• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So who do you think will be the main villain?

Since GF promoted 'No Pokemon is Evil' thing, I think Lusamine will return, and we'll possibly see a misunderstood villain thing for Necrozma a la Darkrai.

Pokemon Villain only regarded to the anime and pokemon spin-off (like Mystery Dungeon), even though we haven't have a pokemon as a villain, but I don't GF would bring their attention to make pokemon as villains in the main game, that's the whole purpose of Villain team (Like Rocket, Aqua, Magma, Galactic, Plasma, Flare, and Skull). I think they want to keep Main Series and Spin-off separate.

Reviving this thread since I think the topic becomes interesting after the new reveals.

I think Ultra Recon squad will turn to ‘evil’ means to try and get their light back from Necrozma.
I guess Lusamine will also get a change of heart mid-story since she says something to the effect of “Run away from that monster” or something.

i don't think the Recon squad will be evil; i think they'll just use some questionable means to reach their end (which i guess would be restoring light to their city). after all, we do wear a recon squad suit while traveling through the wormholes so they can't stay bad.

i don't think the Recon squad will be evil; i think they'll just use some questionable means to reach their end (which i guess would be restoring light to their city). after all, we do wear a recon squad suit while traveling through the wormholes so they can't stay bad.
Watch as we’ve been lied to and manipulated by both them and Necrozma the entire time.

Personally, I feel the Ultra Recon Squad will not be bad guys, cause, if not, that could make the story-line predictable *cough*supposedly good guys*cough*true villain*cough*Aether Foundation*cough*.

I have a feeling that these games will not necessarily have a villain, but... yeah, maybe that seems like too much off-roading on GF's part.

How are the Ultra Recon Squad "supposedly good guys?" They're chasing Lillie in the intro like Aether did in SuMo, we already know that they're enemies in the game, and they also use UBs, who seem to be a major threat in this game. Hell, even their designs scream "sci-fi villains."

I do think they're going for a "no true villain" angle here with various factions causing conflicts for differing, justifiable reasons. But as far as the main antagonist? Probably Necrozma, Necrozma seems to be at the center of everything. It takes Nebby and its light, which Aether and by proxy Skull are after, and it takes Ultra Space's light, which affects the UBs and Ultra Recon Team. Defeating Necrozma will probably resolve everything going wrong in Alola and Ultra Space this game.

How are the Ultra Recon Squad "supposedly good guys?"
because there's no real indication that they're bad guys either? if anything, Necrozma is the antagonist, which is supported by the fact that it has stolen the light of one entire area (Ultra Megalopolis) and then steals the light from Nebby.
They're chasing Lillie in the intro like Aether did in SuMo,
i mean, two random grunts were replaced by two version-exclusive named characters so the implication there is that the Ultra Recon Squad is not a large group so much as literally those two characters (and maybe a "boss").
we already know that they're enemies in the game,
you battle plenty of non-villains in the series.
and they also use UBs, who seem to be a major threat in this game.
that's not supported by anything, especially considering that SM already establishes that UBs aren't existential threats so much as a general security threats.
Hell, even their designs scream "sci-fi villains."
sci-fi villains that gave you one of their suits so you could travel ultra space. they're at best gray antagonists.

Honestly I think Team Skull and the Aether Foundation team up with the Recon squad to fullfill whatever legendary story the game will have, and the Recon squad will punk them. And behind it all, is an antagonist we have yet to meet.

I guess Lusamine will also get a change of heart mid-story since she says something to the effect of “Run away from that monster” or something.

Another thing that's worth pointing out in the Japanese trailer is that Gladion seems to say something along the lines of "Mom's gone as well?!" in the Aether Paradise, according to the translation. So that would imply that maybe he took you and Hau there because he thought Lusamine had finally jumped off the deep end, as she did in SM, but in actuality maybe the Ultra Recon Squad kidnapped both her and Lillie.

There are rumors (based on leaks) that Mohn is going to play a role in the story, so if Lusamine finds out somehow that he's not in fact lost in Ultra Space, that could avert her descent into madness.

But yeah, all sources at the moment point towards Necrozma actually being the primary antagonist. Whether or not it will turn out to be a "misunderstood evil Pokemon" like Mewtwo, Darkrai, and Yvetal remains to be seen...

Last edited:
There are rumors (based on leaks) that Mohn is going to play a role in the story, so if Lusamine finds out somehow that he's not in fact lost in Ultra Space, that could avert her descent into madness.
Oh, I so want this to be true now that you mention it, just to see how it will play out. Obviously, it will depend on whether Lusamine does become the monomaniac in USUM, we know her become in SM.

I think the Recon Squad is going to be the villain, just like how Team Plasma turned out to be one, despite their seemingly "righteous" beliefs. Plus Necrozma.

Lol at Colress. People will never give up on him, huh? It got old 4 years ago.
However... I disagree!

Seriously though, from the new trailer it looks like the opening of the Ultra Wormhole and the coming of Necrozma is a natural phenomenon. That's why I think Necrozma will be the villain, or, like others have said before, perhaps an anti-hero-type similar to Darkrai from the 10th movie.

Despite the fact the Ultra Recon Squad definitely is suspicious, I think their role will lie mostly in the post-game. It seems you can only reach Ultra Megapolis using Solgaleo or Lunala, which means it'll be restricted until the after you've finished the main story. My prediction is that they will fulfill the role of Looker and Anabel in SM, but with a more eloborate story.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom