• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Social Group Clean Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I'm not a big (or even regular) social group user, nor do I expect my opinions to be taken as gospel, I would be remiss if I didn't at least register one particular concern that springs to mind regarding this new endeavour. Specifically:

3. Seven days from now, we'll delete all private groups. We feel that hiding conversations is not what social groups are for, and it make it harder for us to police things.

Whilst I understand the motivations behind this, I don't think straight up excision of the private group feature is a good idea, IMO. In particular, I'm thinking of groups like Bulbagayden, the LGBTQ group, and I'm sure there was a furries group at some point, too. Members of these groups, and groups like them, probably won't want their conversations being made public going forwards (in the event that their groups are recreated, which I would expect), for obvious reasons.

Perhaps it would be better to just give all new groups the option of applying for private status when requesting approval, which would be granted if sufficient reason was given (such as would be found, I'm sure, for the above), or something along these lines? Still, even if that approach proves to be unmanageable for the staff, I don't think banning private groups altogether is the right way to go either.

I apologise in advance if this has already been discussed (though I can't see that it has, at least in this capacity), but I feel like this issue needs to be raised.

Last edited:
The Zexalia hideout is a large part of the reason we realized there was a problem with private groups. Specifically, the flaming of a user that took place in the main thread of that group, with no one the wiser because only a small group of friends could see.

If you had any qualms with the Zexalia, wouldn't the wisest thing have been to talk about it? At least once before doing anything? I don't get why The Planetary Pit Stop had to suffer, when it shouldn't have even been considered of being deleted. It was a moderated group, and the staff didn't show any annoyance or problems taking care of it.

With that logic, you may as well remove PMs. Rulebreaking can happen privately through PMs. If it's happening in private groups you can take a look at with your admin powers, then you can use it at your advantage and do your job. With private groups now gone, you just made rulebreaking happening in PMs increase.

That was in no way, form, or shape acceptable, and the members of the group are lucky they got away without infractions and bans (so far).

Deleting the groups in less than an hour instead of the specified week, was "in no way, form, or shape acceptable", yet you expect us to agree with your conditions and take it as a "failure in communication" and just forgive you? For that to have happened, it must mean that the staff really didn't care about the aftermath, and that this wasn't discussed thoroughly and well enough to warrant any action whatsoever. Yeah, I get that it's your duty to take care of the site, and do what's best for it, but for the future, I suggest that there is an increase in communication with the users. They're a part of the forum, they are what keep this site active. Letting them have more of a say would make a positive relationship, and prevent badly thought out decisions from ever happening again.

Last edited:
We are rechecking the standards of what groups will be allowed and what will not be. There have been mistakes made and we do not want more mistakes like that. Depending on the circumstances, we might change the settings of a Group instead of deleting it altogether, but nothing is set in stone. You can expect that when the standards are decided, you'll be informed before anything actually changes.

What makes a group active or inactive?

What is the fate of my group - [URL="http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/cookie-lovers/]The Cookie Lovers[/URL]?

Well.

The Pit Stop is gone.

I know it was a mistake, but...

Even if I barely chatted in the Pit Stop, I liked it.

I'll go ahead and be pissed at the mod who deleted it, okay?

What makes a group active or inactive?

What is the fate of my group - Right now the inactivity limit we're planning on is "no activity in 2012". We may tighten that further if necessary, if we do, we'll inform you ahead of time. I think one clear lesson from this is that we want to be open and communicative about how any further action will go.
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/...back: [quote="Evil Figment, post: 4560642

The Planetary Pit Stop must have really meant a lot to quite a few, seems like a popular group. If it's ever remade I would have to check it out if possible.

I'd say it was a shame but it's not as if anyone actually bothers to post in them.

I quit about 15 fanclubs a couple nights ago because so many of them were inactive and most had less than 40 members. If anything, those should go first. We really don't need 15 Pikachu clubs, 15 Avatar clubs, a club for every obscure fandom that maybe 3 people know about... I'm exaggerating a little with those numbers, but you get the idea.

I'm a bit surprised that mods can't see into private groups without being a member, but I guess that makes sense... always just assumed I could be monitored at any time. However, that being said, private groups can be an escape where people can have conversations without any random person seeing or commenting on it. I understand the reasoning, but deleting private groups if they don't switch to public seems harsh, especially if the group is active but the person who runs the group hasn't been seen for weeks. There's no way for an admin to force a switch?

I actually thought so too. I had a private group, and a mod made a visit one time without being a member.

If I'm not mistaken, the admins, super mods, and mods responsible for managing social groups can see into them, but not other mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom