• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So who is the professor anyway?

what confuses me is the...humans. Throughout the series we had heard things like Pikachu speaking Spanish in the Live-Action movie and calling it French. Or one of the characters from the remake of the first movie having a accent. Do other languages in our world exist in that world? Or are the languages from the respective region? Then what region is spanish from :unsure:
Personally, I feel like countries still exist. It's just the the specific areas are different. So for example, Japan still exists and the language would still be Japanese, but instead of saying someone is from Kyoto they'd say they're from Ecruteak.

Sure, they've been moving away from that now with the retcon of Lt. Surge's title. But at the same time it still makes sense since we have multiple Japanese regions and two American ones.

Wow, that's interesting to hear! I don't know how many of the fans would recognise Count Tajirin, though, as it's from quite a long time ago. And as you've said, maybe they're not revealing the professor right away because it's someone with whom most of us are familiar. So, maybe it's from something more recent?

I don't know if this has already been discussed before, but I think AZ would be a good candidate too. He's wandering from region to region in search for his Floette, he's knowledgeable enough that he'd created the ultimate weapon, and he's from a relatively recent generation.

All in all, maybe they didn't reveal the professor because it's not that important anyway. Who knows?

The official Pokémon Professor from Legends. He looks like a nice person, though with a more modern design than I imagined, he could perfectly pass for a character of modern Sinnoh.

Legends_Arceus_Professor_Laventon.png

The fact that he says stuff like "jolly good" and his building has a Galarian Weezing makes me think he's actually from Galar.
He's a Galarian professor who's travelled the world, collecting species from each region he's visited, mostly dresses as though he may be from an early-industrial society, and who wants your help to complete his book on Pokémon ecology.

1629380058907.png

It may be possible that he has a connection to a character from the present day (and that his hair has been carefully concealed to obscure which one it is), but there's really nothing else about his person to suggest such a link - Rose and Leon & Hop all had distinctive eye colours, for example.

Honestly the first time I saw Professor Laventon I thought for a moment that he was a time traveler :LOL:, but in fairness Cyllene's clothes look modern as well.
IRL there would be plenty of scope for someone from an industrialised UK to visit a still-feudal Japan - perhaps 150 years, give or take. I suspect GF are attempting to create the impression that Arceus is set thousands of years ago as opposed to just a few hundred, but it's not completely incongruous to see a bow tie and pinstripe trousers next to traditional Japanese dress.

EDIT: I called it in April!
Depending on where the Legends series takes us, there's definitely a historical personality I'm chomping at the bit to see and was curiously missing from Galar. Given the themes of the series, it would be a missed opportunity not to have Darwin show up on 'The Bolthund'.

Last edited:
The official Pokémon Professor from Legends. He looks like a nice person, though with a more modern design than I imagined, he could perfectly pass for a character of modern Sinnoh.

I really hope he's a character from the future or related to the future in some way. Because, sincerely, his designer doesn't seem to make much sense in this game.

Honestly the first time I saw Professor Laventon I thought for a moment that he was a time traveler :LOL:, but in fairness Cyllene's clothes look modern as well.

Yes, but as Cyllene's figure is easily associated with Team Galactic, a villainous team with a futuristic style, and Cyrus, her design didn't bother me as much.

Last edited:
The clothing here doesn't seem to be an exact duplicate or fashion during any particular era in Japanese history tbh. But considering the architecture, collaboration with foreign regions, and some general stuff about Hokkaido, these games still feel mostly late 1800's-ish lol. Idk, it's interesting to me to try and snuff out the exact moment in time the game exists in, but you have to also consider that time and history in the Pokémon world may not be a complete carbon copy of our universe. I think there's an obvious excess of artistic license with this franchise.

Based on his clothing and the Galarian Weezing motif on his lab, I'm guessing that Professor Laverton is from Galar's equivalent of the Victorian era, which would mean the game is set somewhere between 120 and 180 years ago.
I would be a little careful about jumping to conclusions about when this game is set. It is true that Legends lifts aesthetics from the 19th Century Hokkaido Expedition, but that doesn't automatically mean that Legends is from that time either.

Apologies for the late reply but...

He's a Galarian professor who's travelled the world, collecting species from each region he's visited, mostly dresses as though he may be from an early-industrial society, and who wants your help to complete his book on Pokémon ecology.

While Darwin in Pokémon world would be pretty cool, I'm pretty sure given all the other little details in Legends that reference history that Professor Laventon is more likely to have been based on Thomas Blakiston, an English explorer and naturalist who during his stay in Japan was commissioned by the Japanese government to do an ecological survey of Hokkaido (Sinnoh) during the Northern Expedition. :unsure:

Apologies for the late reply but...

While Darwin in Pokémon world would be pretty cool, I'm pretty sure given all the other little details in Legends that reference history that Professor Laventon is more likely to have been based on Thomas Blakiston, an English explorer and naturalist who during his stay in Japan was commissioned by the Japanese government to do an ecological survey of Hokkaido (Sinnoh) during the Northern Expedition. :unsure:
HUH. You know, that sounds exactly right - learn something new every day.

EDIT: HE GREW UP IN LYMINGTON

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom