• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So, Pokémon 2019 is just SwSh anime after all

They'll never going to advertise Galar?

Not after it's no longer new, no. The anime has never focused on anything that isn't new.

Unless there are more Galar games to sell us later on. But seeing how they treated Sword & Shield, they won't treat other Galar stuff much better.

I get the feeling that the two Galar episodes were so bland because the writing staff just didn't want to put too much effort into writing them. Those episodes just seemed like easy ways for the writers to introduce Go's Scorbunny and that giant Snorlax.

So, what exactly are they doing right now then?

Just throwing crap at the wall. It's clear at this point that the anime is a turd in a toilet bowl that's already been flushed; it just hasn't finished circling the drain yet.

Between the movies no longer having anything to do with the anime starting last gen and the anime no longer having anything to do with the games starting this gen, it's clear that they're desperate to milk as much money out of this thing as they can.

Just throwing crap at the wall. It's clear at this point that the anime is a turd in a toilet bowl that's already been flushed; it just hasn't finished circling the drain yet.

Between the movies no longer having anything to do with the anime starting last gen and the anime no longer having anything to do with the games starting this gen, it's clear that they're desperate to milk as much money out of this thing as they can.

It's been only 5 episodes and with the exception of maybe episode 3 all of them have been decent/standard, what an exaggeration (and gross analogy) + the anime will still promote the games, just like the past 22 years, just in this case both Go and Sword & Shield by virtue of promoting the 8 gen mons.

I don't share the pessimism about the new series at all, and the latest episode didn't feel as if it could have taken place anywhere. It felt like a British countryside with a giant monster that other regions aren't exactly known for.

But I also don't get the desire for a new series to focus primarily on Galar. Maybe that's easy for me to say as someone who doesn't care for the region, but I know what to expect from yet another badge quest and it really doesn't matter if Ash wins or loses the league this time around. I want to see him take a different challenge involving some of his reserves, and I want Go to meet old Pokemon in their natural habitats rather than being crammed into the Wild Area with random weather changes. I also want an original climax instead of a retelling of the games' mediocre one.

But I also don't get the desire for a new series to focus primarily on Galar. Maybe that's easy for me to say as someone who doesn't care for the region, but I know what to expect from yet another badge quest and it really doesn't matter if Ash wins or loses the league this time around. I want to see him take a different challenge involving some of his reserves, and I want Go to meet old Pokemon in their natural habitats rather than being crammed into the Wild Area with random weather changes. I also want an original climax instead of a retelling of the games' mediocre one.

Part of it might be due to how quite a few fans wanted a return to the more traditional badge quest. The Gyms and Gym Leaders in Galar are overall really cool in my opinion and I can see why fans wanted Ash to travel around the region in order to battle them. I'm not sure how I'd rank it compared to other regions, but I love Galar and seeing some locations in the anime would be a real treat. After the Island Challenge was treated as an afterthought during SM, it would be nice to have proper Gym battles return, if only because I think that they'd have to actively try to make Gym battles even less of a priority compared to the Island Challenge. I don't think that the return to the more standard format would have been a bad idea, especially when I really don't think that winning the Alola League is the be all end all of Leagues for Ash.

As cool as it would be to see Ash use his reserves, I'm not sure if I see it happening, at least beyond some of his more popular older Pokemon. I'm not sure how much of a benefit Gou will get from seeing Pokemon in their home region instead. I like the games' climax. It wasn't the highlight of the games, but I thought it was pretty engaging and it still generally worked for what it was going for. But I don't think that it would work in the anime simply because I don't think that they'd provide a good amount of buildup for it. It would probably turn out similar to the Nebby arc with trying to cover the climax within a handful of episodes and that would work even less for the Sword/Shield climax than it did for the one in Sun/Moon.

Part of it might be due to how quite a few fans wanted a return to the more traditional badge quest. The Gyms and Gym Leaders in Galar are overall really cool in my opinion and I can see why fans wanted Ash to travel around the region in order to battle them. I'm not sure how I'd rank it compared to other regions, but I love Galar and seeing some locations in the anime would be a real treat. After the Island Challenge was treated as an afterthought during SM, it would be nice to have proper Gym battles return, if only because I think that they'd have to actively try to make Gym battles even less of a priority compared to the Island Challenge. I don't think that the return to the more standard format would have been a bad idea, especially when I really don't think that winning the Alola League is the be all end all of Leagues for Ash.

As cool as it would be to see Ash use his reserves, I'm not sure if I see it happening, at least beyond some of his more popular older Pokemon. I'm not sure how much of a benefit Gou will get from seeing Pokemon in their home region instead. I like the games' climax. It wasn't the highlight of the games, but I thought it was pretty engaging and it still generally worked for what it was going for. But I don't think that it would work in the anime simply because I don't think that they'd provide a good amount of buildup for it. It would probably turn out similar to the Nebby arc with trying to cover the climax within a handful of episodes and that would work even less for the Sword/Shield climax than it did for the one in Sun/Moon.
For me personally, its a whole lot more than the badge quest. Not sure if this fits in with how other people feel at all or not, but I really miss the group travel dynamic, how camaraderie was built during a longstanding adventure feels a lot different to me than it did in the school arc and how it is feeling so far (albeit very early) in the new series with a "home base". Most of the groups really got to feeling like families, and a lot of fun random adventures would pop up. It fleshed out regions far more than the games did, by making routes and cities realistic sizes, creating anime exclusive locations, and exploring game locations more in depth. The traveling built on itself, the entire series was a journey, giving a sense of adventure for the entire time, building trust between the members of the group and their Pokemon, having to overcome obstacles, meeting new people on the journey, I could go on and on. The gym quest could be seen as a tool to keep everyone moving, at least to me it was always very secondary for my enjoyment, the various adventures (or even the fun days off) were always the most enjoyable portions of any series to me. I will say I have enjoyed Ash and Go's dynamic so far, but the groups of 3-4 just offered a different dynamic, sure it wasn't always perfect as far as who interacted with who, but a lot of the overall dynamics were different (and better in my opinion) due to having more than 2 members. A series that bounces around constantly is really jarring to an overall sense of the journey. It doesn't mirror a Pokemon journey anymore, which is a shame. The anime always fueled my interest in the game, the region, and the Pokemon. I would often imagine myself and my team from the game in similar situations as the anime crew was in, which really makes playing the games more fun as well. I also feel a lot more personal growth occurs in the characters when they have to be responsible for themselves. I guess its more realistic the way they treat the main characters more like their age in these new series, but as a kid I didn't want to see my favorite tv characters treated like kids, I loved the freedom Pokemon had and the growth that came from being self responsible over a journey. I remember feeling so annoyed during the DP summer camp arc with curfews and what-not, considering how much the group had accomplished on their own. Now the current series still has a lot of freedom, but coming home to the same bed every night just really takes a lot away in my opinion. In older series it really did feel like anything could happen at any time, at least to me. I really never felt any of it got stale, but again, I may be in the minority on that one.

I'm not saying I don't like this series, its still way too early and so far I've actually enjoyed most episodes in a singular basis, but I will say that I still would have hugely preferred a return to the original format. What I always loved about past series is I felt you could watch any single episode and enjoy it, but you would enjoy it even more if you watched the entire series in order. Its not just due to inter-episode continuity, its also due to the growing sense of adventure, growing of the characters and Pokemon and their relationships with each other, and the growing sense of achievement as the group is able to overcome obstacles, and improve in multiple facets of life while also achieving various goals. Exploring an entire region is exciting, being able to look forward to favorite parts of the game/region is really exciting as well (unless its Santalune Forest and you never get it), who knows if we'll ever see some of the amazing places in Galar - please Glimwood Tangle. So maybe the new series fits 2019 and the target audience better, but for me it will likely never quite measure up to a true Pokemon anime adventure.

How in the world that the anime having nothing to do with the games is a sign that they're desperate for money? Isn't that the opposite?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom