• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So May is probably going to be the only female companion not to appear this series, and she hasn't appeared for 14 years since 2008

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
So with the confirmation of Serena returning, and the new opening making it likely that Dawn and Iris will return again, and we're getting another SM Alola episode, we're pretty much seeing every female lead get multiple returns this gen. I'm sure Misty will appear again soon too for the same reason.

Dogasu wrote an article showing Kaori is unlikely to return to the role and since since writers don't seem to want to recast her the writers are probably never going to have her appear again. We're apparently getting a flashback of May this Friday since the leaker was right about the Steven reference but that's it.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but it will look jarring that every single female lead is going to get to return this series except for one. Also remember how when ORAS came out in 2014 the writers didn't bring May back when her entire gen was remade and she got a new design in the games too likely because of the same health issues of Kaori. Meanwhile both Misty and Dawn have gotten returns every time their gens were remade (FR/LG and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, and the DP remakes and Arceus) whereas May was ignored during all the ORAS promotion. So even when Hoenn was remade and May was in the spotlight again in the games, they didn't even bother to give her a reference or flashback.

Journey's is probably ending and if that's the case if May can't come back during the 25th anniversary of the anime or Hoenn remakes, obviously nothing in the future would make the writers bring her back. So it's looking more and more like May will wind up being the most forgotten female lead of the anime overall due to her lack of exposure over 14 years and probably the rest of the series. I wish Kaori the best of luck in her health issues.

We have a few options

1. She doesn't return.
2. She returns but is not voiced either in still frames in flashbacks or watching battles on a screen.
3. KAORI gives her approval to be recast/gets recasted anyways
4. We deal with an alternate universe version of May who does not need to be voiced by KAORI
5. KAORI makes a surprising reprisal as May despite her illness.

Best case scenario is still frames in a flashback.

I mean still frames in a flashback still isn't a return and she might be referenced next episode. May got a flashback in the last BW episode with all the companions but nobody considers that a return.

It would still mean May had no real return like all the other female companions since 2008

There could also be a voiced flashback, or a cameo appearance/a small new appearance. I don't know the extent of her injury, she stopped doing VA stuff because of it ofc, but maybe it wouldn't be a huge difficulty to say a few things??
The problem is that voice acting, for the most part, is a lot more than just "saying a few things". She'd have to get into character again (for the first time in over 14 years) to convincingly do May's voice; it's not as simple as reading lines off of a script. Even for a small appearance (arguably especially for a small appearance), it likely wouldn't be worth the strain on her vocal cords.

I love May and the thought of never seeing her again is so sad to me :( Like after we didn't see any returning characters in XY I pretty much gave up hope of ever seeing anyone pre-XY again, but then Misty and Brock's reappearance in SM and especially all these old characters coming back in Journeys makes it sadder knowing that May is one of the only old characters we're most likely never going to see again. Ah well, time to rewatch AG again I guess.

Where is it confirmed Serena is returning? The first of last week's episode didn't even have one line of dialogue referencing her, Tracey got a better deal in the first Project Mew episode by getting exactly that!

Serena's confirmed now there's scans all over twitter.

Anyway I find it interesting Koharu got inspired by both Dawn and now Serena about contests. That's kind of what makes May's role feel redundant, Koharu doesn't need to be inspired by 3 coordinators. The sad thing about May is so many later female companions have the same or similar goal that there's nothing May can even do that hasn't already been done with the other two. Serena is still doing contests in Hoenn and now Koharu has the ORAS contest outfit.

So May will get a flashback reference in this ep most likely but her character is never going to show up.

Journey's is probably ending and if that's the case if May can't come back during the 25th anniversary of the anime or Hoenn remakes, obviously nothing in the future would make the writers bring her back. So it's looking more and more like May will wind up being the most forgotten female lead of the anime overall due to her lack of exposure over 14 years and probably the rest of the series. I wish Kaori the best of luck in her health issues.

- Oh man, there's no reason to be so negative, hope is the last to die. I don't know :unsure:, maybe we can do something, like rise a hashtag on social media asking for the character's return. (y)

- And well, considering it's been 14 years since the character's last appearance :cry:, I don't think it would be a big deal if they replaced the original VA.

-----------------------------------------

- Now, honestly, I believe May's return may be hampered by the fact that she committed the crime of stealing my heart. o_O

- However, I have already submitted a pledge case to the Pokémon Company's court releasing her from the obligation to return it. I hope that, with that, they return the character to us. :LOL:

Last edited:
- Oh man, there's no reason to be so negative, hope is the last to die. I don't know :unsure:, maybe we can do something, like rise a hashtag on social media asking for the character's return. (y)

- And well, considering it's been 14 years since the character's last appearance :cry:, I don't think it would be a big deal if they replaced the original VA.

-----------------------------------------

- Now, honestly, I believe May's return may be hampered by the fact that she committed the crime of stealing my heart. o_O

- However, I have already submitted a pledge case to the Pokémon Company's court releasing her from the obligation to return it. I hope that, with that, they return the character to us. :LOL:
Yeah, I still have hope she could return, never lose hope! :giggle: After all, this series has done lots of things no one thought the Pokemon anime would never do, so it's not impossible for her to return. And if they have to change her voice actress to do it, then so be it. Wouldn't really bother me, personally.

Gasp! You too? Yeah, that's one of the reasons I want May to return, not just because I'm a Hoenn baby through and through who started the Pokemon games with Gen 3, but also because of the fact I had a crush on May. :love: She was my favorite Pokegirl for a long time partly (mostly?) because of that. (She's still my 2nd favorite, though! Misty's number 3.)

May is pretty much the (reverse) Mr. Hooper of the Pokemon anime. Does anyone still remember the episode of Sesame Street when Mr. Hooper died?

Last edited:
Yeah but it's in the context of the Wallace cup so it was for the past. I was hoping we'd have Lisia mention May as a famous coordinator from Hoenn and see on screen showing an update to her but ah well. So May still has no real follow-up since 2008.

If they really did pull off a reverse Mr. Hooper on May, then do you think characters will probably refer her to via the past tense now?

Yeah but it's in the context of the Wallace cup so it was for the past. I was hoping we'd have Lisia mention May as a famous coordinator from Hoenn and see on screen showing an update to her but ah well. So May still has no real follow-up since 2008.

Not only was it not explained who Hoenn Queen was, for that matter, May wasn't referenced beyond her own game attire. Her flashback was also very bad, it just constitutes a static scene that doesn't even highlight her, it's not even possible to see her face, since she is represented in profile, unlike Dawn, who occupies a major part of the image. And finally, Journey's art didn't do her justice, her depction looks strange and bad when comparing to the faithfulness of Dawn's depiction and the improvements in Serena's design.

For me, her flashback was a disservice to the fans. Much better if they left just the Wallace quote. Thus, those who did not know her would feel more motivated to search the internet and be presented with a superior depiction of the character.

Last edited:
If they really did pull off a reverse Mr. Hooper on May, then do you think characters will probably refer her to via the past tense now?
I'm not sure what "reverse" is supposed to mean in this context, but the thing with Mr. Hooper is that his actor actually passed away. It was thus considered respectful for his character's farewell episode to similarly deal with the subject of death.

Outright killing off May because of her voice actress would be the opposite of respectful. Her voice actress has spasmodic dysphonia. The key word is "has", present tense. She's still alive and fighting through the unfortunate hand life has dealt her. Equating her condition to death would be erasing the struggles she's still facing day by day because of it, and how she's choosing to persevere regardless.

I also feel either way the door has closed. Koharu's arc has come to some form of conclusion at least for now till she decides what she wants to do, we already had a Glaceon episode, and Koharu doesn't need to be inspired by 3 coordinators.

I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but Dawn and Serena already did any possible role May would have, so there's nothing she can do that they already haven't done better. Sure she can get a cameo unrelated to Koharu or contests but that was always unlikely.

Iris is in the PWC, the Alola girls are visited when Alola is, Misty could get a Kanto nostalgia ep again, and Dawn and Serena have their coordinator role with Koharu and/or DP legendary arcs in Dawn's case. May just doesn't have any of that going for her so it's hard to figure out any role for her.

I also feel either way the door has closed. Koharu's arc has come to some form of conclusion at least for now till she decides what she wants to do, we already had a Glaceon episode, and Koharu doesn't need to be inspired by 3 coordinators.

I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but Dawn and Serena already did any possible role May would have, so there's nothing she can do that they already haven't done better. Sure she can get a cameo unrelated to Koharu or contests but that was always unlikely.

I believe we all here have a pretty good idea that, at least for now, May is not likely to show up.

So, unless you're part of the production of the anime, could I be spared an unnecessary plethora of justifications as to why the character is unlikely to appear?

Thank you for your consideration, and please forgive me for any harsh words and any offense.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom