• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Social Group Clean Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
There are, at present, over 1800 social groups. They've become so numerous that it's impossible for the staff to keep an eye on them all. We need to dramatically reduce that number. For that reason, we will be proceeding to a large-scale clean up of social groups. This clean-up will include several steps:

1. We will close down creation of new groups, so that we don't get new groups created faster than we can clean them up.

2. All groups that are involved in inter-members drama and rule breaking will be deleted.

3. Seven days from now, we'll delete all private groups. We feel that hiding conversations is not what social groups are for, and it make it harder for us to police things.

4. We'll delete any inactive group.

5. We'll send notices to any duplicate groups, and any group that we feel is too generic, or which we feel is really taking activity away from Entertainment Inc, informing them that they will be closed. These groups will be deleted a few days after receiving their notice (the notice will give more details on how much time you have.)

Once we're finished, new social group rules will be posted. One of the new rules includes needing to contact a moderator or administrator if you wish to create a social group. Users will no longer have the option of creating groups themselves.

If anyone has questions about this, feel free to post.

Musashi

By "private groups," does that mean any group with content not visible to people outside of the group?

Any group where the posts are not visible to people outside the group. Because that mean that even regular moderators cannot see the posts in your group. For obvious reason, we're not okay with that.

Why not instead of contacting a mod about creating a new one, why not have every Social Group go through a mod to begin with?

Why not instead of contacting a mod about creating a new one, why not have every Social Group go through a mod to begin with?

That's not possible with the VBulletin software.

5. We'll send notices to any duplicate groups, and any group that we feel is too generic, or which we feel is really taking activity away from Entertainment Inc, informing them that they will be closed. These groups will be deleted a few days after receiving their notice (the notice will give more details on how much time you have.)
Well that, my friends, is the sure end of Fab's Madonna Free Zone.

Two questions about The Planetary Pit Stop - Bulbagarden Forums

2. All groups that are involved in inter-members drama and rule breaking will be deleted.
There's been a few arguments in the past, but nothing too serious. Does that fall under this?

We do discuss a lot of media and stuff like that in there sometimes.... Problem?

I'd really hate to see my favorite pit stop get shut down.... :-(

I think I need a bit more explanation of this part. Does this mean that any group that's not about one specific topic will be deleted? As in, any general chat group? I think I'm in the same basic boat as jokool, but my group is a bit smaller. It's also private, but I can change that if I absolutely have to.

@Mods

How will Fab's High Society, No Class, Madonna Free Zone - Bulbagarden Forums fare, given that most of the talk is about music or Niles Crane? I don't want to abandon my group to then recreate threads in Ent Inc with out any of the feeling that the Madonna Free Zone has. Yeah I could make a general music discussion thread, but it was nicer when we could derail with random pictures of Maeby @TheMissingno.; :D) or let it get out of hand. It was an unmodded place for people to freely talk about music, a heaven for people that weren't scared to swear or have strong opinions.

If this is the end for Fab's, it's only temporary, we'll rise again. We'll rape and pillage Ent Inc and ruin your crops.

I'm a bit surprised that mods can't see into private groups without being a member, but I guess that makes sense... always just assumed I could be monitored at any time. However, that being said, private groups can be an escape where people can have conversations without any random person seeing or commenting on it. I understand the reasoning, but deleting private groups if they don't switch to public seems harsh, especially if the group is active but the person who runs the group hasn't been seen for weeks. There's no way for an admin to force a switch?

I won't answer specific groups question. We'll examine the groups one by one and decide what to do with them.

1) In general if there's only been a little drama and a lot of non-drama, we won't hit you for drama. (we may close you for other reasons)
2) Forcing a switch would be far too cumbersome. And again, it would only help with one aspect of the problem - the bigger problem, the existence of nearly two thousand user groups, would be unsolved.
3) In general, yes, groups that have no specific topics will be closed. They're kind of like miniature forums, - dozens of them - and it complicate our job immensely.

I wouldn't mind it cause if it came to saving the mods trouble I would gladly close any I own down

I know it may seem simple to you, but I know some people (including me honestly...) would have a lot of difficulty shutting down their own group. Either they're attached to it and don't want to shut it down, or they are unable to be online any time soon to shut it down.

Indeed.

Just to add an extra note, we've decided that in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances, we may chose to let a closed group remain. By exceptional circumstances, I mean we're presented with a very good reason why 1)Bulbagarden needs to have that group and 2)That group need to be private. This will only be granted in very rare circumstances.

Why was my group deleted? It hasn't been 7 days and I would have made it a public group.

Seeing how the only group (The Planetary Pit Stop) I truly cared about is now gone, how do I get rid of the notifications I still have in my control panel for its discussions? Clicking on them is not making them go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom