• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So what do you actually *like* about Best Wishes?

I like it because it's Pokemon, but the stuff I *like* over other seasons...
Uh...
I can't think of anything. Cilan, I guess? He's fun. Most Cilan stuff is fun - Burgundy, his Pokemon...
I guess the animation is nice, too, but I'm not really the type of guy to go "oh, wow, that's stunning" unless it's really stunning like some of the movies are.

Then why are you posting in this thread?

Because they have an acceptable answer pertaining to the thread's interest and topic. Their post is more relevant than yours.

Guys,

Let's get back on topic and discuss what you like about Best Wishes. If you think that someone's post is pointless, don't respond to it and report it.

Thank you

Ever since the infinite postponement of the Plasma plot, [BP=BW033]Irisgate[/BP], and the Don Battle Disaster (RIP Antonio, nevar 4get), Best Wishes! has been in dire straits amongst fans.

omg I forgot Antonio. He was awesome. It'svestingtimeshipping FTW

But on what you said, I sort of agree and disagree. To me, you've hit the nail on the head about something. Most of the negativity towards the saga really comes from episodes spanning between BW023 and BW042 (I won't go over my opinion on why that is, it's been discussed to death), but even then there were some gems in there like the Hitomoshi episode, Gamagaru's capture episode, Fishing Sommelier episode, and the Archen episode. Episodes before then and since then have generally been well received starting with the Nyasu arc, the Raimon City arc, the Adeku episode, the Pod Episode, both gyms all received praise. In my opinion, BW outside of that bunch of episodes (again, there were some gems between BW023-BW042) has been good, not stellar, but definitely worth watching.

I'm still having fun each week because some characters, some Pokémon still make it fun.

Last edited:
I liked almost everything for this saga.8D So far it's my favorite, w/ AG behind. I'll list my favorites

-Ash's new look/outfit
-Iris not being another coordinator THANK CELESTIA while having an interesting goal.:3
-Dento being the best Brock replacement so far.8D
-Ash's Pokemon having a personality except for Tranquil, Palpitoad, Swadloon, and Tepig
-The new evolution animation, rather than going all white, it goes all blue which looks cool
-the coolers look brighter compared to older sagas
-TR doesn't appear always to troll Ash and Co. every episode
-Fillers are fun, fun, fun!
-Humor being back
-Pikachu's Power reset has finally been shown via Zekrom
-Also Bianca being a funny rival.:3
-The fact that the sidekicks have rivals.X3
-This saga's proven on how fresh a saga should be
-TR having a big role
-Ash keeping May's Teddiursa doll in BW001
-Everyone's reaction when Ash was stated to be 10
-Last but not least, Oshawott, I enjoy his personality but I don't take his losing well....I really hope he can evolve to develop on his maturity. it beats having a fire starter to do the evolving....-____-

I just like the comedy. It took a while for it to grow on me since it was different to DP.

Personally I like the english dub. So with me it's all about Black and white.

The things I watch for is Ash's pokemon, Axew, Ash who I think is very funny and my most favourite character still, bianca and Cilan. Anything with comedy really.

DP will always be my most favourite series overall but BW is shaping up to be a good comedy series at the very least and could potentially end up my 2nd most favourite series in the long run providing it keeps it up.=)

Things I like about BW??

-Faster pace. Full Stop. Nothing makes me happier than to see Gym battles with less than 10 episode gaps between them. Lets keep this up writers!! The gap between 3 and 4 was annoying, but it still had a lot of good episodes in there too to make up for it, including the tournament and the Meowth saga.
-Dento is freaking awesome and ten million times better than Brock ever was.
-Ash catching more pokemon and rotating his team (although they're still pimping the starters a bit too much, especially one in particular ><)
-I really loved the *idea* of a more serious badass Team Rocket from the beginning. While I don't think they've done a perfect job with the idea, particularly in not having them around enough for my tastes, they've still had many cool moments so far. The two parter subway plan is among my favorite episodes of BW
-I've definitly enjoyed all the rivals, except Shooti. And I really liked the Don battle tourny.
-In general I like that they're taking risks. Removing Brock from the show, attempting to have Ash rotate a larger team instead of having him stick to the same pokemon, making Team Rocket more of a threat and having them involved in more multi-episode plans, these are all things that I think the show could have benefitted from trying sooner (especially the Brock thing ^^).

Cilan and badass!Team Rocket. And I guess the art is okay as well.

Best Wishes certainly improved a lot in certain regards, such as:

Children actually acting like children: Perhaps one of the worst offending aspects of DP was how everybody tried to a act like adults, even though they clearly weren't. Of course, everybody got what they deserved eventually, but it was still kinda infruiating.

Treatment of secondary rivals: DP pretty much shat on the face of secondary rivals, except Jun to an extent, who got screwed over by his late appearance and battling provess. Whereas in BW, all of the secondary rivals have not only appeared in the first 40 or so episodes(in DP, only Kengo and Naoshi appeared that early, and Musashi became the secondary contest main character, which was actually pretty awesome), but also are getting proper screentime, good character interactions, good backstories, interesting goals, interesting personalities and except Cabernet to a degree, are treated as actual threats as the show goes on.

Baby Pokémon are actually treated as babies: All of the previous Pokémon's baby characteristics(except Togepi whose characterization was simply the fact it was a baby) were overshadowed by secondary gimmicks, and all of them were treated as mini powerhouses, without having really strong moves, but in BW, the babies actually act like actual babies, and are only strong because of the fact they have powerful moves.

Consistently entertaining fillers: Whereas DP had only few very entertaining fillers, with many meh and some boring ones, BW's most fillers are actually consistently entertaining, very much helped by the lack of recycled TR plots, and writers being forced to use NEW Pokémon species' gimmicks to make them antagonists. The treatment of most species is of course less than desirable, but eh.

and of course, animation, backgrounds and coloring. Aside from that it is sort of a mixed bag. Yes, the group has better interactions with each other, but beyond Satoshi they are all comic reliefs and are treated as such(ie, not really developed and kept rather static). Yes, characterization of Pokémon is better(except Kenhallow), but we either barely see the Pokémon, or barely see their character traits, or in Gamagaru's case they are completely changed from what we saw in their debuts. Yes, battles look more amazing, but "I'm stuck to the ground and can't get out and I am going to get smashed by a move that I have type resistance". Yes, certain Pokémon are closer to their dex entries(Hitomoshi), but certain ones that are actually pretty competitively viable are treated rather horrendously with varying degrees(Vuljina, Pendror, Dentula etc.) due to their similiarities to past Pokémon who were also treated badly.

Another thing I remembered that I like about BW: Pikachu's new Iron Tail animation. It now actually looks like a tail made of Iron instead of that overused glowing effect.

- I like the choices of what Pokemon Ash ended up catching in this saga. Many such as Palpitoad, Tepig, Oshawott, and Krokorok are my favorite lines of this region.
- I like the choices of what Pokemon Ash's rivals were given in this saga. Again, many are my favorite Pokemon lines.
- Although the gym battles have a different feel than some of Ash's more experienced gym battles, most I feel have been handled very well. Although I wish not all of the Evolutions so far were in gym battles.
- I like the developmental progress of the baby Pokemon Axew and Scraggy. They are given experiences in minor battles with each other and get to interact with the world although they make mistakes that young ones would normally make getting into trouble.
- Team Rocket only being used for plot reasons in this saga. It has made the adventure feel more organized and move along better. They act more like the bad guys most people would expect.
- I really like how different each of the filler episodes have been. They've been very comical and well thought out.
- The rivals in this saga have gotten much development in this saga.

I think that Best Wishes is a pretty good entry for the series.

-The animation is a little more consistent. I think that they increased the frame rate even more, seeing how some battle animations and characters move more fluidly than DP.
-The recycled TR plots were getting old to me. I'm glad that most of that was gone in place of antagonistic pokemon, which was a nice addition that hasn't been used often.
-Most COTD's actually do something rather than let the protagonists do everything for them.

The Don battle tournaments are a great idea.

DP started it with the tag battle tournament but sadly that was the only mini-tournament in the entire saga. (not counting the not-shown Twinleaf festival).

What I like about Best Wishes is that it has the essence of Kanto but with a twist. Also I like how Team Rocket are not in every single episode. I love Team Rocket but they were starting to get repetitive.

While Best Wishes isn't as good as it could have been, its still a decent way to pass time. Its better than Johto due to the extra rivals, Cilan, and better pokemon on the group.

I don't know exactly, but I just really like it. Iris is a very interesting character, with her backstory about Axew and Excadrill. Emolga is quite cute as well. Team Rocket not showing up in every episode, and actually being in the shadows thinking of plans that are actually complex and could work is great. Finally a main-series female Professor! Interesting rivals, (Trip is a butt, but he's cool. Bianca is... well... she's Bianca. Georgia and Burgundy are okay as sidekick rivals. Oshawott always pops out of his Poke ball and it makes me laugh every time, and he's cute. Ash is catching lots of Pokemon this series, so he has to switch which ones he has with him. Lots more, but overall I love this series.

I honestly like the straight-man/funny-guy Dent and Iris have developed into, with Iris becoming increasingly annoyed and flustered by Dent's countless "--Sommelier" and "--Time" moments. It's pretty weird since, at the beginning of the show, the roles were kind of reverse, but then Dent completely went off the deep-end and never went back. I kind of feel for Iris, though, because she's pretty much right. I still have no clue what the hell a Sommelier actually does in terms of Pokemon except for spurt off bizarre, fancy metaphors.

The occasionally Mulder/Scully thing they have going on in the supernatural episodes is also really neat, although I'd say that Dent is actually the Mulder, so to speak, since he's into solid scientific proof of aliens and "pseudo-scientific" explanations of paranormal activity as shown by the Elgyem episode, so to speak, which was how Mulder was since he always found a somewhat scientific explanation to the bizarre, if you think about it. Scully was the one who, when she wasn't a skeptic, believed in more "spiritual" mysteries like Isis does.

Dento lol x100 Really though I don't have many complaints about the series...actually I don't think I have any. I just watch it because it makes me happy...but somethings that I like (without rambling on about Dento...SPPf people know how much I go about him there...somehow I don't have as much fun rambling about his sparklez here...just because it follows the bandwagon. XDD BUT, I COMPLETELY LUrV HIS FISHING TIME IT NEEDS TO COME BACK!!!!!!!! x3333333 I was so happy his fishing pole got another appearance xDDD and his Detective Time...)

Other things I like:

-Iris being a wild gal
-Ash catching more than 6 Pokemon
-Bianca Mix Bianca with Iris and you kind of get me o_O;
-The colors
-The music

On the negatives..I'd just say the battles. While I enjoy it when Dento battles...when everyone else does I feel bored. I think this is a personal matter though rather than a legit negative. :p

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom