• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Soft-Resetting for shinies!

Frost Mage

Reaction score
So I saw Shiny-Hunter's thread when I googled soft-resetting on google, and since that one is not only related to the 4th generation and its last post is at least a year old, I decided to make a new one. So since I caught my first shiny randomly the other day, I've really gotten into them. So for the past 2 days I've been doing not a whole lot besides soft-resetting for Volcarona in White, and so far no such luck. And I thought that maybe here would be a good place to discuss your soft-reset stories to give everyone out there who is trying their luck a little more faith. :D

It's just a luck matter. I spent like 4 hours SRing for a shiny starter on HG, and got a shiny Totodile. Then I was SR for a shiny sudowoodo but no luck at all.

I think I know the thread you're talking about; reading it encouraged me to start soft resetting myself.
I'm trying for a shiny Piplup in Plantium, and I want to try and fill my Pokedex in White 2 to get the Shiny Charm. ^-^

Sigh. This thread makes me nostalgia. I used to be an avid SRer before I joined the RNG Abuse community. Good luck to you all, and remember that good things come to those who are patient.

Just got a Shiny Eevee last Monday!!! I was soft resetting for it in my Pokemon Firered Version during a college lecture and I thought to myself, "gee wouldn't it be nice if I got the shiny Eevee right now", and then all of a sudden bam, jackpot :ching: !! I look at my Gameboy SP screen and then I saw it!! I was so surprised! Later, I traded it to my friend's Emerald version to use the cloning glitch on it. So I cloned like 35 shiny Eevees!!! I then transferred them to my Heartgold version, which took a while since I Pal-parked all 35 of them!! I was so excited afterwards though. So now I can have all 8 shiny Eeveelutions once X and Y come out! Soft-resetting for the shiny Eevee took a total of about 2.5 months. So I was excited when I got it during my college lecture!! :ksmile:

Just got a Shiny Eevee last Monday!!! I was soft resetting for it in my Pokemon Firered Version during a college lecture and I thought to myself, "gee wouldn't it be nice if I got the shiny Eevee right now", and then all of a sudden bam, jackpot :ching: !! I look at my Gameboy SP screen and then I saw it!! I was so surprised! Later, I traded it to my friend's Emerald version to use the cloning glitch on it. So I cloned like 35 shiny Eevees!!! I then transferred them to my Heartgold version, which took a while since I Pal-parked all 35 of them!! I was so excited afterwards though. So now I can have all 8 shiny Eeveelutions once X and Y come out! Soft-resetting for the shiny Eevee took a total of about 2.5 months. So I was excited when I got it during my college lecture!! :ksmile:

Did you take note of how much time passed from the moment you loaded your game til the moment you got that Eevee? Assuming the internal battery has died, all pokémon encountered at that specific time WILL be shiny.

Did you take note of how much time passed from the moment you loaded your game til the moment you got that Eevee? Assuming the internal battery has died, all pokémon encountered at that specific time WILL be shiny.

No I did not take note, I was just soft-resetting like crazy. It took a long time, days upon days before I finally got that Eevee. And while I was soft-resetting in the college lecture, I did not get the shiny Eevee until about 30 minutes into the lecture. All the Eevees I soft-resetted over were not shiny before that time. So I do not know what you are getting at. This was totally legit, I was really lucky and it really did take me 2.5 months to get this Shiny Eevee. And btw, I have no idea how to RNG abuse. Can u tell me how?

Eh never mind, I derped. Fire Red and Leaf Green lack an internal clock. My bad.
Either way, it's impossible to RNG those two games without the aid of a hex editor or a memory viewer, effectively making it a hack. Please just disregard my previous post. ;-;

Eh never mind, I derped. Fire Red and Leaf Green lack an internal clock. My bad.
Either way, it's impossible to RNG those two games without the aid of a hex editor or a memory viewer, effectively making it a hack. Please just disregard my previous post. ;-;

ok, so can you tell me how to RNG abuse? Please? I want to know how I can RNG abuse in my gen 4 and gen 5 (Both Black and White and B2W2) games. So can you tell me how to do so?

Let's keep this thread to SRing, shall we? There are numerous other threads about RNG abuse.

On another note, I haven't been keeping track of my resets, but I'd say that since I've been SRing virtually all day, that I'm at about 1500-2000 by now. You will be mine, shiny Volcarona!

Heh, I've had some success with SRing on my copy of Pearl. Got my shiny Palkia in 30 minutes with 35 resets and nailed down a shiny Giratina in two days worth of resets. I even got a shiny male Combee while I was trying to reset for a female.

Yeah, I caught the useless little thing. It's cute but that's about it. When it popped up with a sparkle, I groaned, laughed and threw a ball at it. (You know, now that I think about it, that may constitute a WTF? moment...)

Ahhh this takes me back. In October 2006, I got the idea from some folks on Serebii to soft reset for a shiny Lugia in Emerald. In a few days, I'd estimate less than 500 soft resets, I saw it shine. Like WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH omg. That day. When I went to go get the other bird on Navel Rock island, well... Shiny Ho-oh took 11 months to appear. Isn't that just grand? Since it all happened in Emerald, which has a broken RNG anyways, I'm just relieved I was able to find shinies.

I've tried soft resetting for a shiny Cresselia before, but that was too tedious. I actually haven't shiny hunted in years, haha.

Is soft-resetting really a dying art?

So since Gen V, RNGing is sort of the go-to way to get shinies, IVs, and EVs for certain Pokemon. But I recently heard that soft-resetting in Unova is the way that people who can't RNG get shinies faster... is this true, or are there still SRers out there?

Re: Is soft-resetting really a dying art?

The shiny hunters on YouTube still SR I think. There's people who dislike RNG abuse, and prefer to SR.

I've tried SRing for shiny Shaymin and shiny Virizion. No such luck, though, just like shiny breeding. :\

Let's keep this thread to SRing, shall we? There are numerous other threads about RNG abuse.

On another note, I haven't been keeping track of my resets, but I'd say that since I've been SRing virtually all day, that I'm at about 1500-2000 by now. You will be mine, shiny Volcarona!

Wow! I'm doing the exact same thing, and am currently at 1158 SRs. This is the fist time I've tried to soft reset, and I'm still kind of getting used to it. The thing that I don't understand though is that I've seen people saying that they've gotten a shiny in under 500 SRs! I've been doing this for about a week now!

The thing that I don't understand though is that I've seen people saying that they've gotten a shiny in under 500 SRs! I've been doing this for about a week now!

Don't give up! I got a shiny Charmander in just 3 SRs on SoulSilver, but it took me months to get my shiny Shaymin on Platinum!

As for my other shiny SRing attempts that I switch between... No luck at all. Might try for Ho-Oh or Giratina again later, though. I'm really determined to get some more shinies before X and Y come out.

I've SR'ed a few times for females (I used a copy of Pearl to get females for all three Sinnoh starters, which took over an hour in total), but shinies? No way, sir, I'd rather encounter them in the wild.

That being said, I was pretty lucky in both XD and Platinum to get a female Eevee without SR.

Heh, it seems like I've stopped SRing completely since I created this thread! ;o; I might just go back to Volcarona... :D

I tried a counted 4,000 times for a regirock and over a month for a kyurem with no such luck and gave up

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom