• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Soft reseting stories

steelrhydon

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

Atm im sr'ing for a shiny rayquaza on my emerald so i wanted to start up a bit about your shortest and longest sr'ing shinies :)

My longest was 4,567

and shortest was 8

and im only on my 10th

I SRed for a shiny Regirock in Rock Peak Ruins for two to three weeks (didn't count the resets) with no results. I got frustrated, asked my SID to be looked up here in BMGf a week or two later, and after some calculations, landed the correct timedate and delay combination after 15 soft resets. Caught the shiny Relaxed 29/29/25/29/5/28 Regirock with a Master Ball. Currently trying to RNG abuse the Registeel in Iron Ruins.

E: I landed the correct delay on my 31st attempt. Now trying to get this shiny Sassy 21/24/21/28/24/15 Registeel to go in a regular ball (I have two Master Balls if everything else fails). Currently I've thrown about 80 Dusk and Timer Balls at it; I think it still has some PP left to hit my Leftovers Aerodactyl before it'll start Struggling :p)

Last edited:
Haha! My friend is currently doing the exact same thing as you! XD He's SR'd maybe a thousand times at this point. n.n; It's sort of a weekend project for him, so it's not gonna get done way too fast. XD;

I've never SR'd myself... Although, I'm considering doing it for a shiny Shaymin starting tomorrow. :3

Aaaand, finally, I've heard stories of SRing, like, 10000 times. XD;

- Tyros

the only time i ever soft reset was when i found a combee in a honey tree but it had a bad nature. after resetting it was brave, which would be decent for vespiquen ;p

i wouldn't have the patience to soft reset for shinies.

I'm going to start soft resetting for Shaymin tomorrow.

I tried to soft-reset for a female starter on Ruby and didn't even have the patience for that XD (Got male Mudkip and Treecko...and once I gave up I got a female Torchick o.o) so I never tried to soft-reset for shines...

I'm still soft-resetting for each starter in shiny form. Trying to hatch them from eggs. I don't know how long I've been doing that, probably since July. ._.

I've never reset. I've never really gone into trying to get certain natures or shinies anything like that.

My friend's little brother reset a couple hundred times to get a shiny Azelf, though. What a silly-billy.

I soft resetted a little bit for a shiny once, but gave up. There's a way to figure out when to SR to get a good IV'd shiny, but I can't understand it anyway.

The most SRing I ever did was in August 2008, when I got an almost flawless FlinchKiss.

Well I fail at SRing stories because the only time I've ever tried was to get a female combee. So I guess the longest it's taken for me to get what I want is, like, two or something.

I've SR for 5 days to get a shiny Torchic. I think it was well worth it. But that's the only time I'll SR for shinies. Now I mostly do it for natures.

Last night I managed to get a Bold female Eevee from Bebe... but the battery died and I lost it D:

Soft reseting's for people who want legit shinies.
Soft resetting is for people who want legit shinies the way it was originally meant by the game developers. RNG abuse, while still legit, makes it a whole lot easier :p (guess who'll try to get a shiny Mild high-EV'd Shaymin with his Oak's Letter?)

Last week, while playing Platinum; as soon as I got to Hearthome City and healed up, I went straight to Bebe's House and saved the game. After three or four soft resets... I got a Mild female Eevee. Yay!

She's now a Flareon; and I've been feeding her Dry Poffin, as well as taking advantage of her quickly developing Special Attack stat -- she's nearly at level 50!

Back on topic...

I definitely wanted a female Eevee/Flareon, but ended up getting the Nature I wanted without even trying!

Hi,
I know this is highly unlikely, but possible,
has anyone SR-ed for a shiny shaymin yet?
Just curious,
Thanks.

Soft resetting is for people who want legit shinies the way it was originally meant by the game developers. RNG abuse, while still legit, makes it a whole lot easier :p (guess who'll try to get a shiny Mild high-EV'd Shaymin with his Oak's Letter?)

RNG abuse is essentially glitch abuse. Abusing glitches (e.g. cloning) != legit.

RNG abuse is essentially glitch abuse. Abusing glitches (e.g. cloning) != legit.

The PRNG isn't a glitch; it's the way the game deals with data to randomize the encounter and information of a Pokémon, as well as the game mechanics of battles and breeding. And even if you think it's a glitch, in my opinion, glitches that ANYBODY with a copy of the game can abuse =/= cheating.

An example of the above is that Japanese players in the last VGC used PRNG abuse for most of their Pokémon; if they were really cheating in the first place, why Nintendo didn't say or do anything about it?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom