh out Zinnia and maker her sympathetic.

But because of the short length of the Delta Episode, there wasn't enough time to flesh out her character. It's a shame too because she's rather interesting.

I like her theme though, reminds of something out of the Mario and Luigi series.

I have quite mixed feelings about Zinnia - she's cool and I'm able to understand her attitudes etc. But also she gave me creeps since she reminds me of a very unhealthy person I used to know; this is more about her facial expression and the creepy animation before you battle her, however.

Also one thing which I liked about Zinnia - her and Aster's deep connection.

The only thing I really didn't like is he animation at the beginning of each battle. It just makes her look so.... what's the word I'm looking for?

She has a chosen one complex and its funny Gamefreak didnt make her undergo a mental breakdown when Rayquaza chose you over her.

She has a chosen one complex and its funny Gamefreak didnt make her undergo a mental breakdown when Rayquaza chose you over her.

Messiah Complex is a term you're looking and yeah, I was expecting her to have a breakdown after all what transpired. She's a teenager from the looks of it, she sure does act like one. Dat teenage arrogance lol, reminds me of my younger days when I was no different, except I was far more mentally stable lol

Last edited:
Messiah Complex is a term you're looking and yeah, I was expecting her to have a breakdown after all what transpired. She's a teenager from the looks of it, she sure does act like one.

I agree with this, she acts like a teenager.
I think a lot of teens have this attitude more or less, even some grown-ups do, but it's a natural part of human self-development. The problem is when it goes too far and becomes a Messiah Complex as mentioned above. I was expecting Zinnia to have a mental breakdown too, so I'm positively surprised she didn't and took the outcome quite well.

Also, even as Zinnia has a very different past, she reminds me of N somehow.

She was an interesting character. Not the most memorable, but I thought she was decent. I liked her a lot more than N. She seemed a bit more interesting and I love her character design. Yeah, she was a bit arrogant, but meh. I liked her.

With that said, her story did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong as I loved the Delta Episode and the change of pace from what was already seen in Ruby and Sapphire. It had a few moments that made me laugh and felt genuine. BUT. She felt like such a convenient excuse to shoehorn the whole Mega Evolution story into the game, and by this point, I was already sick of it. X and Y didn't shut the hell up about the concept and by then, I got it. Yes, it was innovative, but it was hardly innovative enough to keep yakking about it. In my opinion, I thought double battles were more innovative and you didn't hear RSE talk non-stop about it.

That was pretty much my only problem. Other than that, I like her.

The only thing I really didn't like is he animation at the beginning of each battle. It just makes her look so.... what's the word I'm looking for?

Feral? Disturbed? Insane?

I vote "all of the above".

It would be interesting though to see her make a cameo in a future game. I wonder if her personality would change, if she's supposed to be going on a "new journey" to find herself or what-have-you.

I really really really like her design, one of my favorites in the series by a huge margin. I also like her battle intro, which makes she look kinda crazy and I always had a thing for mentally unstable characters. At the same time, I hate that she is yet another Dragon-type trainer and her dialogues are very hit or miss. I will say though, that compared to most Hoenn characters, Zinnia is a fantastic one. I loved Alpha Sapphire but most of the characters in Hoenn still are extremely unmemorable, sadly. DPPt and BW/B2W2 still reign when it comes to characters, it seems. Anyways, in short, she is a cool character and a great addition to the remake. I can see why some might dislike her, though.

Also, on the subject of Lt. Surge's war, I hope they don't ever go back to this subject, because nothing good will come from mixing the Pokémon World with our "real world". Lets just pretend all the stuff about Lt. Surge being an american was a mistake Game Freak committed back in the day.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom