• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Some bizarre May hate on twitter I notice to this day

Cybersai

Reaction score
I guess its because you don't see any hate to her on forums anymore, but when you go to social media, it's pretty obvious how hated her character still is:

View: https://twitter.com/CaptainCutter/status/1293640404118642688

View: https://twitter.com/CaptainCutter/status/1293640724617916421

View: https://twitter.com/CaptainCutter/status/1293641142232203264

Not only are there many other twitter posts like that, but also the attached image I added below was a reply to Pokemon.com's official facebook page about the Hoenn seasons being added on Pokemon TV.

I guess wrongly just viewing Pokemon forums gave me the impression May was relatively well liked, but go anywhere on platforms where most hardcore anime fans don't visit, she's almost universally disliked. I don't even think characters like Iris or even Serena get this much hate from casual fans simply because they never watched their seasons or got up to those points, but since Hoenn came directly after the original series, it's what they were still exposed to.

Attachments

• jjj.PNG
    jjj.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Really now, May is my number one favourite girl in the show, probably the number one favourite character in the show. And those tweets are so wrong.

May isn't moronic, she is pretty much just like Ash. If these people don't consider Ash moronic but only May, then they are just misogynists, nothing else.

There is nothing wrong in not liking Pokemon at first. Not everyone has to start out loving Pokemon on first sight. And she does love them later on (character development!). And so what if she likes only cute Pokemon? She is a ten year old girl, let her be girly. Misty hated bug-types for no reason at all, but nobody criticizes that.

And yes, she doesn't want to be Pokemon trainer, but nothing wrong with that either. We got to see a different profession of Pokemon Coordinator thanks to her. Not everyone in the Pokemon world has to become a Pokemon trainer.

She obviously has a purpose and goal. She wants to become a Top Coordinator. Anyone with common sense can tell that.

Nothing wrong in her being clueless at the beginning of her journey either. Ash wasn't any different. And I am seriously starting to think that person in the screenshots is a misogynist.

I won't even get into the annoying and whiny insults, because they are universally used for a lot of female characters, and only female characters. (Just look at the reviews of any YA novel with a female lead).

Personally, I think people hate May because she doesn't come across as tomboyish and dashing to them. They think there can be only one way for female characters to be strong.
And you are right, they probably haven't watched the later seasons. They only know Misty and May, and out of them Misty comes across as smarter and experienced than Ash, so they respect her. May is a newbie, so it's easy for these people to hate on her.

I actually follow some Tumblr blogs that are May-fans! I can message you their list if you want! But most of them are inactive now.

This is making me feel so weird about never minding Misty's replacement at all. I didn't hate Misty, but I never hated May either.

Well keep in mind these posts also have nothing to do with Misty leaving, they're just talking about May in general. A lot of these people also like most of the other female leads except for May. Like here's another tweet from someone else from August 9th (last week):

View: https://twitter.com/keriwhy/status/1292640203430080512

View: https://twitter.com/keriwhy/status/1292641151363710978

I mean, these people like the other characters (the person in the tweet above says she likes the Sun/Moon cast), but for some reason...she finds May the most annoying female character of the series and talks about how much she hates her.

Like it's absolutely bizarre. Obviously not everyone has to like May, I don't care if you don't like her or whatever, but then you come across these people with sheer hatred for her and talk about how annoying she is...like are we watching the same show?

Well keep in mind these posts also have nothing to do with Misty leaving, they're just talking about May in general.
I know, but I was there when it happened. I didn't know I was supposed to hate her at all. :p I also liked that she had a concrete goal unlike Misty. Also, when where Misty and Brock underappreciated?

I mean May hasn't been part of the anime in nearly 15 years since 2006, and some of them still harbor such hatred of her after two decades, lol. Anyway it's just something I came across.

Last edited:
Why is this surprising? She starts out as a trainer with selfish intentions - she plans to go around and travel without a care of the Pokemon she'll have. As Advance continues, she quickly neglects Torchic for her pretty pretty butterfly, to the point where it tries to train itself to capture her interest. It's only when it's strong and evolved that she seems to actually care for it. So How on earth will she not receive hate out of this?

Why is this surprising? She starts out as a trainer with selfish intentions - she plans to go around and travel without a care of the Pokemon she'll have. As Advance continues, she quickly neglects Torchic for her pretty pretty butterfly, to the point where it tries to train itself to capture her interest. It's only when it's strong and evolved that she seems to actually care for it. So How on earth will she not receive hate out of this?

In any case she isn't, the reason I brought up those tweets from those people is they have a minority opinion that doesn't reflect the fandom as a whole. Most people on forums and the main pokemon anime fans on twitter consider her one of the best developed characters of the show. It's also rather obvious reading tweets like those, that those people take scenes out of context, every female companion has episodes where they act "like a brat" or throw a tantrum for no reason, hell Misty did that for most of the early Kanto eps. But if it makes sense for a characters development, it's good.

Also May neglecting Torchic was addressed in the anime itself, so again it was part of her development.

Last edited:
In any case she isn't

In any case, she really is but please go on ahead and enjoy your rose colored glasses.

the reason I brought up those tweets from those people is they have a minority opinion that doesn't reflect the fandom as a whole

It doesn't actually seem to be a minority opinion at all because threads like this one are made several times a year in numerous forums by Scott. So I really doubt that it's a minority opinion. Had it really been a minority opinion then all those numerous threads created by Scott would not exist and I would not be writing this.

Most people on forums and the main pokemon anime fans on twitter consider her one of the best developed characters of the show

Definitely not one of the best developed characters tbh. I have never seen anything positive about her on twitter nor the forums. Always negative and extremely bizarre things that don't make sense about her character. But you see her as a Mary Sue so Idk what else to tell you really.

It's also rather obvious reading tweets like those, that those people take scenes out of context

It's also rather obvious reading tweets like those, that May is one of the most bizarre characters in the series. After all, she didn't even like Pokémon in a world infested with them.

Also May neglecting Torchic was addressed in the anime itself, so again it was part of her development.

Torchic as her first deserved more attention. They should have bonded first, but instead, the poor little one stays in the Pokéball way too often. Torchic was neglected and ignored until it evolved. Yet that is part of her development? lmao. These parts of her character were not handled well at all. It's a mess really.

Last edited:
"it's pretty obvious how hated her character still is"? You posted 1 person's opinion and it seems like only 1 other person even Liked what that person had to say so why does it even bother you? There are just as many people who bash Iris, Misty, Dawn, Chloe and every other companion Ash had. What's the point of focusing on the vocal minority anyways?

^ Well it's true it's just one persons post, there are others out there (obviously I don't want to flood this blog with twitter links, so I didn't post a bunch of stuff that I could of)

sorry to ping you guys but I did this with others since I know not everyone visits the blog section, can you guys look at the twitter posts in the first post of this thread, why do you guys think May gets so much dislike in the fandom for being annoying or irritating as a character?. Since it's negative opinions on May's character strictly about her personality, what do you guys think about it? Do you think it's a weird reaction/take on her character?

Last edited:
"Horrible person" is definitely a weird take considering it's...objectively untrue lmfao. I mean people are well within their rights to dislike May (or any character) as much as they want, but "horrible person" just isn't an accurate descriptor. Just say you don't like the character.

I just liked May's fighting scene between Sceptile and Blaziken. Other than that I didn't really find her interesting. Dawn was pulled off better imo.
Eh, I didn't find it all that enjoyable actually. The battle itself was merely okay. It felt quite bizarre that we hardly even saw May giving commands or responding to Blaziken getting hit, even though Ash was shown plenty. The animation left a lot to be desired. And my Goodness, that had to be the absolute lamest cliffhanger in the history of the series. Sceptile using it's tail to swat Blaziken away, and Blaziken back flipping to avoid Bullet Seed onslaughts were some of the highlights though~

Eh, I didn't find it all that enjoyable actually. The battle itself was merely okay. It felt quite bizarre that we hardly even saw May giving commands or responding to Blaziken getting hit, even though Ash was shown plenty. The animation left a lot to be desired. And my Goodness, that had to be the absolute lamest cliffhanger in the history of the series. Sceptile using it's tail to swat Blaziken away, and Blaziken back flipping to avoid Bullet Seed onslaughts were some of the highlights though~
Understandable. I just liked it because 7 year old me liked everything to do with battles

Without doubt the bashing in those tweets is unwarranted. But Scott, don't you think you're taking this a little personally?... You have cited two people's (extreme) opinions. I have never seen anyone really bash Haruka/May, like, ever, anywhere. I have seen more dislike/controversy over literally every other main character. Maybe you're finding this stuff because you're actively looking for it? I dunno, p sure I read more TRio hate than most because I am telepathically summoned wherever they are mentioned on the internet...

Without doubt the bashing in those tweets is unwarranted. But Scott, don't you think you're taking this a little personally?... You have cited two people's (extreme) opinions. I have never seen anyone really bash Haruka/May, like, ever, anywhere. I have seen more dislike/controversy over literally every other main character. Maybe you're finding this stuff because you're actively looking for it? I dunno, p sure I read more TRio hate than most because I am telepathically summoned wherever they are mentioned on the internet...

I think so too, iikanji. Obviously Scott has to be purposely searching for this because he'd never see them otherwise. So yeah, that's what I find really odd, I obviously don't mind what he "searches" in general but I find that rather odd.

If someone bashed a character I like I'd be mad too but I wouldn't go out of my way to argue with them because people aren't going to change their opinions if they've already decided not to like a character.

I am a little surprised that anyone has negative things to say about May. Sure there are complaints that people can make about her or any other Pokegirl but I never thought she was a bad character, just not my favorite cast member from the olden days.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom